State of USH - What's Next? | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

State of USH - What's Next?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To elaborate further--and to my understanding, the parking structure and the buildings around that structure specifically are critical to studio needs, even with the Creative Campus. Core elements used in that structure is for behind the camera/on camera, such as signs, lighting rigs, grip holdings, car charging stations for studio executives and more BoH elements.

I would be shocked if it ever becomes as part of the park.
Yeah the Bud Westmore building is not going anywhere. It’s too centrally located on the lot to be feasibly moved elsewhere. Expanding the park in that direction would essentially overhaul the entire studio, we’re talking billions of dollars for that.

The four stages, numbers keep changing so I can’t remember what they are now, that are behind the mummy, adjacent to Transformers, are earmarked for theme park expansion. I don’t have any real inside info, but the show I was on earlier this year used one of the stages for our swing sets, and we were talking to production about the possibility those stages wouldn’t be around if we got picked up for another season.

(Side note too: those 4 stages suck. Poorly designed, not very sound proof, and some things aren’t up to code but have been grandfathered in. I’d be happy to never work in those stages again lol)

Yeah the Bud Westmore building is not going anywhere. It’s too centrally located on the lot to be feasibly moved elsewhere. Expanding the park in that direction would essentially overhaul the entire studio, we’re talking billions of dollars for that.

The four stages, numbers keep changing so I can’t remember what they are now, that are behind the mummy, adjacent to Transformers, are earmarked for theme park expansion. I don’t have any real inside info, but the show I was on earlier this year used one of the stages for our swing sets, and we were talking to production about the possibility those stages wouldn’t be around if we got picked up for another season.

(Side note too: those 4 stages suck. Poorly designed, not very sound proof, and some things aren’t up to code but have been grandfathered in. I’d be happy to never work in those stages again lol)

Interesting! It has been officially confirmed that out of those four stages, Stage 22 will be getting used for HHN as of this year for The Exorcist: Believer (and it looks like a -tiny- venue), interesting to hear that it might have a more likely chance of being taken out of the equation sooner than later.

Reactions: Michael S
Interesting! It has been officially confirmed that out of those four stages, Stage 22 will be getting used for HHN as of this year for The Exorcist: Believer (and it looks like a -tiny- venue), interesting to hear that it might have a more likely chance of being taken out of the equation sooner than later.
Oh wow how did I miss that Exorcist was there? That was our stage lol
It’s so tiny in there, maybe just a touch bigger than one of the larger tents they use.

I will say, those plans could be held up for a number of reasons (ex: delayed due to strike if they don’t want to make the investment.) But it’ll happen sooner than I originally thought in Fall ‘22 when I first heard they were eyeing that spot.

Oh wow how did I miss that Exorcist was there? That was our stage lol
It’s so tiny in there, maybe just a touch bigger than one of the larger tents they use.

I will say, those plans could be held up for a number of reasons (ex: delayed due to strike if they don’t want to make the investment.) But it’ll happen sooner than I originally thought in Fall ‘22 when I first heard they were eyeing that spot.
The fact that they’re using one of those stages at all is a testament that they’ve all four of those have been handed over to theme park ops. They wouldn’t just hand over one since there would be sound issues. I also believe those are the only stages that have not had their roofs redone?

The fact that they’re using one of those stages at all is a testament that they’ve all four of those have been handed over to theme park ops. They wouldn’t just hand over one since there would be sound issues. I also believe those are the only stages that have not had their roofs redone?
I wouldn’t say “handed over” to theme park ops, but I would say they are letting their lines blur cuz they are the least popular stages, the ones in the worst shape and they know their end is near.

I wouldn’t say “handed over” to theme park ops, but I would say they are letting their lines blur cuz they are the least popular stages, the ones in the worst shape and they know their end is near.
I assume the timeframe of when stages 16-24 will go for theme park expansion will be around 2030 at the earliest?

I assume the timeframe of when stages 16-24 will go for theme park expansion will be around 2030 at the earliest?

