Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 234 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The name was probably a cross promotion thing, sure.

But the ride and film have nothing to do with one another.

I mean yeah, we won't see Tom Hiddleston or any of the actors involved. It's a stand-alone entity, but its development was clearly jumpstarted by the genesis of the Skull Island film concept.

I'd say the genesis of the ride goes all the way back to Kong 360.

This. The movie wasn't even going to be out until a year after this opened. Universal is doing this to bring back their original icon of the resort and give fan service to the long time fans who have complained about closed classic attractions. I'm excited about this and glad they went for this over more Jurassic Park. I'd rather they flesh out the island itself before adding more big attractions to it. Kong being back at Universal Orlando is just too awesome for me to handle.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I'd say the genesis of the ride goes all the way back to Kong 360.

That's fair. I'd argue it went something like this:

Kong 360 opens, is huge success. Orlando considers developing something for their resort.
Kong ride here is in concept/development stage for some time, but doesn't have the full-speed ahead greenlight.
Universal Pictures confirms they're working on a Skull Island film. Comcast sees synergy.
Ride is pushed ahead, given full green-light, and here we are.

This is all guesswork, granted. I don't have inside info here.

This talk reminds me of Indy in Tokyo. It's Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull.....yet it has nothing to do with the eventual movie (thank god) because it was built years before.

I mean the ride takes place in Skull Island....
So where's NEW YORK: The Adventure of Spider-Man? Or GREEN PLANET: The ET Ride? Fallow hit the nail on the head I think as far as Comcast's line of thinking. A ride doesn't have to be explicitly based on a film to promote it. The name of a ride based on King Kong should have emphasis on KONG, like the past iterations have...not the arbitrary name of the fictional island half the movie takes place on. Not saying the name is bad, but the way it's constructed, you can't honestly say there wasn't any inspiration taken from the upcoming movie.

So where's NEW YORK: The Adventure of Spider-Man? Or GREEN PLANET: The ET Ride? Fallow hit the nail on the head I think as far as Comcast's line of thinking. A ride doesn't have to be explicitly based on a film to promote it. The name of a ride based on King Kong should have emphasis on KONG, like the past iterations have...not the arbitrary name of the fictional island half the movie takes place on. Not saying the name is bad, but the way it's constructed, you can't honestly say there wasn't any inspiration taken from the upcoming movie.
I think the title might be because it's in IoA, and "Skull Island" is the name of that "island". And since it's pretty much a tiny sub-area with nothing besides the single ride, they just mashed together the area's title and the ride's title for "Skull Island: Reign of Kong". That's 100% guesswork, though.

The attraction is not based on or has any region to the film. Period.

Again... one can't deny the fast tracking of the attraction at the same time when the movie was gaining steam in development, along with its final title they chose. One also can't deny that Comcast loves synergy.

No actors or plot-specific locations are going to appear in this ride, but they aren't unrelated. They benefitted each other.

Again... one can't deny the fast tracking of the attraction at the same time when the movie was gaining steam in development, along with its final title they chose. One also can't deny that Comcast loves synergy.

No actors or plot-specific locations are going to appear in this ride, but they aren't unrelated. They benefitted each other.
This attraction was never fast tracked. As a matter of fact development slowed down and changed greatly after the success of Kong 360.

This project went into development 4 years before the film was pitched. And Skull Island has been the location since the genesis of Kong 360.

It has nothing to do with the film. Which still might not get made.

This attraction was never fast tracked. As a matter of fact development slowed down and changed greatly after the success of Kong 360.

This project went into development 4 years before the film was pitched. And Skull Island has been the location since the genesis of Kong 360.

So originally this probably was a 2015 attraction?

Right. Thanks for explaining it better than I could!

Reactions: anihilnation

I appreciate your insight and the way it was said. I stand corrected. There was possibly an effort to tie into the film with the final title, but it appears that's about it.

Aaaaaanyway... So does the fact that no one is talking about anything relating to a possible Jurassic Park expansion, as well as the fact that other projects are already announced for 2017, indicate that we won't be getting anything Jurassic Park/World-related until at least 2018?

Aaaaaanyway... So does the fact that no one is talking about anything relating to a possible Jurassic Park expansion, as well as the fact that other projects are already announced for 2017, indicate that we won't be getting anything Jurassic Park/World-related until at least 2018?

I'm thinking Beijing will be exclusive of a new JW attraction, but we'll see.

I believe Universal feels they have filled JP's needs with Kong, even though it is not the same franchise. There is virtually no room left, unless they tunnel underground for a dark ride and I doubt that will happen. There is no reason to tear anything down.

I believe Universal feels they have filled JP's needs with Kong, even though it is not the same franchise. There is virtually no room left, unless they tunnel underground for a dark ride and I doubt that will happen. There is no reason to tear anything down.

Bewilders me that they just leave the trike encounter sitting there unused

Reactions: ChrisFL
Status
Not open for further replies.