Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 222 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see the lower level of the discovery center turned into a loading area for a new ride, with the queue built into the north side of the building and much of the ride utilizing the trike plot. I have an idea for a gyrosphere ride combining the DNA lab tour with a safari utilizing 360 projection domes, live sets and animatronics. Still needs some fleshing out but I will try to work on drawings and renderings when i'm not at work. The problem is that, I dont know if they could truly do the gyrosphere from the movie (i'm thinking more of an acrylic sphere on a trackless motion base platform, and of course the issue of capacity) but I would take an near omnimover approach.

If they did this idea for a gyro sphere ride it would a crazy over haul that wouldn't time so well with Kong because they might have to stretch the ride toward their. Plus they might have to take out camp Jurassic. Who wants that. I just don't see it. I feel like it could work. BUT it will be like Antarctica. Small space= bad ride.

Not ncessarily. Its more how the space is used than appearant availibility. I.E. Transformers takes up a relatively small footprint for the caliber of the ride. The trike plot would be more than sufficient for a solid ride if used properly.

Antartica just has as a weak story and misused a very flexible ride system. Bad story/ bad execution=Bad ride

I see the Gyrosphere best suited as something like Disney's Sum of all Thrills. Put the sphere on a Kuka arm and inside a projection dome. One thing to keep in mind is it seats 2 people per ride vehicle.

Last edited:
First time posting on here to share/reinforce some little tidbits.
1. UC is verrrry interesting in exploring the gyrosphere for future attractions.
2. Universal is developing an incredible and deeply immersive new JURASSIC WORLD virtual reality experience for the oculus rift. The experience functions as a virtual visit to Jurassic world with a about 10 different vignettes each taking place in a different area or ride. At the moment the technology is limited in so far as all of the experiences require the participant to be seated down but having participated in a demo a few weeks ago i can tell you it's one of the most incredible immersive experiences I've ever had. 360 degrees of being in a losing breathing jungle with a gorgeous apatosaurus - brought to life by ILM themselves! The same production house responsible for all the Jurassic films. With the increasing viability of VR as an entertainment/storytelling device I can VERY easily imagine how UC can bring the gyro experience to life in ways you wouldn't believe AND be able to accommodate a very high volume of guests. Not sure how expensive maintenance would be for a VR equipped attraction but I would be thrilled if this approach was taken. Here's a pretty shoddy video of the experience below:

Keeping my fingers crossed we get something special. A day doesn't go by that I don't curse KONG for stealing that land from Jurassic - regardless of how incredible the ride may be.

I believe there is plenty of land in JP to capitalize on both JP and JW. I believe that this will be less ambitious than you guys are going. We'll get the JW arch on the Kong side. Thunder Falls will become a table service called Winston's Chophouse and the outside overlooking JPRA will become a covered deck called Margaritaville something. JPRA will get upgraded. They will find a way to snake the Gyrosphere around the trike plot and Camp Jurassic. And the Discovery Center gets an upgrade.

I think you nailed it with what they could do with the space here.

I also don't buy the Jurassic Park died so that Jurassic World could live nonsense. I thought it was just called Jurassic World because that's the name of the entire resort: the theme park, shopping/dining complex, on-site hotel, etc. It's still essentially Jurassic Park, just re-branded.

Reactions: Ash and SeventyOne
All I have to say is, look at how Disneyland utilizes their space. Look at how Universal in Singapore also packs attractions in.
What's to say Universal can't get creative with Jurassic World attractions in IOA?
I still wish Universal not only kept the Kong attraction, but also went ahead with the Jurassic additions they once had planned.

All I have to say is, look at how Disneyland utilizes their space. Look at how Universal in Singapore also packs attractions in.
What's to say Universal can't get creative with Jurassic World attractions in IOA?
I still wish Universal not only kept the Kong attraction, but also went ahead with the Jurassic additions they once had planned.
I've been to the singapore park. It is super compact. I mean you could walk around the park in 10 mins. I just hope that if they make a new ride they make it interesting and I have a few ideas on what they might do. Whatever they do I know universal can pole it off.

