Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 213 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would argue they're expecting Cars levels of merch, food, and attendance expansion. That said, unlike most here, I definitely think it could reach Potter levels of attendance. Especially with a good ad campaign. Imagine an ad with a family interacting with a hyper-realistic Na'vi animatronic along with images from the boat ride and E-ticket. That would sure get my kids excited! If you watch a few Avatar-related YouTube videos the comments are filled to the brim with "Wish I could visit Pandora"-esque comments. I think the demand to visit Pandora isn't even half as nostalgically high as Hogwarts, but will still be just as high due to the sheer levels of fascination of visiting Pandora, and experiencing what I'm told will be the best ride in Orlando, bar none.

Why do people say, "Pretty to look at, but otherwise...". As if it'll be uninspiring, or that the little details won't be there. I can tell you that this land will tell a story better than Diagon Alley, completely on its own. Disney and James Cameron have crafted a brand new story for this land, that has little in common with the movie. As for food, the overwhelmingly typical guest doesn't eat because they want to try some "crappy theme park food", they eat because they're hungry. Any new land, including HP hasn't/won't significantly boost food sales relative to attendance.

Consider this: would you rather spend your final day or two in Orlando paying $105 for a day at USF with the amazing Diagon Alley, or $68 /$60 for a 5th/6th day at WDW to experience the equally amazing, if not better, Pandora? This is Disney's target audience, and if more people choose the 2nd option, it could severely cut into Universal's attendance gains.

its hard to compare one theme park that was around 5 million a year attendance to DAK that is around 10 million and expect to similar growth. Plus HP changed the theme park game more than Avatar and probably even star wars ever can. I expect it to jump 15% in attendance based on the PR machine that is disney plus this is something new which hasnt happened in a while not to mention the incredibly immersive environment that will be unique.
im looking forward to coming back to this thread in a year or two to see what happened

Reactions: DoubleJ
Bet they are. Otherwise they wouldn't have spent 1 billion. I think the WDW Execs are in for a rude awakening. And I can't even see good food sales. Who wants to eat in a military mess hall?...This is certainly not a revenue generating IP. Pretty to look at, but off to see the rest of the park after the two rides and the walk through the imitation foliage pathway.
They spent 1 Billion because they signed a contract with James Cameron stating the land would meet certain quality requirements. They definitely didn't want to have to spend that much money and if they have any brains aren't expecting to make it back. Probably already planning on how to cover up their losses.

Last edited:

Of course...I expected nothing less...(and nothing more).

All I'm saying, is that Disney knows they don't need their 4th park to be better than USF or IOA, but by making it a better value, they can lure more potential 1 or 2 day Universal-goers to spend the rest of their vacation at Disney.

They spent 1 Billion because they signed a contract with James Cameron stating the land would meet certain quality requirements. They definitely didn't want to have to spend that much money and if they have any brains aren't expecting to make it back. Probably already planning on how to cover up their losses.
That's not the complete story for the massive cost over runs though. Much of the over budget expenditures were because WDW had to pay far over market value because they were late in contracting vendors, and the only way to get the work done was to over pay. Universal had most everything tied up in advance.That was just plain bad management due to WDW arrogance.

That's not the complete story for the massive cost over runs though. Much of the over budget expenditures were because WDW had to pay far over market value because they were late in contracting vendors, and the only way to get the work done was to over pay. Universal had most everything tied up in advance.That was just plain bad management due to WDW arrogance.
You know this how, exactly?

Reactions: martymcflyy85
This land is going to be a smash hit simply because James Cameron worked on it. Never underestimate James Cameron. Never.
The key though is that it will never come close to making it's money back. And, bottom line, Disney is in business to make profits, not lose money.

Then there's also the little things that add up, such as workers leaving expensive parts outside which got damaged due to rain and had to be replaced. It really is no secret that this land shouldn't have the price tag it currently has, which doesn't help they're not going to get the same kind of merch and food results that something like Cars Land got.

Reactions: Mad Dog
WDW will not see Potter-like attendance, merchandise or F&B sales from Pandora. What they will see from Pandora and Rivers of Light is the redistribution of guests around the resort. It should help some with MK's nightly fiasco.

There is a fan base that will go gaga for this land. It's not an Avatar fan base, but the large WDW fan base. They are starved for quality new content and will be dilerious with glee when this place opens.

I'm not a psychic, but I'd wager my house that the story will be VERY much like the movie;

Humans bad, deforestation bad, pretty creatures, war bad, pretty lights, mining bad, hug a trippy hippy tree.
nothing wrong with being pro environment
zero chance that "humans bad" happens
in terms of the billion dollar number thats internet conjecture nothing more...no one knows what it cost

EDIT: it wont do HP merch but i dont think anything ever will, doesnt mean it wont be massively successful. MK had a 6% jump for the decent NFL, this land is a much bigger deal

From the top insider in this business who is rarely ever wrong.
His name?

JOHHNNNNNNNNNNN CENNNNNAAAAAA

But seriously. James Cameron having say in creative of course caused this to go higher than Disney probably would have liked or would have spent without him. It's his baby, and he wanted perfection.

Reactions: twebber55
Also, consider this, if Animal Kingdom sees a 2.5 million jump in attendance, and the average guest currently spends about $350 each day at WDW, all other factors equal, that would increase Animal Kingdom's revenue by $875 million/year, with P&R operating cost at roughly 75% of revenue, a Cars Land level jump would mean they would recoup the investment cost in about 5 years.

I'm not a psychic, but I'd wager my house that the story will be VERY much like the movie;

Humans bad, deforestation bad, pretty creatures, war bad, pretty lights, mining bad, hug a trippy hippy tree.
The themes of a story, and the story itself, are not the same. That said, how exactly was "humans bad" or "war bad" a theme in Avatar?

Reactions: twebber55
Also, consider this, if Animal Kingdom sees a 2.5 million jump in attendance, and the average guest currently spends about $350 each day at WDW, all other factors equal, that would increase Animal Kingdom's revenue by $875 million/year, with P&R operating cost at roughly 75% of revenue, a Cars Land level jump would mean they would recoup the investment cost in about 5 years.
. I think all of your numbers are way off, and have absolutely no basis in fact. Daily guest spending is not that high per guest. And many of the guests aren't staying on site (which is generally filled to high 80% capacity anyway). The AP holders & off site guests are spending considerably less. Example; Everest opening increased AK attendance by apx. 15+%. But it didn't increase WDW total attendance much. Guests just took away a day going to another of the WDW parks & went to AK instead. It just moved the crowd around. I believe your assumption that WDW as a resort will get a huge percentage jump in attendance is a fallacy. Time will tell, but I sure wouldn't bet the mortgage on your numbers or hope for a HP type attendance jump for WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.