Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 212 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

And hopefully when they move it, they cover it. Because that thing is brutal in the summer months!
Yeah, i'm sort of hoping for a (small-ish) indoor space for it. I don't like shows that clog walkways and are exposed in the sun, so while rarely stop to see it I hope it gets tucked away.

Plus the boat ride is connected to Flight of Passage directly. The Show building at least (which makes the overall building look bigger when in reality it's housing 2 rides).

With 1 Billion dollars spent on this, they'd have to see a serious response to the land and it really helping DAK overall being more popular as a nighttime park.

It's almost impossible for them to recoup the $1B in a timely manner as I see it, but I do think the more important thing from Disney's view is that Avatar helps DAK become more successful and if that does happen, it could be possible down the line (5-10 years) that we see another Avatar attraction. The land was actually originally planned for 3 attractions, the third being a coaster.

I'd love to do an audit on their project management and cost overruns. Things do go overbudget somewhat routinely but not like this. I think that the Imagineers must have been defense contractors for Department of Defense in past lives.

Reactions: Nick and Mad Dog
its prob gonna be extremely popular with people at first. then later on down the road only the tourist will really like it. while the locals will go back to saying Disney original attractions were better.

There's gonna be four more movies. Fox is going to make Avatar a thing through nothing more than brute force of will. If you throw enough marketing and movies behind something, it'll become a cultural phenomenon (to some extent). Pandora will be popular and it'll be popular for quite some time.

There's gonna be four more movies. Fox is going to make Avatar a thing through nothing more than brute force of will. If you throw enough marketing and movies behind something, it'll become a cultural phenomenon (to some extent). Pandora will be popular and it'll be popular for quite some time.
They still haven't written the 2nd movie yet. Jimmy is too busy trying to take a submarine to Mars.

New aerials!

Photos: New aerial look at Pandora - The World of Avatar (9/13/16) - Blog Mickey

Last edited:
They still haven't written the 2nd movie yet. Jimmy is too busy trying to take a submarine to Mars.

New aerials!

Photos: New aerial look at Pandora - The World of Avatar (9/13/16) - Blog Mickey
Wow! Now, I'm heavily Universal/Potter biased, but I truly believe this will be just as good immersively (is that a word? @Teebin word check?) detailed as Diagon Alley. I still don't think it will have the popularity/retaining power of potter even with the new movies coming out. You just don't see avatar fans like you see potter fans.. case in point, I'm currently re-reading the series for the fourth time and that's not including the multiple rereads of individual books not in any particular order, plus the supplemental books that came out. I loved Avatar as a movie, but that was because of the stunning use of 3D/ VFX was unlike anything else at the time.

Reactions: JoeCamel and rioriz
Why go to Pandora when FOX can just bring a mini version to you? I wonder if Disney knew about this as well.

With the first of four sequels to James Cameron’s Avatar due to be released in late 2018, Fox Consumer Products is rolling out a traveling exhibition inspired by the franchise. Avatar: Discover Pandora will debut on December 7 in Taipei, Taiwan, reconnecting fans with the land of the Na’vi — and aiming to get new ones saying, “I see you.”

The presentation will showcase the science and technology of the environments and creatures in the world Cameron created. The 12,000-square-foot interactive exhibition will remain in Taipei for three months, then be toured by Global Events provider GES in collaboration with Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and 20th Century Fox Consumer Products.

GES, Lightstorm and Fox worked together to give fans the chance to explore Pandora in a real-life setting where they’ll learn about space travel and the history of the discovery of Pandora; explore its flora and fauna; engage in activities based on the culture, language and music of the Na’vi; interact with banshees; and learn how to operate an AMP suit.

Fox Rolling Out ‘Avatar: Discover Pandora’ Traveling Exhibition | Deadline

I agree Avatar does not have the fan following as HP. However, build an immersive, fun land, with cool rides....and that doesn't matter. It's not like people are skipping HP land because they haven't read the books and/or watched the movies.

Never seen Song of the south, but Splash Mountain is my favorite ride.

I agree Avatar does not have the fan following as HP. However, build an immersive, fun land, with cool rides....and that doesn't matter. It's not like people are skipping HP land because they haven't read the books and/or watched the movies.

