Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Closing

If you want to get technical..
USH (Theme Park)
2015 - Springfield, USH Supercharged, Nighttime Studio Tour
2016 - Hogsmeade (FJ/Hippo), TWDA
2017 - Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts
2018 - DreamWorks Theater (Kung Fu Panda), Animation Studio Store (and other additions)
2019 - Jurassic World

USH (CW)
2015 - ET Parking Structure
2016 - Ludobird
2017 - Universal Cinema, Margaritaville, Voodoo Doughnuts, Menchies, Mini Monster, Poke Bar
2018 - Sephora, Nectar Bath Treats, Vivos Italian Kitchen
2015 - Hello Kitty, GrillBrew
2016 - Kong, HulkRefurb, Sapphire, Toothsome
2017 - Fallon, Volcano Bay, CB Expansion, Holiday Revamp
2018 - Drupercharged, CineCele, Nighttime Lights, Adventura, Voodoo
2019 - Hogsmeade Expansion, T2 Replacement, Phase One of Endless Summer Resort
2020 - Phase Two of Endless Summer Resort
2016 - The Flying Dinosaur
2017 - Minion Park/Despicable Me Minion Mayhem
2018 - Universal Spectacle, Freeze Ray Sliders
2020 - Super Nintendo World

To say that Universal Parks & Resorts isn't doing anything, is IMO a false statement. They have a LOT on their plate, and especially considering the upcoming UOSouth and Universal Beijing; it's unfair for people to call them not doing anything.

I get your point to a degree but you had to quote back to 2015 just to come up with a sizable list for Universal.

Also if you notice the majority of additions for universal are food and hotel additions.

And I was mostly commenting on Orlando and little with Hollywood(US based). If you want to discuss worldwide then holy hell.

Disney has massive expansions planned for all their parks until 2023. Each addition in the multi billion dollar range.

My point being universal is building hotels and restaurants while Disney is building attractions and lands(in addition to hotels and new restaurants). Sure there are rumors and what have you. Sure Disney announcements are early but all the projects announced(minus the theater canceled but let’s be honest that was the thing people were least excited for) have broken ground Universal has nothing but hopes, Disney is action right now.

Universal gained on Disney and added fans(myself included) but why should I be excited in the near future about hypotheticals and a new resort we all assume will be open in 5 years but with no garuntee.

Optimism can die when there is nothing from them and only our hopes to go on. Disney Parks have me more excited regarding the future for the first time in the last 3 years. Universal has chance to steal the spotlight back but from all indications seem to have lost a direction to go so it’s loosing my interest.

I know I’m not even a blip on the radar but my family loves theme park vacations and we spend thousands at the parks on our annual trips. Now there are let’s say a million families like mine times 5,000$ a trip that choose to ignore Universal because of no new options(sorry voodoo donuts, new hotel, parking structure is not why I plan a trip), that’s $5 billion lost. To me that’s something

Universal gained on Disney and added fans(myself included) but why should I be excited in the near future about hypotheticals and a new resort we all assume will be open in 5 years but with no garuntee.

I'm going to be blunt: maybe you're not a Universal (or theme park fan) and are just a Disney fan who wanted more new stuff. That's ok.

But conflating your personal views as bad business is a logical jump I can't make.

I try to keep in mind that what Disney has been building in recent years, is their response to Potter. The idea that there needs to be a tit for tat, back and forth, is not the best way to gauge a resort's success.

Disney is finally catching up to Universal's big moves that started 8 years ago.

But, perhaps we've ventured too far off course in this thread?

My point being universal is building hotels and restaurants while Disney is building attractions and lands(in addition to hotels and new restaurants). Sure there are rumors and what have you. Sure Disney announcements are early but all the projects announced(minus the theater canceled but let’s be honest that was the thing people were least excited for) have broken ground Universal has nothing but hopes, Disney is action right now.

Did you miss the years that WDW coaster and added nothing major? I mean, MagicBands... but no big new rides.

Everest opened in 2006, Mania in 2008, 2014 brought Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and Pandora opened 2017. There are a few smaller rides (rethemed or otherwise) to fill in the gaps, and I would argue that those rides are not huge draws by themselves.

Disney is building several new rides, because they have to. It goes back and forth, like a pendulum... one resort adds something, and it takes years to make a response and create some competition. After all, when Disney and Universal compete for attention, that’s when we get new parks and marquee attractions.

As fans and guests, we can enjoy both worlds. Disney has a lot of construction now, but that will all shift towards Universal once DHS is squared-away next year (and the new Universal park starts to take shape). Both are growing but I think it’s really narrow-minded to choose one and exclude the other. There’s value in both.

