Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 224 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to be debbi downer here, but given the limited space available in the JP area, and the ride capacity of such a ride, I would expect a Gyrosphere ride to be entirely simulator based. Maybe it could share a big screen with lots riding at same time like BttF/Simpsons, or have individual screens around each sphere. But I don't see the plausibility of doing it justice without screens, and I don't see the footprint of doing it like Kong with a ride path, now that Kong is moving in next door and taking up all the good space.

I like the idea of a Sum of All Thrills type experience in the ball, that way when the Indominus rex picks you up, you actually rise up. But the ride capacity for that attraction isn't nearly good enough to handle the hoards of folks that'll be lining up to ride.

The film's producer and others are adamant that the Gyrosphere would make a great ride at Orlando, so we'll see.

Reactions: ThreePack Shagur
Hate to be debbi downer here, but given the limited space available in the JP area, and the ride capacity of such a ride, I would expect a Gyrosphere ride to be entirely simulator based. Maybe it could share a big screen with lots riding at same time like BttF/Simpsons, or have individual screens around each sphere. But I don't see the plausibility of doing it justice without screens, and I don't see the footprint of doing it like Kong with a ride path, now that Kong is moving in next door and taking up all the good space.

I like the idea of a Sum of All Thrills type experience in the ball, that way when the Indominus rex picks you up, you actually rise up. But the ride capacity for that attraction isn't nearly good enough to handle the hoards of folks that'll be lining up to ride.

The film's producer and others are adamant that the Gyrosphere would make a great ride at Orlando, so we'll see.

I think there would still be a way to do a Gryrosphere ride "for real," so-to-speak, but it would require very clever usage of the space available (perhaps even cannibalizing some of Camp Jurassic), and also redesigning/re-thinking the ride system as seen in the movie. There is no way it would be trackless, and there is no way the spheres would remain two-people-per-vehicle. A slow-moving omnimover-type setup with spheres capable of holding 4-6 passengers traveling past real rock work, modest water features, and 4 or 5 "show scenes" of animatronic dinosaurs (preferably some that aren't already found on the River Adventure) could be pulled off... if Universal Creative wants to do it.

It could be a fine all-ages C+/D ticket experience as long as people were prepared for the fact that it wouldn't be quite as grand as depicted in the film.

I'm guessing Universal has enough to deal with with the existing animatronics at River Adventure, and I bet you, whatever we get, will have little to no physical dinosaurs. They are just too sick of fixing skins.

And anyone riding a Gyrosphere ride, (general public) would probably be expecting something exciting to happen. As much as it pains me to say it, a screen based attraction would be the best fit. It could really sell the craziness of an Indominus rex attack and the grand scope of a valley full of running herbivorous dinosaurs like in the film.

I'm guessing Universal has enough to deal with with the existing animatronics at River Adventure, and I bet you, whatever we get, will have little to no physical dinosaurs. They are just too sick of fixing skins.

And anyone riding a Gyrosphere ride, (general public) would probably be expecting something exciting to happen. As much as it pains me to say it, a screen based attraction would be the best fit. It could really sell the craziness of an Indominus rex attack and the grand scope of a valley full of running herbivorous dinosaurs like in the film.

If we got that in conjunction with the River Adventure receiving some upgrades (and a couple of new dinosaurs), I think it would be a mostly fair trade-off.

Reactions: Cheezbat

If, big if, anything like this happened, I assume they would go with indoor show scenes, negating the need for the skins.

I think the way to make it match the feel of the movie the most would be a combo omnimover/screen based ride, but not the normal screen idea. Make the shell of the gyro ball the screen. Put the ball on a motion base that sits on an omnimover track. That way they can keep the individual cars 2-4 people, but give it the feel you are out on your own. You could even give riders some limited joystick control. I'd say you could make it an open ended world you could drive around in, but I'm not sure how they could ever do a story of the ride. Unless maybe the first minute or so they let you drive freely around the plains then have a "ride shutdown", and at that point the joystick is taken over by the computer and routes you to the story arc of the ride. Now I have no idea if the tech to make the ball be the screen and be realistic even exists or is even financially feasible, but if so, it could be the best way to do it. Granted that means no physical sets at all, but it would match the feel of the idea the best.

TPI is having their annual best new attraction of the year award(July 2014-July 2015). One of the comments from a Florida gal was that her favorite new attraction was the Raptor Encounter. She said she loved Gringotts & HE, but the Raptor lifelike fluid movements & Raptor show actually impressed her the most, and that's her favorite new attraction. This from a TPI contributor that always has credible & knowledgeable comments. I would think that's a real compliment for the Raptor Encounter, to even be spoken in the same breath as those two excellent attractions. Pretty decent guest satisfaction at minimal cost.

Reactions: Alicia
TPI is having their annual best new attraction of the year award(July 2014-July 2015). One of the comments from a Florida gal was that her favorite new attraction was the Raptor Encounter. She said she loved Gringotts & HE, but the Raptor lifelike fluid movements & Raptor show actually impressed her the most, and that's her favorite new attraction. This from a TPI contributor that always has credible & knowledgeable comments. I would think that's a real compliment for the Raptor Encounter, to even be spoken in the same breath as those two excellent attractions. Pretty decent guest satisfaction at minimal cost.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess..

Considering the intimate experience of meeting a raptor, I could see her saying that

I consider Gringotts/HE to push the envelope a little more than the Raptor Encounter though

Screen-based with a joystick controlling real-time movement is a great idea. Each car could have it's own computer system for real-time rendering. I work in the simulation industry and something like that is definitely doable with modern tech. Put that system on a Kuka arm or Motion base to allow for spinning and it would be unlike anything else out there.
Something like Sum of All Thrills combined with a flight simulator. Allow the riders to explore the herbivore herds peacefully, but have the ride system be versatile enough to allow for an attack sequence. Each system takes up a small amount of space - put 30 of those in the Trike plot and stage 3-4 minutes for the ride.

People would love that. With the freedom to explore for only the first minute or two it even encourages re-rides.

Reactions: s8film40
Status
Not open for further replies.