The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 266 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yes but not everyone wants this. So what if bitchy parents complain about not gettin their pics with Hagrid and Dumbledore? What Jo cares about is the Potter fans.

A lot of people are Potter fans cause of the movies, and most kids that are fans would want to meet characters. If you don't think so go to Disney in the summer when its over an hour wait to see Mickey and the Princesses.

Theme parks are built to make money, not to satisfy the wants and wishes of a few diehard fans.

JKR should put her pride aside and realize something like this would add to the atmosphere, not dimish it. Otherwise, the coke thing is a little awkward too because I'm sure until Harry was 10 years old he drank coke cause he lived a muggle life.

Last edited:
Now, why there are beers amazes me, but there is lemonade, iced tea, and butterbeer. And I still stand by my no charaters standpoint.

--- Update ---

A lot of people are Potter fans cause of the movies, and most kids that are fans would want to meet characters. If you don't think so go to Disney in the summer when its over an hour wait to see Mickey and the Princesses.

Mickey and the princesses are much different than the HP universe. And, contrary to most peoples belief THERE ARE ADULT FANS!!!! And by "fans" I mean fans of the books not the movies.

Why would you want a look a like Harry Potter Dumbledore, etc

There is only one Harry Potter, Dumbledore (well two) etc...

The only Hermione I'd want to meet is Emma :drool5:

Now, why there are beers amazes me, but there is lemonade, iced tea, and butterbeer. And I still stand by my no charaters standpoint.

There is beer because there is a Hogs Head Pub, and they serve beer at Pubs, thats a known fact. The beers served in the pub though are all British and Scottish, nothing American, so they are keeping it to an English theme.

I can see how some people would be a little irritated by no photo ops. But for the Ollivander's, I'm glad only a certain amount of people will be allowed in at a time. How would you like to flag down a "wandkeeper" for ten minutes and have people pushing about you and hollering for lost kids when you're trying to "live" a moment from a movie. However, Universal has already stated you don't have to wait in line to get a wand, you can get them at the "retail" part of Ollivander's connected to D&B.

As for the whole soda thing, I LOVE soda. I'm a bit of an aficionado, in fact. However, I think it's kind of a sad day in America when people get upset because they have to walk an extra 100 feet to get a soda because the sugary lemonade, tea, cider and butterbeer aren't enough.

. But for the Ollivander's, I'm glad only a certain amount of people will be allowed in at a time. How would you like to flag down a "wandkeeper" for ten minutes and have people pushing about you and hollering for lost kids when you're trying to "live" a moment from a movie. However, Universal has already stated you don't have to wait in line to get a wand, you can get them at the "retail" part of Ollivander's connected to D&B.

As for the whole soda thing, I LOVE soda. I'm a bit of an aficionado, in fact. However, I think it's kind of a sad day in America when people get upset because they have to walk an extra 100 feet to get a soda because the sugary lemonade, tea, cider and butterbeer aren't enough.

Thank you.

Yes, but I'm sure not muggle brands.

Beer is beer regardless of how its produced, they never mention any beers in the book except for Butterbeer which I'm sure is alcoholic in the books.

Mickey and the princesses are much different than the HP universe. And, contrary to most peoples belief THERE ARE ADULT FANS!!!! And by "fans" I mean fans of the books not the movies.

I'm an adult fan and read all the books in a 2 month time frame and I remember all the books like I read them yesterday and I would want a picture with Hagrid and Dumbledore. Reading the books makes you feel like they are best friends and family and a picture with them I think would be cool.

--- Update ---

Not really, I've seen plenty of adults, teenager, elderly people wait in line for a picture with Mickey. The characters are universal. If Universal had a giant Dumble dore character walking around, would you honestly not want to take a picture next to him?

Im sorry but this seems like pointless defense of JK. She isn't god, so why does she feel the need to act like one. Sure she is the creator of the series, but she IS NOT a theme park manager, and has NO idea what people want and buy when they come to these parks. So calm down kids.

