State of USH - What's Next? | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

State of USH - What's Next?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Did y'all see "Oppenheimer should replace Earthquake" too or am I going nuts? Because there's no way I just read that. A biographical film about creating a device that killed thousands in real life should not get a ride.

I genuinely can’t believe he suggested that. The only thing that could be even more tone deaf than that would be a Schindler’s List Live! stage show.

I might get hate for this but I think Earth quake should be replaced by oppenheimer.
Gonna be a broken record, but what the hell and why the hell did you think that made sense?
____
Also, I am once again shouting it to people: I really think you are setting your expectations too high for what comes next at USH. The focus should be on reinforcing and fixing things that the park needs, not extending it and making it massive in space for now. They still have options to go at (Parisian Courtyard, SS16-24/Rehearsal Hall) and will need to tackle the element of Springfield USA when it's time comes.

I genuinely can't see a major expansion happening anytime soon, outside of P515 (which is moving forward and should be getting work started by the end of this year or the beginning of next year. Gonna actually share this).

Did y'all see "Oppenheimer should replace Earthquake" too or am I going nuts? Because there's no way I just read that. A biographical film about creating a device that killed thousands in real life should not get a ride.

And before anyone might mention this. While people have died from natural disasters like earthquakes, a very important distinction is natural disasters are not weapons of war.

I mean Universal made the film

They are profiting off the event by the event

I will say yea, it’s not the best ideal politically but it’s the last big hot they made that uses practical events. So it’s why I suggested it.

It’s not that I dislike the earth quake segment but it’s based off a film That almost no one knows

Jaws, kong, the courthouse and psycho house are iconic to film. I’d like the tram to focus more on those and have relevant films.

Also I’m not against universal doing a project stardust buttttttt I’ve not heard a word about that here.
I also think it’s pointless for the parks to get this packed for so long and increase profits if it’s not to get more potter, Zelda, (Nintendo just had a great quarter because of how well the last game sold), dreamworks and other lands.
The park is too small and would be a waste of all they have laid down now just to stop here and go back to replacing old attractions and not increasing capacity and the amount of things to do

I will say yea, it’s not the best ideal politically but it’s the last big hot they made that uses practical events. So it’s why I suggested it.

It’s not that I dislike the earth quake segment but it’s based off a film That almost no one knows

Jaws, kong, the courthouse and psycho house are iconic to film. I’d like the tram to focus more on those and have relevant films.

Also I’m not against universal doing a project stardust buttttttt I’ve not heard a word about that here.
I also think it’s pointless for the parks to get this packed for so long and increase profits if it’s not to get more potter, Zelda, (Nintendo just had a great quarter because of how well the last game sold), dreamworks and other lands.
The park is too small and would be a waste of all they have laid down now just to stop here and go back to replacing old attractions and not increasing capacity and the amount of things to do

Just because they are profiting off of a film, it doesn't mean something is ideal to do so.

It's not like NOPE where it's a Sci-FI Horror flick with a core premise and air of mystery that allows itself to be marketable (Especially with a core location already blending in with USH), nor is it like Earthquake or Jaws where it takes you into situations that are nigh impossible to really replicate (same goes for Kong 360 and Supercharged). What you are suggesting, is to have something based by and large: off of an adult war drama that has noooothing that can be of use of it.

And once again, you entertained a political war drama on the creation of the FREAKING atomic bomb, something that had murdered hundreds of thousands of people in quick succession.

The Studio Tour is built, off of the preservation (however you can) and showcasing of the history of the Universal Pictures backlot; while also giving you the sense of being drawn into experiences that can only be replicated in ways befitting the material represented. It is a time to showcase the future, as we have seen with NOPE, and as we have seen with Supercharged (which works for USH despite it not being great or fantastic, allowing something to fill that spot for the time it should've been there).

But it is in *how* you represent yourself that matters the most.