I agree. I think it will be a fun immersive land, and I'm looking forward to it. The only issue I see, is that due to the nature of the IP, it will be more like New Fantasyland in where it's really beautiful, but short of the rides (Avatar rides will probably be better), not a whole lot to do to occupy more than an hour of your time outside of the ride time. Whereas, Diagon has so much story and details (even to a non HP fan like me) that I can spend many many hours exploring the land, on many different days...............Splash Mountain is my favorite WDW attraction as well. Always puts a smile on my face, and I can re ride it forever.

Reactions: Porkchop and Joel
I agree. I think it will be a fun immersive land, and I'm looking forward to it. The only issue I see, is that due to the nature of the IP, it will be more like New Fantasyland in where it's really beautiful, but short of the rides (Avatar rides will probably be better), not a whole lot to do to occupy more than an hour of your time outside of the ride time. Whereas, Diagon has so much story and details (even to a non HP fan like me) that I can spend many many hours exploring the land, on many different days...............Splash Mountain is my favorite WDW attraction as well. Always puts a smile on my face, and I can re ride it forever.
lots of conjecture there, we re not sure what all the land will have in terms of interactivity/things to do

in june when i took my family to universal i couldnt get my kids (17 and 13) to stay in DA to walk around, i loved it and enjoyed it

This is my concern. It is great to see DAK finally do something worthwhile with this land, but it still does not make this a full day park.

Reactions: Mad Dog

My fear is Disney is expecting potter levels of merch, food, attendance that they won't get and thus justify cutting back future projects or scaling them back significantly.

I hope Disney realizes that any bump is likely going to happen over the next decade. Avatar 2-4 need to come out to get any kind of strong following.

Surely they aren't deluded enough to think any of the IP products will sell like butterbeer and wands.
Bet they are. Otherwise they wouldn't have spent 1 billion. I think the WDW Execs are in for a rude awakening. And I can't even see good food sales. Who wants to eat in a military mess hall?...This is certainly not a revenue generating IP. Pretty to look at, but off to see the rest of the park after the two rides and the walk through the imitation foliage pathway.

Bet they are. Otherwise they wouldn't have spent 1 billion. I think the WDW Execs are in for a rude awakening. And I can't even see good food sales. Who wants to eat in a military mess hall?...This is certainly not a revenue generating IP. Pretty to look at, but off to see the rest of the park after the two rides and the walk through the imitation foliage pathway.

I could see Avatar land being a half day land due to the two rides and interactive aspects (like bioluminescence), with the rest of the park being the first half of the day. After the first few visits I see myself going to AK for Everest and Avatar land then leaving though.

Reactions: Porkchop
My fear is Disney is expecting potter levels of merch, food, attendance that they won't get and thus justify cutting back future projects or scaling them back significantly.
That's EXACTLY what will happen lol

Unless they create some magical Navi drink in a fiber optic suvinor glass

I would argue they're expecting Cars levels of merch, food, and attendance expansion. That said, unlike most here, I definitely think it could reach Potter levels of attendance. Especially with a good ad campaign. Imagine an ad with a family interacting with a hyper-realistic Na'vi animatronic along with images from the boat ride and E-ticket. That would sure get my kids excited! If you watch a few Avatar-related YouTube videos the comments are filled to the brim with "Wish I could visit Pandora"-esque comments. I think the demand to visit Pandora isn't even half as nostalgically high as Hogwarts, but will still be just as high due to the sheer levels of fascination of visiting Pandora, and experiencing what I'm told will be the best ride in Orlando, bar none.
Why do people say, "Pretty to look at, but otherwise...". As if it'll be uninspiring, or that the little details won't be there. I can tell you that this land will tell a story better than Diagon Alley, completely on its own. Disney and James Cameron have crafted a brand new story for this land, that has little in common with the movie. As for food, the overwhelmingly typical guest doesn't eat because they want to try some "crappy theme park food", they eat because they're hungry. Any new land, including HP hasn't/won't significantly boost food sales relative to attendance.

Consider this: would you rather spend your final day or two in Orlando paying $105 for a day at USF with the amazing Diagon Alley, or $68 /$60 for a 5th/6th day at WDW to experience the equally amazing, if not better, Pandora? This is Disney's target audience, and if more people choose the 2nd option, it could severely cut into Universal's attendance gains.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.