Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

Crystal Ball Gazing

While I can’t share details on things yet to be announced, you can expect to hear an announcement or two from us this year on things like:

• The previously-announced ride replacing Dragon Challenge in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
  • An additional projection mapping experience at Hogwarts castle
  • Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular being replaced
  • Something new going in where Terminator 2: 3D was
  • A new venue coming to Universal CityWalk where Element was
  • Our expanding hotel collection
  • The continued global expansion of our partnership with Nintendo. Our sister park in Japan has already broken ground on Super Nintendo World; I’m sure you can’t wait to hear what’s next.
(from: Universal Orlando Close Up | More in Store for 2018 at Universal Orlando Resort - Close Up

Without any concrete info it may as well be. I remember when this was first announced and all expectations were around this year or next year. Then it just kept getting pushed, and pushed, and pushed. We all laughed at Disney for being slow but now when the shoe’s on the other foot excuses all around. Moved to a new park some here agree to be expected around 2023: 8 years after the initial announcement. Two years longer than Avatar and everyone had no problem laughing and hating on that one.

If Universal was Disney Nintendo would be opening next year with Star Wars Land as both were announced in 2015 :cheers::whistle:

What an amazing trade off!!! :lmao:
Too bad Bill & Ted are gone. Their Avatar in 2066 jokes could easily be replaced by Nintendo coming in 2100 jokes.

What is pouting about this going to do? As I said a few days ago, it's a very elitest stance and it's just not a good look. I'm with you on the Avatar stuff, but we're gonna get this when we get it.

If it ends up at Park 3 and is an improved version over the proposed version for KidZone (meaning additional rides), will you still be complaining?
If they add a significant amount and actually make this a centerpiece of the park I’ll lick all of my Switch cartridges.

For those who don’t know, Switch cartridges are coated in a very bitter tasting substance so really young kids would spit them out immediately rather than choke if they put them in their mouth.

Why is everyone kicking @Mike S in the nuts here? He's right.

Does anyone truly expect something significantly different than USJ's SNW + Donkey Kong if it were to move to park 3? The USF/KZ version had an incredible setup. If anyone is expecting us to get more than that if it comes to a third park, I think you'll be disappointed.

So with that caveat and expectation set- we are left with 2 scenarios. Lets pretend the Kidzone IP replacement is Illuminations.
1) The existing plans for SNW are put into KidZone, and Illuminations to park 3.
2) Illuminations for KidZone, and SNW moved to park 3.

We're ending up with the same damned thing. So why kick Mike in the nuts about saying that we should have it sooner instead of waiting years longer?

The entire counter-argument to him is that we are going to get some incredible SNW that is above and beyond what we thought. Highly, highly doubt Universal creates completely different experiences, rides and technology- when they have already spent an incredible amount of R&D for what is going into USJ. In fact, it would be idiotic to, and fiscally irresponsible.
Regardless, We were already getting better than the other parks w/ MK, Yoshi + DK- which USJ and USH won't have. Do we expect to get 4-5 rides now? It's asinine to think we will. When has that ever happened? Ever?
I think he certainly has a right to his opinion and I don't necessarily disagree fully, but there's no need to post after post continue to dwell on this. We as a community can't make this project start any faster.

Is it a bummer that we aren't getting it until much later than we had thought? Sure! But once you've gotten your point across a few times, you don't need to continue for another 100. It gets tiresome and the conversation really is going nowhere but in circles at that point.

And....there's always the scenario that Universal doesn't know what the hell they want to do yet. They might still be arguing the merits over whether to do SNL in Kidzone or move it to the new South Park....They aren't really the most stable when it comes to the where & when of new attractions.

If it ends up being Hello Kitty it’s pretty much a repellent to anyone that’s a boy or a family without a young daughter.

Sanrio has some characters that could skew toward boys. A soccer-playing puppy, Badz Maru (literally "Bad Penguin"). Or, if this is a salvage job, keep/expand Woody Woodpecker a bit. I think there are options.

And Universal’s apparent lack of drive to get this done especially since it could be so much bigger than Avatar is close to being comical as well :D

It's not a lack of drive. Stop being purposefully pedantic. They're going to use their (current) biggest possible attendance boost in the best possible way. If they deem that's to use it in park 3, that's not a lack of drive
My money is on KidZone still standing until MoM and VillianCon open. Eventually being replaced by Splatoon and Hello Kitty.

hellokitty-master.jpg

Splatoon alone would be a good choice. I think the chances of USJ at the very least getting it is pretty high.

I still don't think HK is a great choice for a big expanded presence

Sanrio has some characters that could skew toward boys. A soccer-playing puppy, Badz Maru (literally "Bad Penguin"). Or, if this is a salvage job, keep/expand Woody Woodpecker a bit. I think there are options.
There was just a Woody Woodpecker animated film released, although it seems to have been straight to Netflix in the US (although i've seen a decent amount of people talking about it on social media).