In disney news I think a tent went up at avatar. lol

There is a JP river raft ride in Singapore...wouldn't mind seeing Popeye rethemed to that
I was thinking because the rumor is that since toon lagon is rumored to maybe be Lord of the ring/hobbit it would be themed to the barrell riding in the movie. Thought it could be a cool idea. Or they could tear it down because that ride takes up a huge amount of space.

The Tolkien family will not allow LOTR/The Hobbit in any parks, they have said numerous times it is not something they will say yes to. His son detests all of the movies but had no choice as they did not control the movies rights, theme park rights are another matter and it will simply not happen.

Reactions: RevFreako
I think you nailed it with what they could do with the space here.

I also don't buy the Jurassic Park died so that Jurassic World could live nonsense. I thought it was just called Jurassic World because that's the name of the entire resort: the theme park, shopping/dining complex, on-site hotel, etc. It's still essentially Jurassic Park, just re-branded.
Have you seen the movie? They make it very clear that the old park and the new park are separate. They also make it very clear that the JP branding isn't welcome in JW. I think if this movie had kept those things more vague and perhaps if it didn't perform well they could get away with having JP and JW coexist. Too many people have seen the movie now for Universal to be able to merge JW into JP without some sort of themed explanation.

llyzOyb.jpg

tzEPn59.jpg

nAqNSvE.jpg

Last edited:
Have you seen the movie? They make it very clear that the old park and the new park are separate. They also make it very clear that the JP branding isn't welcome in JW. I think if this movie had kept those things more vague and perhaps if it didn't perform well they could get away with having JP and JW coexist. Too many people have seen the movie now for Universal to be able to merge JW into JP without some sort of themed explanation.

llyzOyb.jpg

tzEPn59.jpg

nAqNSvE.jpg

At some point though, you have to make allowances for real-life practicality. The only way to stay completely true to this new canon would be to demolish the whole of Jurassic Park and start again. That would be excessive and unnecessary. Ultimately, no one thinks they're in Jurassic World. They think they're in IOA, and if there's a cool new Jurassic World ride for them to enjoy alongside the Jurassic Park rides they know and love, they won't be complaining about a metastory 'plot hole'.

At some point though, you have to make allowances for real-life practicality. The only way to stay completely true to this new canon would be to demolish the whole of Jurassic Park and start again. That would be excessive and unnecessary. Ultimately, no one thinks they're in Jurassic World. They think they're in IOA, and if there's a cool new Jurassic World ride for them to enjoy alongside the Jurassic Park rides they know and love, they won't be complaining about a metastory 'plot hole'.
As I said in previous suggestion there are many creative ways to do it and keep it in the theme, as in a preview center for Jurassic World as if it's under construction. To just throw the two together is very cheap and tacky and I really hope at this point in time Universal is above that. It would be equivalent to building Hogwarts Castle in Diagon Alley obviously the owners of that IP wouldn't allow that and I would hope that Universal has learned from those experiences and would still take the same care in theming even when their hand isn't forced.

The Tolkien family will not allow LOTR/The Hobbit in any parks, they have said numerous times it is not something they will say yes to. His son detests all of the movies but had no choice as they did not control the movies rights, theme park rights are another matter and it will simply not happen.
The question of theme park rides is a point of contention and would have to be settled through a costly court battle and so far it's nothing WB/Jackson want to take on with their money. Uni would have to foot the bill with no guarantees. Of course this was all talk before Uni pulled off the Potter stuff as a Proof of Work kinda thing.

I remember hearing that the grandson might be agreeable, and it's kind of a waiting game for the son to die. Grain of salt here of course.

llyzOyb.jpg

tzEPn59.jpg

nAqNSvE.jpg

Yeah, I've actually seen it twice. JW is basically a re-branded JP. It's even on the same island. There's just more to it so it's World vs Park. Kinda like Universal Escape except with less disastrous results.

Status
Not open for further replies.