Solo: A Star Wars Story | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Solo: A Star Wars Story

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm just going to keep repeating how bad of a casting choice Alden Ehrenreich was until pretty much forever and i'll also keep letting as many people as possible know that Ansel Elgort (aka Baby Driver) was passed over in favor of him. :whistle:

The trailer also weirdly reminds me of Guardians of the Galaxy with the whole "I'm putting together a team... you in?" line.

This is the first time I’m actually dreading seeing a Star Wars movie.
Best thing you can do as a Star Wars fan (if reviews are bad at least) is just not go see it. Box Office numbers are what rule the industry and what will also get LucasFilm to rethink things if the numbers are substantially lower than Rogue One.

Reactions: jtsalien
I liked the trailer. Waiting till we see more of Alden, but so-far I'm just taking it as it comes (EDIT: I am also coming from as someone who likes Alden as an actor, but so-far I do think he's miscast).

Honestly, the parts I am hopeful of for Solo is Donald Glover as Lando, Emily Blunt as Qira, the John Powell score, and the visual effects/cinematography.

It looks meh. It still hasn't sold me on any reason for this movie to exist.
That's the thing, there isn't a reason to exist. They only chose it as the second Anthology movie because of how well known Han Solo is, imo.

I think pretty much everyone is trying to justify wanting to see/like this movie, but the truth is, nobody asked for it and certainly nobody wanted to see anyone play Han Solo while Harrison Ford was still alive.

That's the thing, there isn't a reason to exist. They only chose it as the second Anthology movie because of how well known Han Solo is, imo.

I think pretty much everyone is trying to justify wanting to see/like this movie, but the truth is, nobody asked for it and certainly nobody wanted to see anyone play Han Solo while Harrison Ford was still alive.

To be frank, I would've much preferred a Lando film, set after the events of Return of The Jedi, as that could actually work out rather well without it having to be something connecting to one thing before the original trilogy.

A movie just about Lando with a "Fake Han" cameo like Fake Leia in Rogue One, would have been more appealing. Especially since Danny Glover was an excellent casting choice.

Agreed, Daniel is a great choice for Lando, as I expect him to be the stand-out of Solo.

Reactions: jtsalien
To be frank, I would've much preferred a Lando film, set after the events of Return of The Jedi, as that could actually work out rather well without it having to be something connecting to one thing before the original trilogy.
That would've been interesting. I mean, there's a lot to explore with Han from before we meet him at the Cantina certainly, but we basically know it all and it's just so hard for me to go in and give Solo the fair shot it deserves because I simply can't picture another actor as Han yet. It would be the same thing if they tried to recast Indiana Jones right now. It would be very hard to get past.

I agree that Glover/Gambino is going to be the standout of the movie. Probably about as good of casting as they could've done for a young Lando. Do we know what time period this is set in? Is this right around the time of Rogue One? Or Before?

That would've been interesting. I mean, there's a lot to explore with Han from before we meet him at the Cantina certainly, but we basically know it all and it's just so hard for me to go in and give Solo the fair shot it deserves because I simply can't picture another actor as Han yet. It would be the same thing if they tried to recast Indiana Jones right now. It would be very hard to get past.

I agree that Glover/Gambino is going to be the standout of the movie. Probably about as good of casting as they could've done for a young Lando. Do we know what time period this is set in? Is this right around the time of Rogue One? Or Before?

In regards to Han's actor problem, I see the problem similar to whenever a new 007 or a The Doctor is cast. You will deal with the backlash, but all that matters is when you stop thinking of what could be, and just watching the film or television show.

Could there of been better actors then Alden? Oh definitely, and if anything, I would've taken up someone else, but that I am not going to be completely pessimistic over just a few seconds of dialogue exchange that probably doesn't mean much, as more reshoots are coming in the next two months.

Alden can be a good actor, but that this film has dealt with more and more issues than it's worth. I take it that going forward, Lucasfilm and TWDC will have to change, following the division between TLJ and the production dilemmas of Rogue One and Solo, and that it'll affect Rian Johnson's new trilogy, the possible Obi Wan movie, Indy 5, and more as we go ahead.

Reactions: jtsalien and Nick
Yeah... literally nothing about this film excites me in the slightest besides Glover as Lando. Unless this has extremely good word of mouth, I consider this an easy pass.

In regards to Han's actor problem, I see the problem similar to whenever a new 007 or a The Doctor is cast. You will deal with the backlash, but all that matters is when you stop thinking of what could be, and just watching the film or television show.