Ah the Theme Park Fan Fallacy:

All projects should be known but they cannot change or be cancelled. Anything else is failure or doom.

You say theme park fan, but i'm immediately getting flashbacks from following video game forums :lol:

Anyways more on topic , as disappointing as it seems like this will be another thing in the existing parks being left fallow for a few years, it doesn't sound like it was drawing in much people or was that good and mostly hope the actors get back on their feet .

Anyways more on topic , as disappointing as it seems like this will be another thing in the existing parks being left fallow for a few years, it doesn't sound like it was drawing in much people or was that good and mostly hope the actors get back on their feet .
Yup. That's the real important takeaway for me these last couple days. Best of luck to them, but from what I have heard they knew this day was coming sooner or later.

If more people loved the show and wanted it to stick around, they probably should've been filling up the theater each showtime. Its closure will have practically zero effect on the resort as far as capacity.

I'm going to be blunt: maybe you're not a Universal (or theme park fan) and are just a Disney fan who wanted more new stuff. That's ok.

But conflating your personal views as bad business is a logical jump I can't make.
Disney fan? Way to make that jump I guess you missed the part where I stated Universal gained me as a fan. Or you just don’t like views so attack me like I’m just a Disney fanboy.

Well let me break this down I have stated numerous time that I use to be part of a Disney family but three years ago had fallen in love with Universal and became a Universal family. Last year went to Universal Orlando, stayed 8 days at CBBR, got RIP to HHN, was suppose to go toDisney for 2 of them but me and my family enjoyed Universal so much skipped, am annual pass holder now at UO even though I live across the country in Az. This was because of their improvements and Disney’s lack their of.

I am theme park fan through and through which means I enjoy a park that constantly tries to improve itself for a greater customer experience. So as of right now the company that is showing the most promise over the next few years is Disney. Sorry but I’m a realist. I love improvements, I like new experiences. Universal had them and Disney didn’t hence why they were gaining on them with the GP and I turned to them.

Yes I did want new stuff from them you’re right. Now is that wrong of me, the consumer to want that if your answer is yes then I am very confused as to what I should expect. Then I should have stayed a Disney fan during their slow period and been a universal fan during its. Instead I like to see new experiences my bad I’ll work on myself.

I am trying to remain optimistic but it gets difficult when almost all the rumored attractions and lands get pushed, delayed and canceled. All i said is that right now Disney has the promise, right now, for the future universal can but are living in secrecy and seems they are trying to find a direction.

I know some may find my views frustrating but it’s just a view and I’m frustrated too. Even then though please don’t attack me and jump to conclusions regarding me. Thanks

Wow, you all got emotional over a show closing. I'm trying to figure out how closing an under performing show gets conflated to theme park armageddon and no one knows what their doing! Maybe calm down for a second. It will be ok. Big things are coming.

Wow, you all got emotional over a show closing. I'm trying to figure out how closing an under performing show gets conflated to theme park armageddon and no one knows what their doing! Maybe calm down for a second. It will be ok. Big things are coming.
I’m still trying to figure out the same thing. It’s crazy how this conversation went from happy to UO Management is horrible and shouldn’t be making budget cuts.

My apologies for my part of taking this thread off track with the venting my frustrations. I do mean that, my bad.

Just one thing for everyone though just because someone says something about the park you love please don’t jump to conclusions it’s very annoying. So far I have been called both a Cedar Point fanboy and a Disney fanboy in these forums and yet the parks I have spoken the most highly of and defended throughout my posts are Universals. Today was my first negative, thought I was allowed one. Not sure how that works.

My apologies for my part of taking this thread off track with the venting my frustrations. I do mean that, my bad.

Just one thing for everyone though just because someone says something about the park you love please don’t jump to conclusions it’s very annoying. So far I have been called both a Cedar Point fanboy and a Disney fanboy in these forums and yet the parks I have spoken the most highly of and defended throughout my posts are Universals. Today was my first negative, thought I was allowed one. Not sure how that works.

Don't feel bad about it, it's part of the discourse.

Also, discussion and discourse isn't "well I get one negative", it's about having a discussion with our actual thoughts and opinions on things. We don't ask for people to post 10 positive things for every one negative.

I hope you don't feel like you're being silenced or mocked and if I played a part in this then I apologize.

Also, discussion and discourse isn't "well I get one negative", it's about having a discussion with our actual thoughts and opinions on things. We don't ask for people to post 10 positive things for every one negative.

