The State of Epcot | Page 49 | Inside Universal Forums

The State of Epcot

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My issue with the Tron coaster being duplicated from Shanghai, is the problem that they're currently experiencing with the restraints on FOP at Animal Kingdom. Average American body proportions are much larger than the Chinese counterpart and so they will have to build something with this in mind.
I'd love that coaster to come over to WDW (and I'm sure Disney would love to keep costs down by just duplicating it) but I'd hate for lots of folks to be disappointed that they cannot ride it.
Also, I don't believe that if it is the same coaster, that it will be with the Tron branding. It'll be 'guardians of the galaxy: escape on some bike's' or something else. The appeal of the Tron branding just isn't there in popular culture for them to go with it (even though I personally really like both movies).

My issue with the Tron coaster being duplicated from Shanghai, is the problem that they're currently experiencing with the restraints on FOP at Animal Kingdom. Average American body proportions are much larger than the Chinese counterpart and so they will have to build something with this in mind.
I'd love that coaster to come over to WDW (and I'm sure Disney would love to keep costs down by just duplicating it) but I'd hate for lots of folks to be disappointed that they cannot ride it.
Also, I don't believe that if it is the same coaster, that it will be with the Tron branding. It'll be 'guardians of the galaxy: escape on some bike's' or something else. The appeal of the Tron branding just isn't there in popular culture for them to go with it (even though I personally really like both movies).

It doesn't sound like TRON is destined for the Universe of Energy pavilion. GOTG appears to have that locked up at this stage.

TRON might still be in the cards for Tomorrowland, either as a direct clone of Shanghai's coaster or as some different ride concept using the IP.

So the Internet says it's site prep. For a new show building. That is possibly going to be built for a new Energy location attraction.

But that isn't finalized so they're just moving stuff around as prep.

Wow, so Disney is jumping ahead of potential construction? That's so un-Disneylike of them. me gusta

Yeah, because Disney would never do that. cough Pandora cough :rolleyes:

So.... if they are keeping the UOE building and adding to the back, would this be a total indoor experience?
Just wondering if this would be like space mountain with projections versus practical sets for the ride

Someone explain the logic of adding a Guardians ride to Epcot and how that fits at all...
Because... spaceeeeee.

It's science-y!

Frankly, I feel like Tron fits better. We already have a space ride in Future World. I wouldn't mind one based on computers, even if it's fictional. There could be interactive learning stuff in the queue and exit areas about how computers work or something. (Sponsored by Intel Inside, perfect!)

Then again, we already have a Tron-like ride in Future World too. So, no matter what, any reasoning on bringing a ride based on these properties will be tenuous at best.

Because... spaceeeeee.

It's science-y!

Frankly, I feel like Tron fits better. We already have a space ride in Future World. I wouldn't mind one based on computers, even if it's fictional. There could be interactive learning stuff in the queue and exit areas about how computers work or something. (Sponsored by Intel Inside, perfect!)

Then again, we already have a Tron-like ride in Future World too. So, no matter what, any reasoning on bringing a ride based on these properties will be tenuous at best.

Totally agree, although they both don't really fit to me, but I guess I'm just old. I mean, isn't it really odd that Disney converted Anaheim's ToT into Guardians and then may build a totally different Guardians ride here but not in Hollywood Studios? It makes zero sense.

Totally agree, although they both don't really fit to me, but I guess I'm just old. I mean, isn't it really odd that Disney converted Anaheim's ToT into Guardians and then may build a totally different Guardians ride here but not in Hollywood Studios? It makes zero sense.
No one will complain about losing Ellen's Energy disaster. We will riot if they mess with our ToT. It is the best one after all.

No one will complain about losing Ellen's Energy disaster. We will riot if they mess with our ToT. It is the best one after all.

There's no question Ellen's Energy Adventure is ridiculously out of date. In fact its datedness is the only thing I enjoy about it lol. But didn't people in Disneyland really love their ToT? Since when does Disney care what we think?

With Chapek in charge, it's all about merchandise sales. That's their logic.

So the merch wouldn't sell in Hollywood Studios? I don't dislike the idea, I'm just trying to understand the logic of it.

There's no question Ellen's Energy Adventure is ridiculously out of date. In fact its datedness is the only thing I enjoy about it lol. But didn't people in Disneyland really love their ToT? Since when does Disney care what we think?
Not as much as the world likes ours. Our Tower of Terror has the fourth dimension sequence... the part where the car actually travels forward. California's version had its budget cut and they left that part out. Theirs was always thought of as the lesser of the two American variations. If they rethemed ours there would be more of an outrage. Cause ours is better/more iconic.

GotG is based on futuristic ideas, I see no issue with it's placement here. I also don't think this part of Epcot needs to stay strictly to theme (like WS should be). I mean, test track is right next to Mission Space..
Yea, supposedly Imagineers have wanted to rename that half of the park from "Future" to "Discovery" for over a decade now. That would allow for adventure based attractions to fit in better.

Someone explain the logic of adding a Guardians ride to Epcot and how that fits at all...

There is no thematic logic. It doesn't fit at all!

GotG is based on futuristic ideas, I see no issue with it's placement here. I also don't think this part of Epcot needs to stay strictly to theme (like WS should be). I mean, test track is right next to Mission Space..

Future World is supposed to be comprised of attractions focused on the sciences and the natural world, and our place in exploring those ideas. "Edutainment" attractions. That notion has gradually been watered down a bit over the years, but there hasn't been anything on the level of the sort of thematic break GOTG would bring. With a great deal of certainty, I can say that we're not going to be learning or exploring any subjects of meaning on the ride. It may end up being a really fun thrill ride, but unless Disney really surprises me, it's not going to belong in Epcot.

Status
Not open for further replies.