And that's not to say Oppenheimer isn't an important film--if anything it might be the most important film of the year due to how Nolan is able to justify a near B/W war drama with the high expectations he and the audience places it. But just because of the practicality, just because of the scale Nolan achieved--does not mean it distinguishes and qualifies itself to work for the tour.

It's why I love NOPE, because it taps not into physical effects, but auditoria mixing and editing. One of NOPE's most defining elements outside of what makes it amazing, is the fact that it is on the sound level--one of the most terrifying modern horror films that has come out.

And I think that while I wish it was indoors, the showcasing of how they handle sound mixing and how it envelops and surrounds the trams makes it as much a valid experience as it can be. It being as part of the Tram is sensical, because the film links itself with the element of spectacle--just not the way people think of it.

Last edited:

Jerrod, please don’t go down this route. There’s a difference between a film, which is an artistic interpretation of true events, and a theme park attraction that provides a quick thrill. Profit doesn’t factor into the equation. A lot of companies profit from books, films, documentaries and television series about true disasters. But those are to educate us in an entertaining way.

Titanic is a good example of this. A terrific film, but when Fox Studios Sydney had a “theme park attraction” based around the disaster, people felt uncomfortable and it was criticized for that.

Edit: I hope we can all agree this point has been made and the book can be closed on this discussion. Let’s get back to the “State of USH.”

Edit: I hope we can all agree this point has been made and the book can be closed on this discussion. Let’s get back to the “State of USH.”

Good good--if anything, I am excited about the future of USH. Especially to see if CityWalk is going to get a renaissance for nightlife. Feels like something that'd make a lot of sense with P515 on the horizon; alongside the success of stuff like Dead/Red Coconut for Orlando making me wonder if they could bring back some clubs to USH. Feels like something that'd be welcome and appreciated; especially with it's close connective to LA Metro.

Good good--if anything, I am excited about the future of USH. Especially to see if CityWalk is going to get a renaissance for nightlife. Feels like something that'd make a lot of sense with P515 on the horizon; alongside the success of stuff like Dead/Red Coconut for Orlando making me wonder if they could bring back some clubs to USH. Feels like something that'd be welcome and appreciated; especially with its close connective to LA Metro.
Does anybody else remember when Citywalk had a bunch of nightclubs and was, like, THE place to be for nightlife in the valley? Most were on the 2nd deck past the food court, if I remember correctly, but it would be nice to see a little bit of that come back, if and when a USH hotel is added.

Does anybody else remember when Citywalk had a bunch of nightclubs and was, like, THE place to be for nightlife in the valley? Most were on the 2nd deck past the food court, if I remember correctly, but it would be nice to see a little bit of that come back, if and when a USH hotel is added.

It feels like a natural thing to come back.

Hell I'd take the bowling alley coming back if it meant they had a semblance of a nightlife again, it feels like the biggest issue USH has outside of the lack of sit-down shows. Hoping they can remedy both of those before LA2028.

Is it generally assumed that the 2014 shooting outside Infusion is what kind of sucked the air out of Universal's interest in maintaining CityWalk's nightlife scene?

Is it generally assumed that the 2014 shooting outside Infusion is what kind of sucked the air out of Universal's interest in maintaining CityWalk's nightlife scene?
Hmmmmm, that’s a good point. I do recall that lining up to the time period the clubs started to phase out, so I think you might be right about that. It’d be a shame tho if they couldn’t make it work again. Citywalk as a nighttime spot was really where it was at back in the day, and like @AlexanderMBush said, it needs some more nightlife. It would attract tourists staying at the hotels and locals who don’t wanna leave the valley to find some good nightlife.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I almost wonder--could a new security overhaul to have separate stations for all the parking lots and drop-off points at CityWalk help the situation?

Have to think it'd make sense that Security would likely be affected by some way or shape of the upcoming hotel project; especially given it's close vicnity to the globe from permit filings found by @salismetho; that they could be looking at modernizing the process.