Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Im talking fan response. I don't think theres been an overwhelmingly positive response to a Star Wars film since the 80s. So to me, this almost sounds like just another Star Wars film lol.

I mean, the fan responses for the OT weren’t all that glowing back in the day either. Empire was very divisive and the Ewoks/Endor were hated. We just think of them as beloved classics thanks to the benefit of time. It happens to basically everything with a shelf life.

heck, the prequels are getting defense lately, and those movies SUCK

I just don’t think “fan response” is a legitimate barometer to judge a film, especially in the age of the outrage mob
That is a bit lower of a score than I was expecting, but reviews were VERY split coming out of the screening, so i'm not surprised.

Just make up your own opinion on this one. Everyone was amazed at how TLJ had such a high rating and then those same people are still bitching about it to this day. Just because this has a low RT score doesn't mean you personally won't like it. Plenty of movies have high critic scores and low audience scores and vice-versa.

That said... if the movie is truly hot garbage, Idk how much to blame JJ (he had to write a script film and get through post in close to a year and a half). I think Kathleen Kennedy is to blame for most of this trilogy not flowing properly because of decisions she has made.

I dint like to bag on Kennedy because she gets a lot of unwarranted sexist bashing online, but her and Disney deserve most blame. They wasted2 years of prep with Trevorrow, threw out everything he did when JJ came back, and then didn’t postpone the movie to let JJ get it right.

JJ probably deserves some blame because the dude is just not a guy who’s good at closure

I dint like to bag on Kennedy because she gets a lot of unwarranted sexist bashing online, but her and Disney deserve most blame. They wasted2 years of prep with Trevorrow, threw out everything he did when JJ came back, and then didn’t postpone the movie to let JJ get it right.

JJ probably deserves some blame because the dude is just not a guy who’s good at closure
Same about being timid to blame her bc of the sexist nature of the hate she receives, but this isn't the first time in the Disney-era even she's let something like this happen. Solo had a director change where they wasted a bunch of time and money with Lord & Miller and then rushed to "fix" the movie once Ron Howard came along. I don't know what they were thinking starting this trilogy without an overarching plan.

On the flip side, Kathleen Kennedy is also responsible for green-lighting The Mandalorian, and that's been great so far. I feel like for everyone at LucasFilm, getting the Skywalker saga over with is going to be a sigh of relief. Now they can focus on different SW stories and new even Non-Star Wars projects. LucasFilm is also going to be stretching out their portfolio beyond SW and IJ with the upcoming Child of Blood and Bone and Willow has a Disney+ series.

Yea, I think Kennedy is really good at making a movie that’s right in front of her as a producer. Her record shows that’s the case. But I’m not sure she’s a good master planner for an entire studio

Reactions: Nick
Ya, I think no matter the outcome of Rise of Skywalker, whether fans love it, loathe, are indifferent to it, etc, the main issue will always be that this trilogy has not been planned from the beginning. Id like to think that they always knew who Rey's parents were, or what Kylo's outcome would be, but idk, it doesn't feel that way. Ive feared for this movie trying to "recover" too much from The Last Jedi and it seems in some faced it may be true. We shall see though, ill be the ultimate deciding factor for that in my mind.

I think The Last Jedi as a stand alone film is maginificent, well made, shocking, stunning, visually epic, but does NOT fit in at all as a 2nd film in a trilogy. It did nothing with what the first film set up. This is why ultimately in my mind TLJ just doesnt work here because other than what happened with Luke, what has this really contributed to the new Disney trilogy and their characters? Not trying to make this into a TLJ debate, so sorry if I am.

My main point being, this film felt doomed from the start. Im not sure what any filmmaker could do to please every fan after TLJ. So with that being said, just go in with your own expectations like Nick said. Might be difficult with how much "talk" there is around Star Wars and this film but id just try and enjoy and have fun with it.

56% on Rotten Tomatoes. Wonder how the defenders are gonna work around that one when they throw it away as an excuse for every other subjective movie

I hope I like it

Reactions: Freak
I legitimately cannot understand this line of thinking
I understand it to a point. Rian ended a lot of arcs and while the film was great imo, I think Rian would've been a better director to have direct Episode 9 and close it out rather than Episode 8 where the movie as a whole was great, but it didn't leave a ton open for Episode 9 to work with and conclude in just one film satisfyingly.

I understand it to a point. Rian ended a lot of arcs and while the film was great imo, I think Rian would've been a better director to have direct Episode 9 and close it out rather than Episode 8 where the movie as a whole was great, but it didn't leave a ton open for Episode 9 to work with and conclude in just one film satisfyingly.
He ended a lot of arcs, but all of those arcs were set up in the first one. The idea that it "doesn't line up" with TFA just doesn't make sense.

