New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando? | Page 85 | Inside Universal Forums

New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Express would be wonderful for a waterpark. Honestly I never feel like I've ever gotten my time spent wisely when waiting for slides even at 20 minutes. This would be very great for people like me

The point is that there is too much in the area to take up a guest's time to assume that all of those staying on property will, on their own, fill a whole waterpark. It's sole purpose is NOT to get guests to stay onsite...while it is a big factor it's not all that's in play. If you honestly believe that this waterpark will become the world's most expensive hotel amenity then...well I'm not sure what to tell you.

Bottom line, they would not be building this park if they did not have the existing and planned hotels. Of course they want locals to come, but that is very low on the reasoning for this. Their goal is make people staying onsite book and extra 1-2 days. Disney has shown how profitable this blue print is and Uni is betting they can do the same. I hope they can, but as I stated, it seems as though they are building too many rooms.

Bottom line, they would not be building this park if they did not have the existing and planned hotels. Of course they want locals to come, but that is very low on the reasoning for this. Their goal is make people staying onsite book and extra 1-2 days. Disney has shown how profitable this blue print is and Uni is betting they can do the same. I hope they can, but as I stated, it seems as though they are building too many rooms.

It seems kind of apparent you don't know what you're talking about. While turning the resort into a multi-day destination is the name of the game, there's also heavy emphasis on marketing towards those who are not able to stay in the hotels, and the water park will be able to accommodate them. Hell, Cabana Bay itself was partly meant as a place for drunk locals/day-trippers to be able to stay for ONE night during the fall. You have to think outside the box...realize that Universal's market is NOT the same as Disney's and relies heavily on local business just as much as it does from out-of-towners. As someone who has had the opportunity to look into some of the goals of 2015's marketing plan over the summer, I can assure you that Universal's attitude is NOT "if you don't like it, we don't care". That's really the only point I'm making. Now, if you would like to point out where I said anything contradicting your point, I would love to see it....

Last edited:
Wow, thought Is logged onto the magical site what with all the bitchin', come on guys were better than that.

I do not see it being a problem not having parking directly at the waterpark, I am pretty sure we will see shuttles from hotels and from the hub. If you look at the bus stop sign at CBBR you will notice it say bus 1 Parks (or something along those lines) but underneath that they have 2 blank spaces, wanna bet that one of those blanks will become bus 2 Wondersea? as for the other blank? well I guess time will tell.

No need to doubt Teebins info, I think he is bang on the money. Uni are renowned for making good of little space and I do not see this as being any different.

It seems kind of apparent you don't know what you're talking about. While turning the resort into a multi-day destination is the name of the game, there's also heavy emphasis on marketing towards those who are not able to stay in the hotels, and the water park will be able to accommodate them. Hell, Cabana Bay itself was partly meant as a place for drunk locals/day-trippers to be able to stay for ONE night during the fall. You have to think outside the box...realize that Universal's market is NOT the same as Disney's and relies heavily on local business just as much as it does from out-of-towners. As someone who has had the opportunity to look into some of the goals of 2015's marketing plan over the summer, I can assure you that Universal's attitude is NOT "if you don't like it, we don't care". That's really the only point I'm making. Now, if you would like to point out where I said anything contradicting your point, I would love to see it....

So when all is said and done, Uni is going to have over 5,000 rooms available. I never said that they don't care about the local business, but those rooms need keep at the 80% or better rate JS mentioned. They are not going to have a new HP land every year or so to keep the rooms turning over. I think Kong is going to be great, but I don't see it pull in the at same rate as HP did. So this park is a huge hit for them to keep people in those rooms for 1-2 more days. Again, no doubt that the local business is a factor, but it is being built because of the new overall hotel expansion. You say you have looked at their marketing plans, if I am off, I would love to see it.

A study showed Universal could fill 10.000 to 15.000 hotel rooms.
Universal is adding rides, restaurants and show. Jaws left to make way for 2 major rides, popular shops, restaurants and shows. The same as the original Potter did, it added 1 E-ticket ride on new land and many popular shops and restaurants. Just like Simpsons added a kiddy ride and added more richly themed rides. Even Transformers filled in a long forgotten empty lot with a huge ride.
Now Kong is being build on again new land that was unused and will be a huge ride. They added a parade and evening show.
They refreshed Hanna and Barbarra with Despicable Me, a ride still has a significant line.
On Citywalk they added minigolf (unused land) and new restaurants and updated tired old ones. They added bars and locations on the water side, again land formerly not used at all.
Btw I'm from The Netherlands and will buy a annual Universal Studios Resort pass because I stay for 2 months and will be back before the end of next year to use that card again, not going to Disney because there is nothing added that interests me or my family.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-09-11/business/os-universal-to-add-thousands-of-hotel-rooms-20130911_1_universal-orlando-hotel-rooms-walt-disney-world

