Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Middle Earth coming to UOR?

I'm sure this has been discussed, but if a LotR land were to happen, what kind of rides would they have?

I'm picturing a PotC-style boat ride and maybe a mine train through the Orc mine.

I mean, let's be real here. The success of the Amazon show would likely have 0% bearing on how the rights for a park get used.

The iconic movies of the 2000's and the literary material is strong enough to carry anything they do with the land. The only thing the Amazon show is going to do, especially since it's not even set in the same time period as the movies, is draw attention to anything to do with the source material.

Slam Dunk. Period. There is no "waiting" to see what Amazon does. It does not matter. Even if the show gets completely panned and is universally hated, The response to a land based off the movies would be "remember when LOTR was good? 'member? We also have nothing to do with that T.V show, now hand over all of your money cause we're the good guys"

Also, this new leak crackdown would indicate there's a lot to protect moving forward, especially with this era of "Theme park wars" continuing to wage on. What raised the stakes? WB being pissed about Hagrid's... Yeah, that's one thing... But we've had plenty of other things leaked in their entirety for years in similar fashion. FJ wasn't exactly the biggest secret in the world we had layouts and a pretty good idea of exactly what the entirety of that experience would be before it was even built and open to the public. I wonder what else is out there that escapes the realm of public knowledge that raised the stakes so high behind the scenes.

This rumor being true would explain a few things.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but if a LotR land were to happen, what kind of rides would they have?

I'm picturing a PotC-style boat ride and maybe a mine train through the Orc mine.
This all sounds perfect, I beleive the TPU article mentioned a raft ride. Who knows though probably way too early for that.

You guys seemingly aren't understanding @ChrisFL's point. It wasn't to build a land around the Amazon series or anything to do with that series except to see how popular the LOTR brand is right now. It's not like the land is being built imminently anyway (if it even happens)...

I only suggested that anything is possible given the desire AND funding. That's all. Sheesh...
Obviously. I believe @Legacy even said that multiple times. With the right amount of money you can do almost anything.

It would be irresponsible to spend the money in this manner as the facilities back there need to be back there whether you want to expand or not. So you have to find a way to keep them but where are you going to put them when they are already squeezed for land as it is? Money will get you 90% there, but you also need the proper resources and in this case, land is a big issue. Just because they own all that land where EU is going makes no difference as almost none of this stuff can move over there - these are local buildings for IOA and USF. There will be similar backstage buildings built for EU when it is constructed.

You guys seemingly aren't understanding @ChrisFL's point. It wasn't to build a land around the Amazon series or anything to do with that series except to see how popular the LOTR brand is right now. It's not like the land is being built imminently anyway (if it even happens)...

Obviously. I believe @Legacy even said that multiple times. With the right amount of money you can do almost anything.

It would be irresponsible to spend the money in this manner as the facilities back there need to be back there whether you want to expand or not. So you have to find a way to keep them but where are you going to put them when they are already squeezed for land as it is? Money will get you 90% there, but you also need the proper resources and in this case, land is a big issue. Just because they own all that land where EU is going makes no difference as almost none of this stuff can move over there - these are local buildings for IOA and USF. There will be similar backstage buildings built for EU when it is constructed.
Didn't you hear? Universal bought Dr. Phillips High School and will be moving all that stuff over there. At least that is what I read on the internet. /s

Seems to be the general consensus. Forget about it.

I hate to be that guy, and you're normally fine with this, but please clarify your posts. Seriously. You aren't quoting anyone, and I can't tell what you're talking about half the time.

Use emojis or /s for jokes as well. That way people don't take it seriously (I remember this was a problem recently)

I suppose it's good to gauge interest...LOTR isn't immune from falling out of the public's mind

Didn't you hear? Universal bought Dr. Phillips High School and will be moving all that stuff over there. At least that is what I read on the internet. /s
Well, they did use the grounds for the show being produced by Oprah (and apparently used some students as extras). LOL

Well, they did use the grounds for the show being produced by Oprah (and apparently used some students as extras). LOL
That wasn’t Universal using that, it was the production that chose to build their set over there and to work with Doctor Phillips. David Makes Man only used SS21 and the production building (22-A) at Universal.

That wasn’t Universal using that, it was the production that chose to build their set over there and to work with Doctor Phillips. David Makes Man only used SS21 and the production building (22-A) at Universal.
Yeah, I know it wasn't a Universal production. I was just pointing out the irony of the joke.

middleearth16e.png

I posted this concept over on a few other threads but I thought it could fit here too :)

Above is some artwork of a Middle Earth Land that I drew. It's designed so that it would fit into Epic Universe's expansion plot between HTTYD and Fantastic Beasts, but I could totally envision it going to one of the existing parks at UOR.

I chose the Shire [Hobbiton] and Rivendell because a) they're visited in both the Lord of the Rings/the Hobbit trilogies and b) I think they could both be realistically translated into a functioning theme park land (Mordor definitely wouldn't work kinda thing).

Hobbiton would feature a barrel-themed advanced boat ride (similar to Shanghai's PotC ride tech).
Rivendell would have an attraction that is sort of a hybrid between Peter Pan and Soarin'- the suspended ride would fly above and around models of other Middle Earth locations.
Both areas of the land would feature dining, shops and entertainment.

I really hope Universal has somehow sorted out an agreement for the Middle Earth IP rights with the Tolkien Estate/WB as I think we all know Universal Creative would work their magic and give fans and general guests an amazing experience!

View attachment 11428

I posted this concept over on a few other threads but I thought it could fit here too :)

Above is some artwork of a Middle Earth Land that I drew. It's designed so that it would fit into Epic Universe's expansion plot between HTTYD and Fantastic Beasts, but I could totally envision it going to one of the existing parks at UOR.

I chose the Shire [Hobbiton] and Rivendell because a) they're visited in both the Lord of the Rings/the Hobbit trilogies and b) I think they could both be realistically translated into a functioning theme park land (Mordor definitely wouldn't work kinda thing).

Hobbiton would feature a barrel-themed advanced boat ride (similar to Shanghai's PotC ride tech).
Rivendell would have an attraction that is sort of a hybrid between Peter Pan and Soarin'- the suspended ride would fly above and around models of other Middle Earth locations.
Both areas of the land would feature dining, shops and entertainment.

I really hope Universal has somehow sorted out an agreement for the Middle Earth IP rights with the Tolkien Estate/WB as I think we all know Universal Creative would work their magic and give fans and general guests an amazing experience!
It looks great but in a more compressed form I think you could fit more locations in there. I for one would add Isengard for a kuka arm drop, enclosed drop tower ride to simulate the fight between Gandalf and Saruman. It's footprint isn't big so it could fit easily.

I think the best course of action here (if this rumor is real, of course) would be to pull a Nintendo/Potter with the property. Split it up between Epic Universe and Islands of Adventure, one being Mordor or Hobbiton/Shire and the other being Revendell.