56% on Rotten Tomatoes. Wonder how the defenders are gonna work around that one when they throw it away as an excuse for every other subjective movie
:tired:

And yet the movie people hate with vitriol is sitting at 91%. It's almost like film IS subjective and maybe this is a fun time or maybe it's a train wreck. Who knows! Can't wait to find out!

He ended a lot of arcs, but all of those arcs were set up in the first one. The idea that it "doesn't line up" with TFA just doesn't make sense.
It lines up with TFA just fine, that wasn't what I was saying. I guess I missed that he said that.

“Rise of Skywalker is my least favorite of the nine core saga films.”

Ooooooof

That quote makes this guy sound like a fool.
Nothing could be worse than the prequels.

Either way I'll know for myself by this time tomorrow.

Are people not liking it because of a lack of finality or just because it's bad? Because a lot i've heard sounds like it's pointing towards the former on why people came away negative towards this film.

Gave us zero answers on two of the main questions with TFA: Who's Snoke, and who is Rey. He completely ignored those and killed one of the characters before we knew anything about them. What does that kid at the end have to do with anything regarding episode 9? After episode 8 everything, other than some things being left unanswered, just felt finished. No more Luke, no more Snoke, Kylo and Rey still aren't connecting, so, okay? I really don't understand what the point of TLJ was in regards to the Disney trilogy. If it was a side film of the trilogy, with these characters, id get it and like it a bit more.
Im with Nick, Rian is a closer where JJ is not. Granted the jury is still out for me on Rise of Skywalker but just from past JJ films, he's decent at character building and world building, but thats not the kind of director you need to finish a complete story. Thats why TLJ feels disconnected from the rest of them. Feels too complete, while also somehow ignoring some of the main plot points with the characters. Idk, just my take.

Hate = views
The worst offender when it comes to this on youtube is Grace Randolph. I've watched some of her Star Wars videos and she seems to know next to nothing about the Star Wars, but craps all over it because that's what gets views, right?

I still don't know why people put any credence into the "reviews" on RT.
I think people do because people are curious as to what the reaction of the film will be. Also, we know its media who is invited to these premieres, likely media that Disney likes and fans of Star Wars so they can get the most positive buzz possible. The low rating is definitely concerning, but RT reviews aren't a deciding factor for me, personally. Like I said with a film of this magnitude its certainly not a wonderful start lol.

Gave us zero answers on two of the main questions with TFA: Who's Snoke, and who is Rey.

He absolutely answers who Rey is. Rey is no one, dumped on a dessert planet by her good for nothing parents. And that's not "who she is" it's "where she came from".

As for Snoke, who cares? What answers does the OT give for Palpatine? None. He's just the big bad who gets tossed down a reactor shaft in the end.

He completely ignored those and killed one of the characters before we knew anything about them.

Again, ludicrous when it comes to Rey. Who her parents are has nothing to do with who she is. We know who she is. She's one of the most well developed and best characters these movies have ever seen between TFA and TLJ.

What does that kid at the end have to do with anything regarding episode 9?

He's a metaphor for what one of the themes of the movie is. nothing more. It's a period on the movie.

After episode 8 everything, other than some things being left unanswered, just felt finished.

I mean minus the fact that one of our main characters is now the Supreme Leader of the galaxy's strongest military and our heroes are now alone and searching for hope, sure, it felt finished.

I still don't know why people put any credence into the "reviews" on RT.

Reviews are important ways for people to judge whether to see a movie. People can disagree with them all they want in the end, but when going to a movie costs like 60 dollars minimum for a family of 4, people want to know something is worthwhile before dropping that kind of cash.

He absolutely answers who Rey is. Rey is no one, dumped on a dessert planet by her good for nothing parents. And that's not "who she is" it's "where she came from".

As for Snoke, who cares? What answers does the OT give for Palpatine? None. He's just the big bad who gets tossed down a reactor shaft in the end.

I think they should've at least spent a few moments trying to clarify how Snoke came to power only due to the fact that we got 6 movies dedicated to the rise and fall of the original Empire. We'll see if Ep 9 answers that.

I think they should've at least spent a few moments trying to clarify how Snoke came to power only due to the fact that we got 6 movies dedicated to the rise and fall of the original Empire. We'll see if Ep 9 answers that.

I'd argue the time for that was TFA.

But again, we never learn how Palpatine came to power until the prequels. I just think it's largely meaningless. Who cares how he came to power? He and the First Order are the threat to deal with, not how he came to be.