I would be okay with it if the land was delayed, just because it's better in the long run. USF has little expansion space. On top of that, the land wouldn't even have access to the expansion space according to the plans. Would you rather have the land now, with little or no chance of expanding in the future, or wait a few more years?

I would be okay with it if the land was delayed, just because it's better in the long run. USF has little expansion space. On top of that, the land wouldn't even have access to the expansion space according to the plans. Would you rather have the land now, with little or no chance of expanding in the future, or wait a few more years?
Based on the KidsZone plans, it looked like a (major) future expansion would actually be south, taking over ET and SpongeBob StorePants, since that's where the major tunnels/walkways led. It would be just as seamless as the tunnel to DK Country from within the main courtyard that way.

Based on the KidsZone plans, it looked like a (major) future expansion would actually be south, taking over ET and SpongeBob StorePants, since that's where the major tunnels/walkways led. It would be just as seamless as the tunnel to DK Country from within the main courtyard that way.

The problem is, no one sees ET closing anytime soon, and the store has always been packed when I'm there. Plus, would they add to the surrounding facade, or would they add to Peaches castle? And there's the fact that ET isn't that big.

The problem is, no one sees ET closing anytime soon, and the store has always been packed when I'm there. Plus, would they add to the surrounding facade, or would they add to Peaches castle? And there's the fact that ET isn't that big.
Well, I think the plan was to add "expansions" in IOA and the new park well before adding anything to the Mushroom Kingdom, if at all ever.

Other than the small bit of land leftover near DK that would likely become an outdoor play area that is. I imagine that would've happened within a couple years of SNW opening.

A Luigi's Mansion ride in ET would work just fine. Other than some spinners, I'm not sure the Mushroom Kingdom needs much more. Rather see entirely new lands based on other properties show up elsewhere, and not need to be connected to this land.

ET is pretty dang big. Mario Kart is going to be in a space relatively the same size.

And if Nintendo does end up staying in USF, I definitely see it meaning ET's days are numbered.

Maybe I'm stubborn, but I'm more inclined to believe it will still be in KidsZone, even if a year later than planned. I can't see them changing the plans for one out of three destinations when these plans are so detailed, layered, and intricately woven to create multiple rides and zones, with backstage tucked so neatly under stairways, breakrooms shared between attractions and restaurants, all to create an immersive high-tech land that could be built in 3 parks without much adjustment. The amount of planning and work already done, just to start over, seems strange to me, but maybe that's business and I'm just not used to it.

I still come back to, if it's moved, its because they felt they needed it there more. Maybe LOTR isn't a lock. Or maybe they are planning on rushing Park 3 and LOTR isn't going to be ready at opening, so they feel they need Mario there. If that's the case, the only work they've done is plans and engineering work. A lot of that can be moved to the plans for the new park.

Why is everyone kicking @Mike S in the nuts here? He's right.

I don't think people are knocking his opinion. It's his complete obsession and over the top replies to just about every post about it. Everyone here knows his opinion. Posting like he does just gives the impression of a kid throwing a temper tantrum.

Well, I think the plan was to add "expansions" in IOA and the new park well before adding anything to the Mushroom Kingdom, if at all ever.

Other than the small bit of land leftover near DK that would likely become an outdoor play area that is. I imagine that would've happened within a couple years of SNW opening.

A Luigi's Mansion ride in ET would work just fine. Other than some spinners, I'm not sure the Mushroom Kingdom needs much more. Rather see entirely new lands based on other properties show up elsewhere, and not need to be connected to this land.

I love ET, but I'd be ok with that- in particular if Nintendo is the success we think it will be. Curious- could MIB as an expansion happen in lieu of ET? Even more than ET, I'd hate to see MIB go, but I realize the repairs and ride tech will likely be replaced eventually.

More than any of these projects- the fact MoM hasn't started just annoys me. It'd really make the area look beautiful, and I would've loved to see it done by 2019 when the star wars crowds visit. Instead we still have that atrocity FF just staring at me :)

I love ET, but I'd be ok with that- in particular if Nintendo is the success we think it will be. Curious- could MIB as an expansion happen in lieu of ET? Even more than ET, I'd hate to see MIB go, but I realize the repairs and ride tech will likely be replaced eventually.

More than any of these projects- the fact MoM hasn't started just annoys me. It'd really make the area look beautiful, and I would've loved to see it done by 2019 when the star wars crowds visit. Instead we still have that atrocity FF just staring at me :)
Based on the KidsZone SNW plans I don’t think the plan was to ever connect to the north side/ up to MiB. My guess is MiB and the plot to its right would be reserved for a different kind of future expansion, not Nintendo related, (or at least not related to Mushroom Kingdom so no need to connect behind Simpsons.)

Interestingly enough, at last HHN I heard one of the things that needed to be finished before work on Nintendo would commence, was moving some of the support buildings in that area. Is the new parade building already in use?