Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

They still need to install the "sparklies" wiring. I hope they made them green and not the standard white. This is still in softs so I think there are bits and bobs that need to be finished up (lookin at you AC!) Originally there were supposed to be a bunch of screens in queue and a couple of 3D ones so I don't know if those are still going in or they got cut. Would help with the story complaints I am seeing.

:saw:

Sorry, no smiley with scissors.

ohh that is insane. They can't expect people to go through a line blind. The only way I can see this working is if they have a bin for glasses when you actually get on the ride. The ride itself isn't the problem, but finding my way to the ride? Yeah, that wouldn't be possible. I'm like 20/250 for a lazy eye. Me stumbling along could be very dangerous.
Yeah they had bins at the load platform, which I found out after waiting 30-45 minutes. I had a long discussion with a manager who insisted it was a reguirement of the ride manufacturer. My main concern aside from riding a coaster without being able to see was in the rare occurrence a ride evacuation happened I wouldn't want to be in that situation without glasses.

While Universal's metal detectors and strict policy is annoying I can at least respect that it's not as absurdly ridiculous as that.

I'm really confused by this project, the majority of stuff I had heard was happening...hasn't. There is a large amount of queue line stuff that has been cut. Not only screens but large redesigned areas which haven't even been touched, it does beg the question, why was it down so long? Unless there was serious underground issues which needed fixing and gave them an excuse to refurb the attraction.
Oh, I did however hear that the famous generator/sub station has been replaced, maybe this helped the refurb along also?

Bummer, there were something like 65 screens in the original plan. I see a lot around but not enough to give the story it seems.

Hah! Dude! I think this is the first time I've seen someone publicly post the original number. There's about 25 in there now, with nothing special.

...the real shame is that ~20 of those original displays would have really made people impressed. The mandatory in-line photo op not so much, but everything else.

You got that lasik thingy done? *shivers*

No, ICL. But I probably have to also get Lasik done soon. ICL is behind in the US and they don't have the right contacts here to correct for Astigmatism. So I may have to get Lasik to correct for that. For now I have just made my text bigger on my phone and computer.

Europe they have the right lenses approved, but who knows when they will be approved here and I was sick of paying $350 a year for contacts and $200 every other year for glasses.

I'm really confused by this project, the majority of stuff I had heard was happening...hasn't. There is a large amount of queue line stuff that has been cut. Not only screens but large redesigned areas which haven't even been touched, it does beg the question, why was it down so long? Unless there was serious underground issues which needed fixing and gave them an excuse to refurb the attraction.
Oh, I did however hear that the famous generator/sub station has been replaced, maybe this helped the refurb along also?

You're not the only one. There's a serious disconnect between vendors, contractors, marketing, and creative that has been happening.

Compartmentalization and isolation between departments is higher than it has ever been. I understand the creative lead wanting to look good to their higher ups by coming under budget, but for god's sake couldn't someone have told marketing about the changes before they hyped up the storyline portion of the ride that wasnt even there? Now marketing looks like fools when they're some of the smartest guys in the business. Or maybe tell the vendors "hey, you know that custom software and you've been working on for 8 months? In the end won't be used" before they show up on site.

In the end it was pennies saved for a lessened experience, and it won't matter at all to higher ups because guest satisfaction will still be high. General public doesn't care.

This should have been the first big coaster with an actual story with a beginning, middle, an end, and a reason for the coaster portion.

I found out when I went to Knott's Berry Farm they don't allow any glasses of any kind on their roller coasters. I was pretty annoyed and didn't end up riding any of the coasters, not too much of a point if you can't see. Also it's really not safe to go on a coaster if you can't see.

That's definitely not true. I was just there three months ago and I rode with prescription glasses on every coaster. They do not allow sunglasses, however.

(edit: and yes, they use a cubby system at the station. Slows the dispatch time horribly)

Compartmentalization and isolation between departments is higher than it has ever been. I understand the creative lead wanting to look good to their higher ups by coming under budget, but for god's sake couldn't someone have told marketing about the changes before they hyped up the storyline portion of the ride that wasnt even there? Now marketing looks like fools when they're some of the smartest guys in the business. Or maybe tell the vendors "hey, you know that custom software and you've been working on for 8 months? In the end won't be used" before they show up on site.

Someone should be on the lookout for a UC member and ask them if the attraction is completely finished; are the videos going to get more explanatory of the story.

I don't understand your "8 months" "won't get used" statements. What exactly are you referring too?

That's definitely not true. I was just there three months ago and I rode with prescription glasses on every coaster. They do not allow sunglasses, however.

(edit: and yes, they use a cubby system at the station. Slows the dispatch time horribly)
Well this was several years back. So it sounds like they reversed that policy then, that's good to hear.

You're not the only one. There's a serious disconnect between vendors, contractors, marketing, and creative that has been happening.

In the end it was pennies saved for a lessened experience, and it won't matter at all to higher ups because guest satisfaction will still be high. General public doesn't care.

This should have been the first big coaster with an actual story with a beginning, middle, an end, and a reason for the coaster portion.

This whole situation has been weird. Really weird.

I guess between this post and the newly announced grand opening in like, two days, that the only thing we should expect is the A/C to be fixed and that the queue is pretty much done?

Ouch.

Ah well, at least the coaster looks cool.