Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I thought no one "cared" about Avatar enough to buy merch?

I still don't think they do. But the land is done so well, even I was thinking if I should grab a t-shirt or not.

But the shoulder banshee is done so well, I don't see how a kid wouldn't want it. I haven't seen anything comparable in the toy market.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you know the meaning behind "The Rookery" name (where the banshees are sold)? I'm going to guess probably not a lot because Avatar :lol:

In the movie, a Banshee Rookery is where you are taken to perform your right of passage (iknimara). Once taken there, you must chose from hundreds of banshees for one to become your own and it must choose you. Think of the scene where Jake chooses his banshee in the movie.

Reactions: Joel
Well, it sort of proves the idea of ride as IP. Which is what Disney has been toying with internally.

The film could not exist and it'd be a decent ride and sell some stuff.

There's two ways stuff sells when related to a ride.. Skeeving snack boxes have meh candy, cost a ton, but sell due to their links to Potter lore. Same for Chocolate Frogs and some others.

But then there's stuff like Pumpkin Juice and Pygmy Puffs. They're in the more, but they sell because Puffs are cute and the Pumpkin juice actually tastes good. The lore may help but it's not supporting the product entirely.

Many of the Pandora items are lore adjacent but pretty neat all on their own. The one that relies entirely on the lore to sell? The translator. Ain't nobody want it.

Well lucky for you, you can put the same banshee that you put on your should on display on your desk if you buy the upcharge display stand! I actually like it the stand, but i'm also probably not getting one of these things. I can see how these could be very intriguing items for cosplay though (and it wouldn't even need to be avatar related cosplay).

04BansheeCastDisplayV2.jpg
Bought a stand today. Really nice and only 13 bucks with AP discount. Much heavier than I was expecting. And the cord wraps under it neatly. Nice add on.

Reactions: Joel and Nick
On this note, I have to say how amazed I am at how far theme park food has come. It wasn't too long ago that every restaurant carried the same, typical fair. It blows my mind to see some of the offerings that are being served nowadays. It looks like Pandora has succeeded in creating a variety of great food.

I actually looked up tickets for Animal Kingdom the other week because of Pandora. I've never had the opportunity to go to AK and it seems it's going to have to be a priority moving forward.

I would say it is the best "theme" park in the US. The theming is on par with Tokyo Disney Sea. It is lacking rides though.

Also, Disney does not make the cheese burger pods. They buy them pre-made.

Reactions: UNIrd and USO92
Well, it sort of proves the idea of ride as IP. Which is what Disney has been toying with internally.

The film could not exist and it'd be a decent ride and sell some stuff.

There's two ways stuff sells when related to a ride.. Skeeving snack boxes have meh candy, cost a ton, but sell due to their links to Potter lore. Same for Chocolate Frogs and some others.

But then there's stuff like Pumpkin Juice and Pygmy Puffs. They're in the more, but they sell because Puffs are cute and the Pumpkin juice actually tastes good. The lore may help but it's not supporting the product entirely.

Many of the Pandora items are lore adjacent but pretty neat all on their own. The one that relies entirely on the lore to sell? The translator. Ain't nobody want it.

It's a small shop in a land sill flooded with first time visiting Disney fans, I'm not surprised there is a line. Also wanted to add onto the "ride as an IP" idea which I agree with, if this was original Disney would not be paying Fox to use the property

Reactions: Joel
It's a small shop in a land sill flooded with first time visiting Disney fans, I'm not surprised there is a line. Also wanted to add onto the "ride as an IP" idea which I agree with, if this was original Disney would not be paying Fox to use the property
Iger wouldn't have the balls to spend the type of money they did on this land without an IP involved though. We all know it's possible, but the "Potter Effect" has made approving anything without an IP attached to it next to impossible at Disney.

The Bowl did look pretty good.
I think steak is the best. Loved the black bean vinaigrette, had an Asian taste like sesame oil to it. Chimmichuri tasted Mexican like cumin. The cream sauce is a safe choice. You can get sauce on the side and even get more than one if you're not sure which to get.

Reactions: jtsalien and Nick
So, I'm collecting hidden things and interesting details from Pandora for an article I'm gonna write next week. Noticed this on my way out of the first floor theater of FoP this morning.

IMG_6617.JPG

It took me a few minutes, but I realized they're the "signatures" for the land by James Cameron, Joe Rhode, and Jon Landau.

IMG_6616.JPG

I noticed James Cameron's birthday hidden in the queue my last visit. Not sure if it was posted here or not:

If you're in the standby line, the room right before you enter the lab where nature has over grown the area, if you look over the banisters, down on the ground are different age military equipment like ammo boxes and stuff that have been left behind. I thought it was a cool detail, and not something you would realize unless you're looking for it.

Reactions: Alicia
So, I'm collecting hidden things and interesting details from Pandora for an article I'm gonna write next week. Noticed this on my way out of the first floor theater of FoP this morning.

View attachment 4596

It took me a few minutes, but I realized they're the "signatures" for the land by James Cameron, Joe Rhode, and Jon Landau.

View attachment 4597

I noticed James Cameron's birthday hidden in the queue my last visit. Not sure if it was posted here or not:

Interesting, two lefts and a right, usually creatives tend to the left hand. Hmmmmmm....

Oh, but of course this land was built on the backs of many slaughtered Na'vi. That's why there's none walking around the land. These were the last known photographs of native Na'vi.

View attachment 4598

Which explains why their sacred ceremonial items are scattered around and the multigenerational hammocks they burn upon discarding are hanging in a canteen like cheap decor?

Reactions: Alicia