Springfield Expansion | Page 309 | Inside Universal Forums

Springfield Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This sort of goes against my previous post but does anyone think they'll ever pipe in regular TV at Duff Gardens? That might make it a more appealing place to sit and relax for a long period of time.

This sort of goes against my previous post but does anyone think they'll ever pipe in regular TV at Duff Gardens? That might make it a more appealing place to sit and relax for a long period of time.

They don't want people to sit and relax for a long period of time...they want them to order food, order drinks, get up, and go spend money elsewhere. So no, don't count on it.

Except for the bars that they have elsewhere in the park. :eyeroll:

- - - Updated - - -

Except those aren't cartoony outdoor themed bars--Finnegan's and Chez Alcatraz are located in locations squared off from the rest of the park. The environment is more controlled and less busy, making it easier to monitor guests and drinking, etc. Managing a bar isn't as easy as serving people liquor--quite a bit of work goes into it. Running a bar in the middle of a main thoroughfare isn't a good idea.

In any case, food and drinks, not alcohol, is what makes up the majority of sales in a theme park.

You realize they serve actual beer at Duff Gardens and inside of Moe's, right?

You realize that a bar isn't just a place to grab actual beer, right?

The point of a bar is to hang out in one place. Bars make money by getting people drunk. Universal doesn't want people getting drunk. The bars they have there now are relaxing little hideouts for locals and frequent visitors to enjoy--you get drunk in there, you're out. Duff Gardens is going to be somewhat of a destination considering its significance in the new Springfield area, they don't want the same people hanging out there watching TV and ordering beers. They want all kinds of people to come in and out, and of course, spend money. That area is a whole different beast than the current bars at the parks now.

Last edited:
Whatever. Don't lecture me on the difference between two places in the same theme park that both serve alcohol. I just thought it was a little overkill to have the same six clips playing at Duff Gardens repeatedly.

I agree with this 100%. I've said before that I think Duff Gardens would be an awesome place to hang out and watch some football on Saturdays or Sundays. I'm not promoting guests to sit there and get wasted; just relax, enjoy a few beers, and maybe catch a game. The longer people hangout, the more money they spend. I'm quite surprised there's no live TV. Finnegan's gets too crowded at times, and NASCAR is a walk. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.

Wasn't the park map supposed to be updated weeks ago by now? This is really getting ridiculous. Fast Food Boulevard and The Simpsons Ride are still in "World Expo" with no sign of Springfield. Is there some sort of contractual issue that is holding the map update up?
:thumbs:

I personally didn't detect a condescending tone from Tyler. It's so hard to convey the inflections behind what we type and it's easy to take things the wrong way when just using text! Play nice, guys. We're all friends here! :cheers:

As a current bar/club DJ and a former bartender, I can assure you that Tyler's actually 100% right in his explanation. Regardless, from what I've seen in the pics, Duff Gardens is a tiny little spot that isn't big enough for people to come sit down and hang out at...it's not designed to be Buffalo Wild Wings or another sports bar kind of place that encourages crowds to hang for long periods of time. If that were the case, they would have built a larger venue. Also, it's in a family area...Universal does NOT want people getting absolutely hammered when there's kids in the area and families walking through. I'm actually kind of surprised they're serving hard liquor at the Gardens and not just Duff beer (not that you can't get drunk on beer).

One other thing to consider: if you think YOU--the visitor--find those repeating Simpsons clips annoying, can you imagine having to WORK there? I'll bet the employees are going absolutely crazy having to listen to the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER 8 hours a day, 5 days a week!

Last edited:
One other thing to consider: if you think YOU--the visitor--find those repeating Simpsons clips annoying, can you imagine having to WORK there? I'll bet the employees are going absolutely crazy having to listen to the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER 8 hours a day, 5 days a week!

To be honest it's been open about long enough that the opening team probably doesn't even hear it anymore.

Sorry to change subjects. Buuut... Is there any definitive word on when, OR if the custom waffle irons are coming? I'd really like to try the chicken and waffle sandwich, but the prospect of frozen waffles as a bun really doesn't tickle fancy.

Sorry to change subjects. Buuut... Is there any definitive word on when, OR if the custom waffle irons are coming? I'd really like to try the chicken and waffle sandwich, but the prospect of frozen waffles as a bun really doesn't tickle fancy.

I think the orginal story was that they "were waiting on the custom waffle irons" or something.

They built all of Springfield in about 9 months so I think it's unlikely they'd tolerate waiting for these special waffle irons for 3 months.

If they really were planning on replacing the frozen waffles with fresh-made, they probably would have found a more reliable supplier by now. Or at the very least, I think they would have made a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond or Target to get a few temporary waffle irons while they wait for the "custom " ones to arrive.

My guess is we better get used to Chicken and Eggo sandwiches.