As I alluded too in the Overview refresh, I think the goal should be to look elsewhere than SS16-24. Let them be used for Studio and park use for now, as there are more important fish to fry (like P409, Infastructure for property, and P515).

Honestly, the idea of the parks having a dedicated series of soundstages to use for the sake of HHN (as there is no way in hell they are getting Metro right now) is great; if only wishing it was one of the larger soundstages like SS16-19.

Reactions: Michael S
Potentially even sooner. They are small stages built back in the day for sitcoms and were some of the most used after their completion (1960s-90s.) However, they sit empty frequently even when the industry is busier than ever these days. The demand for those types of stages is so minimal now, and most lots are ripping them out.

I first heard rumblings about them being removed October ‘22 or so, and had assumed they were going to consolidate the four, and build a large state of the art stage in its place. Earlier this year I heard, now take this with a grain of salt, that they might not be around for our 2024 shooting season and that area was going to be used to expand the park further. Things change, but that was the last I heard.

Spitballing, but maybe they could link SS20-23 and the plot of land next to SS15 for that long rumored tram relocation project? Would certainly explain why they have left the area where the project trailers of SNW were as an empty dirt lot (even in the wake of repavements).

Spitballing, but maybe they could link SS20-23 and the plot of land next to SS15 for that long rumored tram relocation project? Would certainly explain why they have left the area where the project trailers of SNW were as an empty dirt lot (even in the wake of repavements).
Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume that this would mean a new tram stop would go closer to where the new creative campus is?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume that this would mean a new tram stop would go closer to where the new creative campus is?

Hypothetically speaking, you could just have the route go as it normally does, but I could've sworn @chris.g hinted that there was a desire to have the tram re-routed to show off the campus.

Either way, it has been long rumored, even if it acts as a means of opening up the space it could be helpful.

Reactions: chris.g
Hypothetically speaking, you could just have the route go as it normally does, but I could've sworn @chris.g hinted that there was a desire to have the tram re-routed to show off the campus.

Either way, it has been long rumored, even if it acts as a means of opening up the space it could be helpful.
Yes. That being said I have not received an update to this in years.

Yes. That being said I have not received an update to this in years.
Understood!
__
But yeah no, I am intensely interested to why we haven't seen any pavework go on for SS15 Side. Feels like the kind of thing you'd *want* to be doing, especially ahead of HHN (like they have for the roads in that cluster in general).

Reactions: chris.g
Soon enough Universal is gonna have to re-route the tram and possibly relocate the station if they want to expand the theme park.
In order to get the maximum amount of space possible for the park, I think the best option if they could figure out a way and location would be to put any hypothetical tram stop outside of the park. As for what could go into the tram stop, my guess would be either a land like SNW design wise that will block out the backside of FJ or whatever replaces Simpsons expands into the tram stop.

Reactions: imaleo
Soon enough Universal is gonna have to re-route the tram and possibly relocate the station if they want to expand the theme park.
agreed

It will cost but be worth it.

I think the tram needs more love as well, JC is cool but I feel like they need a stronger ending for the tram and to update some of the “effects” shown and some displays
I might get hate for this but I think Earth quake should be replaced by oppenheimer. I love tram history but it’s kinda boring how many movies they can’t really show you, like ohhh Indy was filmed here, no footage, and once upon of time in Hollywood was shot here, no footage.

I’d like more current things to have a foot print on the tram, back to the future, psycho, jaws I think covers a lot of the history people love but war of the worlds while a cool set, I’d just like to see something newer and more relevant or bigger part of cinema history.

So I hope they move the tram entrance and falls lake so we can get a second potters land, dreamworks stuff, zelda and something else because easily there is a lot of land not being used because of how the tram is located

So I hope they move the tram entrance and falls lake so we can get a second potters land, dreamworks stuff, zelda and something else because easily there is a lot of land not being used because of how the tram is located
If another Potter land were to be built, my bet would go to the falls lake area. Once HD is online and running, there would be no point of having supercharged. Demolish the whole area, and you would have about 11 acres of land. Which could be used for the MoM.