Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 236 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I will be honest guys I don't care if this isn't the big grand remodel we thought it was going to be.
I am booked for Universal on the weekend of the 20th and a month ago I was pretty sure that Hulk and Kong both would either be not quite open yet or just in softs and I would either miss out on riding it, or there would be loads of tech difficulties. But now it looks like the park will be good as new when I get there and I am stoked about that. Negative reviews will not damper my excitement over a new ride and a ride that was already great before refurbishment.
Not to mention theres a sliver of a chance that Toothsome might soft open while I am there.
I am all giddy.

I will be honest guys I don't care if this isn't the big grand remodel we thought it was going to be.
I am booked for Universal on the weekend of the 20th and a month ago I was pretty sure that Hulk and Kong both would either be not quite open yet or just in softs and I would either miss out on riding it, or there would be loads of tech difficulties. But now it looks like the park will be good as new when I get there and I am stoked about that. Negative reviews will not damper my excitement over a new ride and a ride that was already great before refurbishment.
Not to mention theres a sliver of a chance that Toothsome might soft open while I am there.
I am all giddy.
Toothsome staff say middle of the month. If they are right you are good to go:thumbsup:

I have not ridden yet, but I am very knowledgeable about pre-upgrade hulk. It sounds to me like the old was better as far as storyline is concerned. I can not believe there is no ross, no hulk, no banner? I mean is this something legal is involved in or what? They honestly could have redone hulk and still used the comic hulk and ross and banner and would have ended up better than this it seems. Idk.. but there is a lot of pro's also like the ride exterior and effects and the overall look is definitely a plus. I will honestly have to ride to really really be convinced though. @midwaymayhem had nothing bad to say, it's just seeming like 50/50 which I was not expecting.

Reactions: DrakeParker
I think the biggest upgrade is the lockers. Those things were easy, quick and painless to use. They need to go in everywhere ASAP :)

I am all giddy.

giphy.gif

BTW even though the park "opens" at 9 they had Hulk running at 8am today for all guests (side note Kong was up around 8:30). Rode it a couple of times, much smoother, but yeah I thought the story wasn't presented clearly, similarly to the issues people have with Kong. Also they need to do something more to distinguish the front row line vs. the other lines, because most guests think the two lines are identical.
Wonder if it will be like that tomorrow, maybe I'll make sure I am early.
As for front row line, is it the same setup as before? A lot of times it really is people's fault for not reading signs, I have noticed that a lot of times with Kraken in Seaworld. Oh, this is front row ... yes, that is why the overhead sign says so, had you not been busy posting on facebook you would have (maybe) noticed that. Hopefully with Hulk not allowing phones, maybe more people will see the signs lol

Well let's keep in mind, it seems the queue really didn't start work until 3 months ago; not when the coaster closed down.

This is what i'm finding really odd about the whole situation. Why wasn't the queue being built when the coaster was being rebuilt?

I only see 2 reasons; poor planning or that a restoration was being planned but something happened that required moving up the timeline drastically before the plans could be finalised.

I'd say everything is an improvement, sans the story. I get the hate on that.

If I may jump on a soapbox a bit.

I believe some of the push back may be a bit of what the end result was, in comparison to what rumors originally had described. That's the problem with rumors, besides something getting lost in translation, it also means that something can be changed during the design/construction process. To the General Public, they'd be none the wiser of any of this (Off-topic - I saw someone on my FB say "Hulk Soft Opened, I guess that means they made the launch softer.") ; but the hardcore fan follows every nook and cranny while it's being built and have seen many different reports and speculation that they are bound to build up their own hype based on their own imagination. It's better to judge on what's presented in front of you, instead of judging of what you thought it could have been. The Hulk Coaster received new trains, on-board audio, new track, a renovated queue with a modernized look and a better launch effect. All those are positives from the previous version.

The story argument isn't without merit. However, this isn't Kong. You're getting on a roller coaster. Would it add to the experience? Sure; but it doesn't detract from it.

Now I will say some other things have been odd..... but that's more in line of them opening this as ASAP as they are.

This is the fair way to look at it. You can't really blame the ride for being something it's not. Having the ride back with the improvements is a good thing.

Though on the other hand, I also think it's fair to compare to what was announced in the press release. The press release has 3 bullet points:
  • A totally new ride vehicle that features a sleek, modern design and powerful audio system that blares an exclusive, original ride score by Patrick Stump, front man for internationally-renowned rock band, Fall Out Boy
  • A new, original storyline and completely redesigned queue experience that places guests inside a perilous scientific experiment led by the nefarious villain, General Thaddeus Ross
  • An immense new attraction entrance featuring The Hulk himself
2 out of 3 isn't bad.

I had the opportunity to ride first thing this morning, so I guess I'll throw in my thoughts on the whole thing as someone who never liked the original ride. On board audio is great. The tunnel's screen things are really cool, I was really surprised by them and while I think a combo of the old Banner speach and the new lights would be the best, I think overall this was an improvement. Being able to actually ride two or three times without severe head trama is also awesome :lol:.
The whole ride just feels like a refurbished old Hulk, which isn't a good thing considering the scale of this rebuild. I just can't fathom why Universal rebuilt the ride in the exact same layout instead of just buying new trains and saving tons of cash or creating a new and more exciting second half for the same price.
My disapointment stemmed from believing this refurb would feel like a new experience while in reality, at least in my opinion, it was only a refurb.
As a refurb, Universal did excellent.

I had the opportunity to ride first thing this morning, so I guess I'll throw in my thoughts on the whole thing as someone who never liked the original ride. On board audio is great. The tunnel's screen things are really cool, I was really surprised by them and while I think a combo of the old Banner speach and the new lights would be the best, I think overall this was an improvement. Being able to actually ride two or three times without severe head trama is also awesome :lol:.
The whole ride just feels like a refurbished old Hulk, which isn't a good thing considering the scale of this rebuild. I just can't fathom why Universal rebuilt the ride in the exact same layout instead of just buying new trains and saving tons of cash or creating a new and more exciting second half for the same price.
My disapointment stemmed from believing this refurb would feel like a new experience while in reality, at least in my opinion, it was only a refurb.
But it was always known to be a refurb.

Reactions: Mike S
Disney/Marvel?
"Uncooperative" from Brandon, and "Something's rotten in Denmark" from Test Track. You may be on to something. . It could be the first shot fired in the future "Guardian's of the Galaxy' war....This all is starting to sound like an old time multi issue Marvel comic book mass battle series, "Disney vs. Universal, a Galactic Battle" :fight:......Of course, like you, I'm just surmising. :)

This is because the track had a max-recommended lifespan of 16 years before replacement is needed.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
What's the lifespan on Rip Ride Rockit? Please say 8 years.

Not sure, I only know of hulk since it's been mentioned on here a bunch of times.

EDIT: After a quick 5 minute google, I couldn't find anything about track life's, however B&M have multiple coasters still in operation that are way older than Hulk. The recommended track life might be due more to the comfort of the ride than the safety itself so who knows.