Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Regarding the title, I think the movie will center on the Skywalker legacy, as in the name, not the bloodline. Ben wants to cement the legacy in darkness, Rey, the spiritual but not bloodline successor, wants to redeem it in the light.

I don't think Palpatine will be alive.

Allegedly the movie is a MacGuffin hunt. I think they're going to be searching for a Holocron from Palpatine, which is how he will appear.

No it wouldn't. The arc isn't that he defeats Palpatine, it's that he defeats the dark side in himself and chooses to save his son. A character arc is an internal change, not outward actions.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm gonna have to agree with Belloq here.

Not that you're wrong about the arc - but Vader being the one to destroy Palpatine was bigly symbolic of his eventual redemption.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm gonna have to agree with Belloq here.

Not that you're wrong about the arc - but Vader being the one to destroy Palpatine was bigly symbolic of his eventual redemption.
I guess my point is that it doesn't damage Vader's/Anakin's arc, at least not for me. The only change is that we come to realize that Palpatine is insanely powerful, even more than we realized.

George Lucas must still be involved - he's the only one who could come up with a title that bad ;)

That laugh at the end could always have been Snoke 'coming back from the dead' I suppose, just making us think it's Palpatine?

George Lucas must still be involved - he's the only one who could come up with a title that bad ;)

That laugh at the end could always have been Snoke 'coming back from the dead' I suppose, just making us think it's Palpatine?
Ian McDiarmid came out on stage after the trailer. It may be misdirect, but an expensive misdirect if he were not in it.

I mean, per George Lucas, Anakin was The Chosen One, destined to destroy the Sith dynasty.

If Vader didn't do that in RETURN OF THE JEDI by killing the Emperor, that's directly contradicting Lucas' intentions for the character and the overall turn of the story.
Canon says that the Force still has not been balanced. The prophecy hasn't been fulfilled, the new generation has adopted this problem.

I actually jumped straight to Snoke. Wasn’t even thinking Palpatine.

I mean, per George Lucas, Anakin was The Chosen One, destined to destroy the Sith dynasty.

If Vader didn't do that in RETURN OF THE JEDI by killing the Emperor, that's directly contradicting Lucas' intentions for the character and the overall turn of the story.

I thought it was bring balance to the Force, not destroy the Sith. And it could be said he did that "from a certain point of view"

Either way, I'm stoked. There was some stuff I didn't like there, some stuff I really did like. It's a teaser trailer, so it did it's job. Whether the title works or not we won't know till we see the movie.

I thought it was bring balance to the Force, not destroy the Sith. And it could be said he did that "from a certain point of view"

It's a hybrid. The dark side/Sith are a corruption of the Force. The existence of the Sith is the imbalance, so to bring balance is to destroy the Sith. We can very well see in the sequel trilogy that the Sith have not been destroyed, so the prophecy hasn't been fulfilled.

A lot of supporting media do not see it this way at all (mostly Rebels dealt with it).

The "balance of the force" thing has *always* been pretty ambiguous.
I'm specifically citing Jedi interpretation of the prophecy (the only in-canon explanation that I'm aware of.) Lucas's interpretation of the balance of the Force is touched on in TLJ, with keeping the light side (compassion) and dark side (greed) at an equal level. It's yin and yang with a different name. It can be argued that the implication is the Jedi interpretation of the Prophecy is wrong, hence why they all get killed.

Trailer is fine.
Title is fine.
People way over think these movies. After the pre quel movies and the last two you would think they’d learn their lesson.
Star Wars isn’t hard sci fi. Have a little fun for once.
I completely agree with your sentiment about just having fun for once. Star Wars was never meant to be taken so seriously.

On the title, I had a whole thing written up about it being trash. Then I got thinking about what RISE OF THE SKYWALKER could mean. Skywalker is singular here, not plural, so seems to be pointing to one person. In the trailer, Hamill's voiceover seems to say that this is Rey's thing now and she has to finish it. There was also the shot of her looking like she was quite literally skywalking. I'm thinking the title is pointing to Rey, but whether she's actually of Skywalker blood I feel is something that could go either way.

I completely agree with your sentiment about just having fun for once. Star Wars was never meant to be taken so seriously.

On the title, I had a whole thing written up about it being trash. Then I got thinking about what RISE OF THE SKYWALKER could mean. Skywalker is singular here, not plural, so seems to be pointing to one person. In the trailer, Hamill's voiceover seems to say that this is Rey's thing now and she has to finish it. There was also the shot of here looking like she was quite literally skywalking. I'm thinking the title is pointing to Rey, but whether she's actually of Skywalker blood I feel is something that could go either way.

I still think "Skywalker" will be a title at the end of the film. I don't think Rey is Skywalker blood, as it would make NO sense for that to be true at this point.