Springfield Expansion | Page 224 | Inside Universal Forums

Springfield Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Long time reader since the days of WWOHP being built but finally posting.I was at Uni the last 3 days and noticed the construction going on while on the way to Lombards.Snapped a few pictures for you guys here .They arent the greatest since my wife was rushing us off to eat.Now I only hope I do this right since have never posted photos before.

Reactions: Felipe
I believe the reason they are sculpting the bricks is because they intend to paint the bricks... They aren't looking for "authentic" materials in this area, rather a cartooney Simsonesque appearance. Many of the bricks in NYC are real, and I have already had a conversation recently with someone in the biz about how they might execute the Grimmauld Place facade. Most likely, if they keep it brick like the movie, they will use real brick or possibly real thin-brick.

Some unusual theories about the brickwork. Stucco is quite a lot cheaper, lighter and faster than real bricks. It also depends on the look they are going for. But to my knowledge all of the facades with a brick or stone look are fake (either stucco or veneers).

It is true that bricks retain and thus radiate heat from the sun, the fake materials may too but not as much as real brick. Any method would have the issue of moisture getting in, and all have their own remedies. But "weep holes let in hot air"? Do weep holes let in cold air? Do weep holes let out hot/cold air? I am just saying the statement is misleading. Hot air rises, not lowers to the ground and finds little holes. Also hot air molecules are larger than cold air molecules, so instead of building up pressure it would escape through the holes.

Aside from theme parks, traditionally you'll find more brick construction where bricks are cheaper and less where they are more expensive. Don't forget that they are heavy, and shipping is a large chunk of the cost. And there are problems in colder areas, if their is moisture in the mortar and it freezes it would crack. But that does not keep people from building with brick in those areas, just like people build with brick here.

Last edited:
I agree that the brickwork will either be stucco or a veneer brick. I would lean towards stuck do to the speed of application. Place wire mesh on the substrate. Apply stucco mix and strike to mimic the appearance of brickwork. The time consuming part in this instance is applying the finish.

As for as ventilation goes you can place a weep hole at the bottom and a vent hole at the top. Problem solved. Moisture drains and heat vents. :thumbs:

996620_10151488558768918_287321714_n.jpg

Krusty looks great! The designers who design theme park costumes are amazing! Truly talented people .I wonder what material the costumes especially mask are made of and how long does it take?

My theory with the sculpted brick work is very simple. Its a time and cost saving measure. They can just pour whatever they are going to use over the concrete and sculpt the bricks in less time thsn it would take to build those walls out of brick. :thumbs: The key word here is time crunch. Uni wants this area to look amazing but they also want it finished quickly so it can possibly open like HTF wrote and my birdies have told me on June 20th.

Do you think that they were possibly seeing how it would look on the Kwik-e-mart building? I know that they added new fake bricks.

Correct. Because of that and so many other features of the area, I surmise that Duff Gardens will be no different. Thus the formed or sculpted concrete.

If anyone is able to capture the process of them creating the concrete brickwork, I will appreciate it. In the theming biz, there are 10 ways to skin-a-cat. I am fascinated at both the how and why of the methods chosen.