Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I feel like Cars is likeliest for an IP swap at this point. Paired with the Cars show, they’ve got themselves a new miniland if they go down that route.

If it’s fessible, I’d rather they demo Animation Courtyard, open up that area back to RNRC, and move the entrance to the ride to that side. They could finally make a loop from Sunset Blvd. to Animation Courtyard, make RNRC in theme with whatever new land goes in that space, and Sunset Blvd. can actually be old Hollywood themed like it was supposed to be.

If it’s fessible, I’d rather they demo Animation Courtyard, open up that area back to RNRC, and move the entrance to the ride to that side. They could finally make a loop from Sunset Blvd. to Animation Courtyard, make RNRC in theme with whatever new land goes in that space, and Sunset Blvd. can actually be old Hollywood themed like it was supposed to be.
I think most people want this and I think with the limited space DHS has to work with otherwise, Disney is going to have to take a serious look at that area in the not to distant future.

I think most people want this and I think with the limited space DHS has to work with otherwise, Disney is going to have to take a serious look at that area in the not to distant future.
What kills me is that this is such an obvious move...it’s the only thing that makes sense from an expansion/guest flow point of view...and all of the fan community clearly sees it, yet Disney has yet to lift a finger to make it happen.

Reactions: Andysol
What kills me is that this is such an obvious move...it’s the only thing that makes sense from an expansion/guest flow point of view...and all of the fan community clearly sees it, yet Disney has yet to lift a finger to make it happen.

My guess is one of the bigger issues (other than time and money) is that it completely cuts off backstage access to those QS restaurants on Hollywood Blvd. It’s not the end of the world, but definitely would be a pain.

My guess is one of the bigger issues (other than time and money) is that it completely cuts off backstage access to those QS restaurants on Hollywood Blvd. It’s not the end of the world, but definitely would be a pain.
They did the same thing with Cars Land at DCA. The Pacific Warf area had a restaurant that got cut-off from the backstage path, and the back of house area of it is connected to Flo’s V8 Cafe, which is also surrounded by park. It’s possible. Truthfully, you’re not missing anything at the front of the park if you connect Sunset and Animation Courtyard (plus it would help with Fantasmic dumps on busy nights).

Reactions: ChristopherSE
Peek Behind the Scenes of Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy with the ‘Disney Parks Presents a 25 Days of Christmas Holiday Party’ Special | Disney Parks Blog

The “Disney Parks Presents a 25 Days of Christmas Holiday Party” debuts today on the DisneyNOW app and December 1 at 8 p.m. EST on Disney Channel. This festive, half-hour special features appearances and performances from favorite Disney Channel stars, including hosts Ruby Rose Turner, Dakota Lotus (Disney Channel’s Coop & Cami Ask the World”), Kylee Russell, Meg Donnelly (Disney Channel Original Movie “ZOMBIES”) Sadie Stanley (Disney Channel Original Movie “Kim Possible”) and Sean Giambrone (Disney Channel Original Movie “Kim Possible,” ABC’s “The Goldbergs”). During the special, Stanley and Giambrone take viewers behind the scenes of Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy, at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, where you will be able to step right into the world of Disney•Pixar’s “Cars.” This all-new, high-octane show opens in the park’s Sunset Showcase in spring 2019 as part of the overall transformation of Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

uieiyr876594782.png

Taking on the role of rookie racer, you’ll cruise into the theater and find yourself face-to-face with Lightning McQueen, appearing live on stage. McQueen and the entire audience are enveloped by a giant, wraparound screen that is nearly two stories tall and stretches more than 200 feet from end to end, pulling everyone into the action! The racing legend is excited to showcase what he’s learned over the years. Of course, as Lightning McQueen has discovered throughout his career, things don’t always go according to plan, and he has to think fast to get back on course. Friends like Tow Mater, Cruz Ramirez and Lightning’s pals from Radiator Springs chime in with their support, as Lightning gears up for the challenge.

Disney Parks Live Entertainment is working closely with the creative team at Pixar Animation Studios to bring this new “Cars” story to life. Stay tuned to Disney Parks Blog in the coming months, as we share more about Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy on the road to its spring 2019 grand opening, and be sure to catch the behind-the-scenes look at the attraction in the “Disney Parks Presents a 25 Days of Christmas Holiday Party” starting today on the DisneyNOW app and airing December 1 at 8 p.m. EST on Disney Channel.

I watched the holiday special with the supposed behind-the-scenes look and it showed absolutely nothing. Just some animators fussing with a Lightning McQueen on computer screen. But I figured he would be an animatronic so not even sure if that was even footage of them working on this? Unless they working out the animated expressions only.

I watched the holiday special with the supposed behind-the-scenes look and it showed absolutely nothing. Just some animators fussing with a Lightning McQueen on computer screen. But I figured he would be an animatronic so not even sure if that was even footage of them working on this? Unless they working out the animated expressions only.
I actually don't think he will be an AA, but I could be wrong. The flex theater this is going into is purpose built for multi-media presentations.

Reactions: Alicia
I mean what else would it be?
A previously rendered cartoon presentation that is not at all improvised and never changes. It could be that.

I imagine we'll at very least see a full-scale build of the simulation training system seen in the last Cars film.

And if you take the PR speak literally, they do say Lightning will be on stage LIVE, but then they also go on to talk about the 200-foot long screen, so who knows. I bet he's show us some of his moves in the simulator though. (Wonder if that means we'll be seeing his but the whole time?)

Excerpt from here, emphasis mine:

Taking on the role of rookie racer, you’ll cruise into the theater and find yourself face-to-face with Lightning McQueen, appearing live on stage. McQueen and the entire audience are enveloped by a giant, wraparound screen that is nearly two stories tall and stretches more than 200 feet from end to end, pulling everyone into the action! The racing legend is excited to showcase what he’s learned over the years. Of course, as Lightning McQueen has discovered throughout his career, things don’t always go according to plan, and he has to think fast to get back on course.
Image of the simulator from Cars 3:

cars3.jpg

Reactions: Nick