It's a good plan. More rooms will translate into a larger attendance at the theme parks. That will translate into more attractions etc. , that will again translate into more hotels. Do not underestimate the allure to tourists of everything being within walking or a short water taxi/bus trip. On a Universal vacation you can park your car and not use it during the entire vacation. There's a lot to be said for the relaxation & convenience angle. Then there's the fast building of over the top themed new attractions. When on a roll, keep the pedal down....Universal's previous weakness was that they didn't have enough on site hotel rooms. That alone kept attendance lower than it could have been. Plus hotels are a great profit generator, as Disney well knows.

Last edited:
They should run these from the hub area to the waterpark :thumbs:

Yes, that goes through a 360-degree IMAX screen that makes you feel like the shuttle is riding a wave.

No, but seriously, Universal seems to be covering all their bases with the hotels. Sapphire is targeting more conventioners at a price point that's between Cabana and RPR. Yet another good market.

Heres the main question...

For all the complaining we have done throughout the years, have we been disappointed yet? No. In Uni we trust.

I do not see it being a problem not having parking directly at the waterpark, I am pretty sure we will see shuttles from hotels and from the hub. If you look at the bus stop sign at CBBR you will notice it say bus 1 Parks (or something along those lines) but underneath that they have 2 blank spaces, wanna bet that one of those blanks will become bus 2 Wondersea? as for the other blank? well I guess time will tell.

The problem is with the afternoon thunderstorms. They hit, your entire park empties out en masse. Not sure trams or buses will be able to handle a sudden influx like that.

(Plus a general sense I don't think anyone wants to be wet and dripping on an air conditioned bus.)

The problem is with the afternoon thunderstorms. They hit, your entire park empties out en masse. Not sure trams or buses will be able to handle a sudden influx like that.

(Plus a general sense I don't think anyone wants to be wet and dripping on an air conditioned bus.)

What are the options for those at a Disney or Seaworld waterpark that are any different from what you have described in your scenario?

Shouldn't be a problem if half the park is inside a giant volcano!!!

Shouldn't be a problem if half the park is inside a giant volcano!!!
If there's lightning in the area, all/most attractions will need to close. That's just how water parks work.

A guy died at Adventure Island a few years ago for the slides running within a certain lightning radius (it wasn't that close in all actuality) and ever since Sea World has been very cautious when it comes to Lightning. Universal may be a bit different, but water attractions need to close when lightning is in the area at water parks for safety reasons.

A study showed Universal could fill 10.000 to 15.000 hotel rooms.
Universal is adding rides, restaurants and show. Jaws left to make way for 2 major rides, popular shops, restaurants and shows. The same as the original Potter did, it added 1 E-ticket ride on new land and many popular shops and restaurants. Just like Simpsons added a kiddy ride and added more richly themed rides. Even Transformers filled in a long forgotten empty lot with a huge ride.
Now Kong is being build on again new land that was unused and will be a huge ride. They added a parade and evening show.
They refreshed Hanna and Barbarra with Despicable Me, a ride still has a significant line.
On Citywalk they added minigolf (unused land) and new restaurants and updated tired old ones. They added bars and locations on the water side, again land formerly not used at all.
Btw I'm from The Netherlands and will buy a annual Universal Studios Resort pass because I stay for 2 months and will be back before the end of next year to use that card again, not going to Disney because there is nothing added that interests me or my family.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-09-11/business/os-universal-to-add-thousands-of-hotel-rooms-20130911_1_universal-orlando-hotel-rooms-walt-disney-world

Cool, someone from the Netherlands with an annual pass. I also have a Universal Annual Pass and am also from the Netherlands. Wonder how many Dutch people have Universal Orlando annual passes ;). I also have an annual pass for WDW by the way, but do spend more and more days at Universal since I love the Harry Potter rides. Look forward to Universal's water park. I just hope the capacity for the slides/rides will be good, because I hate long lines in water parks.

It's a good point and one I'm sure Uni has thought of, plenty of undercover areas would be a good start. I agree that sitting in air con when soaking wet is no fun, easily solved by turning the dial from blue to red :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.