Could there of been better actors then Alden? Oh definitely, and if anything, I would've taken up someone else, but that I am not going to be completely pessimistic over just a few seconds of dialogue exchange that probably doesn't mean much, as more reshoots are coming in the next two months.

Alden can be a good actor, but that this film has dealt with more and more issues than it's worth. I take it that going forward, Lucasfilm and TWDC will have to change, following the division between TLJ and the production dilemmas of Rogue One and Solo, and that it'll affect Rian Johnson's new trilogy, the possible Obi Wan movie, Indy 5, and more as we go ahead.
I think the only difference there is that the 007 movies and Doctor Who have a history of changing out leads so it's just sort of expected that eventually the current one will retire and pass on the torch. Aside from some casting in the prequels, this is mostly a first for LucasFilm for a lead character.

I'll wait to see another trailer before judging Alden further, but I wasn't impressed with the delivery he gave of the lines they showed him saying in the trailer today.

So far we'e sseeing how brilliant the Coen Brothers are for casting Alden as a cowboy that looks the tough guy part, but can't act his way out of a paper bag.

And I disagree that you can't recast Han Solo. It's not that incredibly nuanced of a performance. In fact I'd argue Indy is the harder Ford role to recast.

I look forward to fan cuts of just a Lando film that will be sure to exist after this hits the fan.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
First- why is everyone in this thread calling him Danny or Daniel Glover- it's Donald. He wasn't in Lethal Weapon. ;)

Second- As someone who has followed him since his start of acting in Community and seen his stand-up in person- I'm just "meh" in him as being cast. He's as good as they could've done, but Lando is not going to be a standout- the character just doesn't allow for it. Donald is best cast as a guy like Troy in Community- that's his element. Although he is fantastic in Atlanta. But "meh" for Lando- I just don't envision a scenario of me walking away thinking "wow, Glover was fantastic". And this coming from someone who thinks (if he isn't #1) that he's top 5 in talent in hollywood. The guy can sing, act, write, direct, and do standup. And excel at all of them.

Third- This movie is all about Solo- and solo only. Everyone else is a side piece- no one can steal the show.

And I disagree that you can't recast Han Solo. It's not that incredibly nuanced of a performance. In fact I'd argue Indy is the harder Ford role to recast.
I disagree- simply because of who Han Solo was.
Ultimately- This is the problem with making the "secondary" scene stealing character that H. Ford was in SW and making him the primary character. It just won't work- it was a near impossible task from the get go.

Last edited:
I disagree- simply because of who Han Solo was.
Ultimately- This is the problem with making the "secondary" scene stealing character that H. Ford was in SW and making him the primary character. It just won't work- it was a near impossible task from the get go.

You're entitled to that opinion. I just don't think Han Solo is that unique
of a character. There's lots of similar (not many as iconic) portrayals out there.

But I'd pay money right now to see a Solo film staring Ansel Elgort (also directed by Edgar Wright, but that's asking a lot :lol:)

To me, the peope who wrote/cast this film have a fundamental misunderstanding of who Han Solo is. Not because he's a complex puzzle that can't be solved, but because they did a bad job. Sometimes it's that simple.

Reactions: DK745 and Andysol
Third- This movie is all about Solo- and solo only. Everyone else is a side piece- no one can steal the show.
I'd be willing too bet that whatever the droid is in this movie - it won't be hard for them to steal the show. Disney has done good creating droids from BB-8 to K2SO (The only character name from Rogue One I can easily remember without having to think about it).

You're entitled to that opinion. I just don't think Han Solo is that unique
of a character. There's lots of similar (not many as iconic) portrayals out there.

But I'd pay money right now to see a Solo film staring Ansel Elgort (also directed by Edgar Wright, but that's asking a lot :lol:)

To me, the peope who wrote/cast this film have a fundamental misunderstanding of who Han Solo is. Not because he's a complex puzzle that can't be solved, but because they did a bad job. Sometimes it's that simple.

I don't disagree with this. But I'm more inclined to agree with @rhino4evr - that a Lando movie with a Han cameo would have been more captivating- but even that isn't that intriguing. Of all the characters in this movie- The story of the Falcon before it got to Han would've been more captivating to me. :)

The whole story of Han Solo is just unnecessary. This isn't Marvel Universe- we don't need to know, nor care about Leah's upbringing like we do Black Panther- because it isn't going anywhere; whereas BP advances the MCU.
What made Rogue One the best Star Wars movie to date (as a film), is that it was a completely separate environment, characters and story. Characters they could craft and give unique backstories to.

Hell, the fact your 2nd sentence is "I just don't think Han Solo is that unique of a character" is all the evidence we need.

Last edited: