Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 79 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For everyone who think this is still coming, just think about it, what would be smarter to build and profitibale....Avatar, pay a royalty fee and have to deal with the headache of Cameron? Or develop probably THE largest IP in existence, AND you own it so you control the creative for it....

It's not that simple.:wave:

The buyout of the project is fairly hefty. The mouse would be paying Cameron a nice sum to just dump it.

Well they could always keep it "in development" stage for a long time and purposefully have disagreements with Cameron which keeps putting it on the shelf and "back to the drawing board"

I don't think it's so much people hate Avatar, they just want to see Star Wars happen more. Honestly I would like the Avatarland more if we saw more than just Soarin 2.0 planned for it. If it was going to be epic and amazing then I would be 100% down for it, unfortunately that's not the case, and most people on here just know Star Wars would drag in more people (although it would sound awkward hearing people say "let's go to Animal Kingdom so we can check out Star Wars land!").

I don't think it's so much people hate Avatar, they just want to see Star Wars happen more. Honestly I would like the Avatarland more if we saw more than just Soarin 2.0 planned for it. If it was going to be epic and amazing then I would be 100% down for it, unfortunately that's not the case, and most people on here just know Star Wars would drag in more people (although it would sound awkward hearing people say "let's go to Animal Kingdom so we can check out Star Wars land!").

i get that to a certain extent..but if star wars was such a boom in theme parks how come star tours 2.0 opened to a big thud....like hardly any wait when it opened...but i do agree with you as long as TDO continues to nickel and dime things nothing is going to get built

i will continue to use my dvc to stay in and drive over to universal like i have the last two years

i get that to a certain extent..but if star wars was such a boom in theme parks how come star tours 2.0 opened to a big thud....like hardly any wait when it opened...

1) Lack of advertising. Aside from a dinky Florida mall tour, no one knew Star Tours was being completely redone

2) It's still just a refurb. It's still, for all intents and purposes, the same ride witha few new features. Not as exciting as a brand new attraction.

People will come for Star Wars. Just look at the crazy crowds Star Wars Weekends gets.

sorry man i dont buy the lack of advertising excuse...tons knew about it....still a refurb i can see your point...but its still star wars and by 2:00 that day there was little to no wait

today its the 4th most popular ride at the park

so ride quality./experience is more important than the IP
dont get me wrong like star wars (im 40) and want to see it expanded..but ride quality is more important

sorry man i dont buy the lack of advertising excuse...tons knew about it....still a refurb i can see your point...but its still star wars and by 2:00 that day there was little to no wait

today its the 4th most popular ride at the park

You don't have to buy it. It's the truth. Tons od people knew about it in the theme park fan community. No where else. There were no commercials, no adds, nothing.

And it has a small wait because its capacity is HUGE. Much bigger than ToT, RNRC, and TSMM. It's ridership is probably bigger than all of them, save for ToT.

You don't have to buy it. It's the truth. Tons od people knew about it in the theme park fan community. No where else. There were no commercials, no adds, nothing.

And it has a small wait because its capacity is HUGE. Much bigger than ToT, RNRC, and TSMM. It's ridership is probably bigger than all of them, save for ToT.
its not THE truth its your truth and its an excuse

still 4th most popular ride there
where are people going when the park opens
TSMM
RNRC
TOT

ST sorry about facts friend

- - - Updated - - -

looked at my app ST has a 10 minute wait right now LOL

good ride not bashing it just quoting facts not giving opinions

its not THE truth its your truth and its an excuse

still 4th most popular ride there
where are people going when the park opens
TSMM
RNRC
TOT

ST sorry about facts friend

- - - Updated - - -

looked at my app ST has a 10 minute wait right now LOL

good ride not bashing it just quoting facts not giving opinions

Please, show me a nationally run TV commercial with Star Tours: The Adventures Continue. Oh you can't? Right, because it didn't exist. Don't tell me "tons of people knew about it" because it's a BS qualifier.

And "where people go" and "line length" are also BS qualifiers when it comes to popularity. It's all about OHRC and how many people the ride puts through in a day. Star Tours puts more people through it than RNRC and TSMM.

I don't care about what you have to say about the ride, because personally I think it's pretty crappy, but you obviously don't understand how capacity and rides work.

Hard for a ride to have a wait when it has a capacity more than double than any of those rides...TSMM has one of the worst ride capacities of ANY ride at ANY theme park.

Buzz lightyear always has a line, is it better than ST? How about TL Speedway? Dumbo? Teacups? Peter freking Pan???! You getting my point now? The ride capacity is what makes the wait time, not the popularity...every ride vehicle is full they send out for for that ride.

Its popular, but doesn't have much advertising.

still a 10 min wait lol

it shouldnt matter according to you star wars is the end to all IPs

relax and stop getting bent out of shape with the sarcastic tone
anyways back to avatar discussion

Star Wars is right there with LotR and Harry Potter as far as IPs goes. I am not really a Star Wars fan. I was in the 7th grade when A New Hope came out. I have seen the all 6 on their first run. But was never INTO IT. More like a passing interest.
But there are tons of SW fans out there. But I see a small problem with the demographic in that they are aging and have other responsibilities in life. The fact Star Tours 2.0 didn't blow the roof off the joint wasn't the lack of advertising. It's that it was just a redo of a 20 year old ride that the Star Wars demo has done to death. They are not going to fly down from Someplace, Upnorth for a refurb. I think there would have been bigger crowds if instead of the redo, they simply opened Mos Eisley Cantina.

I don't want to get too involved in this argument but Star Tours does get a decent line in California. During my trip it was constantly one of the longest lines on the property (sitting at around 35 minutes During a slow time) and Fastpass was typically 2-3 hours out instead of the usual 45 minutes (Indy and RSR were the only other rides like this). Yes the Cali version has a lower capacity then Orlandos but it does go to show what advertising can do because the attraction WAS advertised in Southern California and the West (I saw the advertisment here in Utah). Startraders was also one of the busiest shops I went in and the Star Wars section was so packed you could barely move. People will travel from all over the World to see a Star Wars land brought to life.

so I get the Star Tours argument...and I don't believe it is fair to use Star Tours as the only indication of the IPs value. What I question is that folks seem to forget that the theme parks aren't targeted toward guys in their 30's and 40's they are targeted at their kids. Star Wars has been rejuvenated with a younger male audience through the New Trilogy and Clone Wars, it was that excitement and the ability to re-energize the fan-base that got Disney in the Star Wars business. However, that doesn't mean it is Star Wars vs Pandora for a new land in AK. Iger announced Pandora for AK, everything else at this point is wishful thinking. Star Wars will come in some form or fashion, but Iger wouldn't have brought up Pandora up twice in the last month if he wasn't pushing it internally, execs don't set themselves up to be the face of a bad deal, if it was dead it would not have been even remotely mentioned in the last 30 days. This isn't fanboy vs. fanboy, the company has voiced their direction and reminded the world of that.

It's not like Spiderman drew HUGE crowds when it's refurb was done, but yet we are still seeing huge amounts of people at the WWoHP. Spiderman and FJ are constantly at the top lists of discussion for #1 dark ride. I wouldn't pay to bring my entire (theoretical) family to see the new Star Tours, but I would pay to see an entire zone, especially if I was a fan of the attraction (Star Wars has a huge fan base).

Whilst Star Wars seems a good choice of land for popularity reasons, I don't understand its application into AK? With Avatar it is more apparent as the storyline and graphics focus on wildlife and the ecosystem of Pandora. Star Wars is about dudes with lightsabers.

Status
Not open for further replies.