I hope you don't feel like you're being silenced or mocked and if I played a part in this then I apologize.

I don’t feel like I’m being silenced by any means. That was not why I was apologizing. My apology was based merely on taking this particular forum off track.

Now with that said I do need to respond.
I am always up for a lively and intelligent debate/discussion but when those, yourself included, decide instead of actually trying to discuss at reasonable level and instead decide that my reasoning is based off being a fan of someone else(CP or Disney)I find it highly annoying. At that point there is no longer a reason to continue as because of your bias have decided that my thoughts are tainted because I’m the fanboy.

I love new experiences and enjoy certain parks more than others(recently it has been Universal) but don’t swear allegiance to any. Let’s put it this way I always enjoy Halloween events and plan family trips with them in mind, yet don’t continue to do the same one, I want to experience all options such that 2016 was Knotts Scary Farm, 2017 HHN Universal Orlando, 2018 me and my daughter will be doing Dark Harbor at the Queen Mary before our cruise then when we return me, wife and daughter will be attending Mickeys Halloween Party at Disneyland Oct. 26th. 4 different events, 4 different companies over the last 3 years.

I know that I may get some backlash and maybe even in trouble as because of who I am directing this but you made the accusation at me with nothing more than your disagreement with my thoughts. Difference here was I had an opinion about a company and you(and others before) made an accusation about an individual(me).

Now forgive me but Sharknado 6 is less than an hour away so I must prep munchies for the family, it’s a shark day, we saw the Meg earlier now The Last Sharknado: It’s About Time, get it about time, love the double entendre lol. I’ll check in later or as I can.

Not that Joe needs a defense from me, but I truly do not believe anything malicious or derogatory was intended. It's often really hard to read a person's tone when all we have to work with is text.

Not that Joe needs a defense from me, but I truly do not believe anything malicious or derogatory was intended. It's often really hard to read a person's tone when all we have to work with is text.
Malicious no but derogatory yes. I’m not trying to start arguments or anything but I gave out an opinion and gave a defense of that opinion and his reply was as follows:

“I'm going to be blunt: maybe you're not a Universal (or theme park fan) and are just a Disney fan who wanted more new stuff. That's ok.

But conflating your personal views as bad business is a logical jump I can't make.”

I enjoy discussions and debates but his first response is that. If his intentions were good why make those accusations and assumptions. Why not actually engage the conversation and discuss why maybe I’m wrong or misled in my frustrations. Nope maybe it’s just cause I’m a Disney fan. Oh but he said “that’s ok” so it makes it ok, no it makes it condescending.

As I said my views may not be the most liked right now and I may be in trouble for this but it needs to be said. I enjoy a healthy back and forth regarding the topic at hand not the individuals involved.

7 minutes and counting.....it’s about time

This is why I stick around here.We can discuss and hold opinions without it getting nasty. I am no snowflake and enjoy other boards where I can vent but here is more productive than that.
As @Alicia posted, I hope the people involved with this show can find places in other productions ASAP.

Won't be sad or attend the last performance (well I will be onsite - sooooo....) but I hope they replace it or build something great to replace. What was that Z thing? I played Pong when it came out but I guess I have a huge chunk missing in my life experience.

Last edited:
Malicious no but derogatory yes. I’m not trying to start arguments or anything but I gave out an opinion and gave a defense of that opinion and his reply was as follows:

“I'm going to be blunt: maybe you're not a Universal (or theme park fan) and are just a Disney fan who wanted more new stuff. That's ok.

But conflating your personal views as bad business is a logical jump I can't make.”

I enjoy discussions and debates but his first response is that. If his intentions were good why make those accusations and assumptions. Why not actually engage the conversation and discuss why maybe I’m wrong or misled in my frustrations. Nope maybe it’s just cause I’m a Disney fan. Oh but he said “that’s ok” so it makes it ok, no it makes it condescending.

As I said my views may not be the most liked right now and I may be in trouble for this but it needs to be said. I enjoy a healthy back and forth regarding the topic at hand not the individuals involved.

7 minutes and counting.....it’s about time

Dude, he apologized.

This is why I stick around here.We can discuss and hold opinions without it getting nasty. I am no snowflake and enjoy other boards where I can vent but here is more productive than that.
As @Alicia posted, I hope the people involved with this show can find places in other productions ASAP.

Won't be sad or attend the last performance (well I will be onsite - sooooo....) but I hope they replace it or build something great to replace. What was that Z thing? I played Pong when it came out but I guess I have a huge chunk missing in my life experience.
Zorro? ;)