Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 211 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Avatar Sequels Will Be A Family Saga About Jake, Neytiri & Their Children

So most like the Nav'i in this land are based on Jake and his family.
What I don't get is why Cameron says they will be stand-alone movies. That's boring as all hell. Why make 5 movies if the plot just ends? For comparison, what if the original Star Wars trilogy had been made as just singular movies with no direct connection? The continuation and broad nature of the franchise is what makes it special.

What I don't get is why Cameron says they will be stand-alone movies. That's boring as all hell. Why make 5 movies if the plot just ends? For comparison, what if the original Star Wars trilogy had been made as just singular movies with no direct connection? The continuation and broad nature of the franchise is what makes it special.

I mean, it depends upon your definition of stand alone, I guess. Personally, I would consider The Force Awakens as stand alone in that you could walk into it cold and be okay and, while it left a few threads dangling, you could decide to not watch any more Star Wars and still feel like you got a relatively complete story. While some would argue against that, the main threat was the new Death Star and it was taken care of, the hero quest was meeting Skywalker which she did, and the main villain was defeated in battle so he had to go off to lick his wounds. It did not require any knowledge of the earlier films, but if you saw those there was more nuance/development between the already established characters.

I could see Avatar tracing his lineage over time while always having the next generation or two in view. Each member of his line could face some new problem in their movie that they solve, but each new challenge could still be connected (off shoots of the same corporation, a rival corporation trying to break into the market, tribal issues in Pandora, etc.) so that there is connective tissue, but also the freedom to come into Avatar 4 without having seen 2 or 3.

I am curious if this sense of family and heritage will effect the overall storyline of the boat ride as the slower moving system seems ripe for a nuanced tale.

Last edited:
Reactions: twebber55 and Nick
That's a very weird angle they chose to go for with the picture. Most of what we're looking at is backstage.

Reactions: Joel
I feel weird asking this, but does anybody know about expansion plans for Avatar?

I mean, there's 4 more movies coming out. I'd be shocked if Disney didn't add to the land, or at least alter the rides slightly, to incorporate these movies as they release.

I feel weird asking this, but does anybody know about expansion plans for Avatar?

I mean, there's 4 more movies coming out. I'd be shocked if Disney didn't add to the land, or at least alter the rides slightly, to incorporate these movies as they release.
After spending a billion already? I would doubt expansions of this IP.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Four theaters.
Plus the boat ride is connected to Flight of Passage directly. The Show building at least (which makes the overall building look bigger when in reality it's housing 2 rides).

With 1 Billion dollars spent on this, they'd have to see a serious response to the land and it really helping DAK overall being more popular as a nighttime park.

It's almost impossible for them to recoup the $1B in a timely manner as I see it, but I do think the more important thing from Disney's view is that Avatar helps DAK become more successful and if that does happen, it could be possible down the line (5-10 years) that we see another Avatar attraction. The land was actually originally planned for 3 attractions, the third being a coaster.

Plus the boat ride is connected to Flight of Passage directly. The Show building at least (which makes the overall building look bigger when in reality it's housing 2 rides).

With 1 Billion dollars spent on this, they'd have to see a serious response to the land and it really helping DAK overall being more popular as a nighttime park.

It's almost impossible for them to recoup the $1B in a timely manner as I see it, but I do think the more important thing from Disney's view is that Avatar helps DAK become more successful and if that does happen, it could be possible down the line (5-10 years) that we see another Avatar attraction. The land was actually originally planned for 3 attractions, the third being a coaster.
The coaster had to go. It's in the WDW bible that something has to be cost engineered out of every project (Page 6, paragraph c of the WDW Cost Cutting Bible)....I see no expansions. It cost way too much to begin with & Cameron is too hard (and expensive) to work with.

Reactions: SkiBum and JoeCamel
The coaster had to go. It's in the WDW bible that something has to be cost engineered out of every project (Page 6, paragraph c of the WDW Cost Cutting Bible)....I see no expansions. It cost way too much to begin with & Cameron is too hard (and expensive) to work with.
Cameron at least demands quality though. I like when WDW (or even Uni with WB, Simpson's and eventually Nintendo) are held in check and their feet put to the fire to make things feel absolutely perfect/immersive.

I actually am still slightly skeptical of the eventual result of SWL still because they are doing it in-house. They are running by their own rules, meaning no one is holding them accountable.

Cameron at least demands quality though. I like when WDW (or even Uni with WB, Simpson's and eventually Nintendo) are held in check and their feet put to the fire to make things feel absolutely perfect/immersive.

I actually am still slightly skeptical of the eventual result of SWL still because they are doing it in-house. They are running by their own rules, meaning no one is holding them accountable.
The other issue with SWL is with all of these attendance losses, and possibly more to come, how much cost engineering will occur between now & completion. I doubt Chapek will let another type of Avatar budget over run happen on his watch.

The other issue with SWL is with all of these attendance losses, and possibly more to come, how much cost engineering will occur between now & completion. I doubt Chapek will let another type of Avatar budget over run happen on his watch.
I don't think there will be any cost engineering. They wouldn't be clearing all of the land they are now if SWL as-is is completely budgeted in. They're already starting the beginnings of building foundations in Anaheim and it's all lining up, I doubt anything major gets cut. What may get cut are little details or plans they have for "The Market" area of the land.

Also, I don't think it's known where yet, but I fully expect Jedi Training to get it's own dedicated space in the land.

I don't think there will be any cost engineering. They wouldn't be clearing all of the land they are now if SWL as-is is completely budgeted in. They're already starting the beginnings of building foundations in Anaheim and it's all lining up, I doubt anything major gets cut. What may get cut are little details or plans they have for "The Market" area of the land.

Also, I don't think it's known where yet, but I fully expect Jedi Training to get it's own dedicated space in the land.
Maybe they'll move the Slinky kiddie coaster over from TSl, put a spaceship looking coaster car on it's track, and replace one of the two SWL attractions. Kills two birds with one stone cost cutting solution. ;):lol: Seriously though, they may not cut already budgeted dollars, but once the costs start skyrocketing over the original budget, which routinely happens at WDW, then those details and non essential buildings that make the difference between a great land and a good land, may start disappearing, one at a time. Things like live character SWL streetmosphere, the marketplace (as you said), and general theming. My bet is it will happen, in a negative way.

Maybe they'll move the Slinky kiddie coaster over from TSl, put a spaceship looking coaster car on it's track, and replace one of the two SWL attractions. Kills two birds with one stone cost cutting solution. ;):lol: Seriously though, they may not cut already budgeted dollars, but once the costs start skyrocketing over the original budget, which routinely happens at WDW, then those details and non essential buildings that make the difference between a great land and a good land, may start disappearing, one at a time. Things like live character SWL streetmosphere, the marketplace (as you said), and general theming. My bet is it will happen, in a negative way.
I tend to doubt it will happen with SWL, simply because SWL is basically going to be their Diagon. They need huge star wars fans to step into the land and be completely taken aback and immersed. They also need to appeal to just the regular visitor by having great rides (which from the sound of it, is happening).

They've cut back on the ludicrous budget that TSL had, mostly imo, because they don't want to cut from SWL. Oh, and bc TSL isn't worth $500M...

Last edited:
Reactions: jtsalien
Status
Not open for further replies.