Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS) | Page 53 | Inside Universal Forums

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Of course not, they are all CMs, and paid “Social Media influencers” at this point.

This should be news to no one. The character models are a horrible choice.

true, but I honestly wasn’t expecting a bad ride regardless. It was pushed back and it’s their biggest IP’s ride so they couldn’t afford to mess this one up. As for the character design, yes it isn’t all that appealing, but, it’s still Mickey and Minnie so I don’t think it will take away from the experience and will still be a great ride!

true, but I honestly wasn’t expecting a bad ride regardless. It was pushed back and it’s their biggest IP’s ride so they couldn’t afford to mess this one up. As for the character design, yes it isn’t all that appealing, but, it’s still Mickey and Minnie so I don’t think it will take away from the experience and will still be a great ride!

IMHO, it’s not their biggest IP. Classic Mickey is their biggest IP. The new Mickey shorts are a flash in the pan IP.

They didn’t make a Toy Story MM using the animated character designs for a reason. I think the ride will forever get reviews about the bad look of the characters. I wouldn’t be surprised if they haven’t done some prep work changing it to Classic Mickey, in case the backlash is bigger than expected.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
The "first impression" posted on Magic makes it sound kind of underwhelming, frankly, though it's clear the reviewer was being deliberately restrained in describing the thing.

I was disappointed to hear that Goofy... isn't presented in the form I was hoping he'd be presented in.

Also, ride time under 5 minutes. I know there had been some talk of this being a "longer" ride by modern theme park standards, but nope.

The "first impression" posted on Magic makes it sound kind of underwhelming, frankly, though it's clear the reviewer was being deliberately restrained in describing the thing.

I was disappointed to hear that Goofy... isn't presented in the form I was hoping he'd be presented in.

Also, ride time under 5 minutes. I know there had been some talk of this being a "longer" ride by modern theme park standards, but nope.

Every ride that opens has the DizNoids saying it’s going to be super long, and really break the mold. Every time they are completely wrong, to the surprise of no one who isn’t super biased.

Every ride that opens has the DizNoids saying it’s going to be super long, and really break the mold. Every time they are completely wrong, to the surprise of no one who isn’t super biased.

I'm not talking about "DizNoids," though, but people with credible insider info, like Martin.

But it is what it is.

IMHO, it’s not their biggest IP. Classic Mickey is their biggest IP. The new Mickey shorts are a flash in the pan IP.

They didn’t make a Toy Story MM using the animated character designs for a reason. I think the ride will forever get reviews about the bad look of the characters. I wouldn’t be surprised if they haven’t done some prep work changing it to Classic Mickey, in case the backlash is bigger than expected.

don’t you think that sounds a little far fetched? I don’t think the average person is going to care about Mickey’s appearance that much to where they change it. At the end of the day, it is still Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, so people are going to go and visit the attraction because it’s Mickey Mouse.

Magic's early review times the actual ride at 4 minutes 30 seconds.....Preshow is apx. 1 minute 30 seconds (Splits into two different rooms showing the same pre show....same area as the pre show film for GMR. .) Animatronics at beginning have projected faces

I'm indifferent on the style, but if I'm not mistaken the construct of the ride is that you're *in* a Mickey short. If you use the "classic" Mickey, you're just riding around the countryside with an anthropomorphic mouse.

This ride is always going to have a polarizing presence, as it replaced a beloved classic. It will be hard to really get a sense of what people really think without that colouring it.

Guys it’s a lot of fun

Yes, the first two AAs look bonkers lol but the third looks much better imo

I think the ride length is good. Of course, rides could always be longer, but it didn’t feel too short to me. It was exactly as long as it felt it should.

The ride is very polished and the sheer amount of projections is truly insane. I couldn’t find a surface that wasnt projected on (except the floor, which actually felt like a missed opportunity but I understand why they didn’t, I guess). They were able to achieve some great moments of depths with their techniques, but I was never fooled into thinking it was more than projected flat surfaces (which wasn’t their goal, btw. So that’s not a negative imo)

I wish they had pushed the tech a bit more. It wasn’t necessarily the uncanny animation preview they showed at D23 BUT they do change the environment with projections more than once, so they did technically deliver. Also, the trackless vehicles felt a bit under utilized. I would’ve loved more “dancing” and exploring the spaces. And there was one part where a real motion base was clearly lacking.

those critiques aside, the ride is solid, it’ll be VERY popular, and it’s exactly what DHS needs: a tech-forward dark ride designed for families with young children and based on a classic IP. I was very impressed with some things, and a little underwhelmed by others, but it’s a lot of fun and I’m very happy we have it.

Last edited:
Guys it’s a lot of fun

I think the ride length is good. Of course, rides could always be longer, but it didn’t feel too short to me. It was exactly as long as it felt it should.

The ride is very polished and the sheer amount of projections is truly insane. I couldn’t find a surface that was projected on (except the floor, which actually felt like a missed opportunity but I understand why they didn’t, I guess). They were able to achieve some great moments of depths with their techniques, but I was never fooled into thinking it was more than projected flat surfaces (which wasn’t their goal, btw. So that’s not a negative imo)

I wish they had pushed the tech a bit more. It wasn’t necessarily the uncanny animation preview they showed at D23 BUT they do change the environment with projections more than once, so they did technically deliver. Also, the trackless vehicles felt a bit under utilized. I would’ve loved more “dancing” and exploring the spaces. And there was one part where a real motion base was clearly lacking.

those critiques aside, the ride is solid, it’ll be VERY popular, and it’s exactly what DHS needs: a tech-forward dark ride designed for families with young children and based on a classic IP. I was very impressed with some things, and a little underwhelmed by others, but it’s a lot of fun and I’m very happy we have it.

Amazing!! Are you allowed to give the spoiler filled version now?

Reactions: QuackQuackQuack
Guys it’s a lot of fun

The ride is very polished and the sheer amount of projections is truly insane. I couldn’t find a surface that wasnt projected on (except the floor, which actually felt like a missed opportunity but I understand why they didn’t, I guess). They were able to achieve some great moments of depths with their techniques, but I was never fooled into thinking it was more than projected flat surfaces (which wasn’t their goal, btw. So that’s not a negative imo)

This certainly makes me feel better about it than the discussion over on Magic did!

Would you say it's different enough -- in "feel" or however you'd want to classify it -- from Rise of the Resistance to justify it being in the same park? In execution, they seem like they're radically different experiences, but some seem to think they kind of "cannibalize" each other. Your take?

Every summary of the ride story i’ve read reminds me of this short, with how you seem to travel to majorly different locations so simply and often

Plus, that “nothing can stop us now” song probably being so ironic in the ride parallels this song having double meanings

This certainly makes me feel better about it than the discussion over on Magic did!

Would you say it's different enough -- in "feel" or however you'd want to classify it -- from Rise of the Resistance to justify it being in the same park? In execution, they seem like they're radically different experiences, but some seem to think they kind of "cannibalize" each other. Your take?

CMs have still not been able to ride RotR (unless they visit the park with a day ticket or a certain comp ticket without block outs, which I don’t have) so I can’t answer that unfortunately lol. But I’ll ask around!

Reactions: belloq87
Every summary of the ride story i’ve read reminds me of this short, with how you seem to travel to majorly different locations so simply and often

Plus, that “nothing can stop us now” song probably being so ironic in the ride parallels this song having double meanings

I never realized how much they were ripping off of Flapjack and Adventure Time