Having your picture taken with Mickey or a Disney princess is different. Those are animated characters and the costumes are easily replicated for real life. But to Potter fans, there is only one Hagrid, one Harry, etc. Having an American who "kind of sort of maybe if you squint real hard" looks like Hagrid meandering around Hogsmeade would just throw off the whole feeling of immersion and remind you that you're actually at a theme park and not in Harry's world. To me the idea of having actual characters other than generic townspeople just seems really tacky and I'm glad Rowling shut the idea down.

Reactions: Felipe
Nope, she decides what to do. It's final. Universal is not going to change what she herself wishes, okay? As much of a reasonable idea it is to have Coke and stuff in the Three Broomsticks, it's not going to happen. It just won't.

Not really, I've seen plenty of adults, teenager, elderly people wait in line for a picture with Mickey. The characters are universal. If Universal had a giant Dumble dore character walking around, would you honestly not want to take a picture next to him?

Im sorry but this seems like pointless defense of JK. She isn't god, so why does she feel the need to act like one. Sure she is the creator of the series, but she IS NOT a theme park manager, and has NO idea what people want and buy when they come to these parks. So calm down kids.

Wait, she isn't??
AND WHO ARE YOU CALLING KID!!!!JK.

I can see how some people would be a little irritated by no photo ops. But for the Ollivander's, I'm glad only a certain amount of people will be allowed in at a time. How would you like to flag down a "wandkeeper" for ten minutes and have people pushing about you and hollering for lost kids when you're trying to "live" a moment from a movie. However, Universal has already stated you don't have to wait in line to get a wand, you can get them at the "retail" part of Ollivander's connected to D&B.

OK one more reply about the soda thing and Im done....Imagine waiting in line for food at, can take upward to 30 mins on busy days. Getting up to the counter and being told. NOPE sorry if you want a Coke (something sold in every dining establishment in every country in the world practiacally) you have to walk outside (hope its not raining) and stand in ANOTHER line to buy a soda. Do you see why this is a problem. Millions of people drink soda with every meal. Im not one of those people, but trust me when I say the majority of these theme park people are.

--- Update ---

sorry for all the typos...have a good weekend everyone...

I don't care about the soda, I drink water anyways, and Beer :smiley:

The characters though is what I deem a little silly and over the top. In the books Dumbledore and Mcgonigal (sp?) both go into Hogsmeade for a pint, why wouldn't they in the park?

Because, no character would live up to peoples expectation. There is only one of each character and this isn't just a normal themed area this is an imersive enviorment made to make you feel like you are IN Hogsmeade.

On the soda subject YES it's very stupid on UO end but it wasn't up to them it was up to JK & JK is law when it comes to the area so UO just has to roll with it even if they don't like it.

Personally, I don't think this is a stupid move. While soda might be a high margin item and extremely profitable, you can only get so much revenue for a cup of soda (even at a themepark), and as a result, only so much profit. However, I imagine a glass of butterbeer, pumpkin juice or any other drink they're going to sell is going to cost quite a bit more than a soda. The food cost is undoubtedly higher, thus a lower margin (especially with the overhead they're going to have to build in for shrinkage on the butterbeer steins). However, I imagine they will end up with more profit $'s (just a lower proftit %) because of the higher revenue and the volume they will sell.

I saw someone make a comment that avg consumers might not be interested in the variosu specialty drinks that will be available. However, I disagree because the majority of people will want to be immersed in the WWoHP, which means trying things that might be out of the comfort zone. They'll want the full experience, especially with the knowledge that these drinks are only available in this one location, nowhere else in the world. Classic Supply and Demand.

What I find most fascinating about this is that Ms. Rowling has more pull than Coca-Cola. While Universal might be more than willing to keep Coke out of WWoHP at JKR's command, you can bet your bottom dollar Coca-Cola is NOT happy about it.

OK one more reply about the soda thing and Im done....Imagine waiting in line for food at, can take upward to 30 mins on busy days. Getting up to the counter and being told. NOPE sorry if you want a Coke (something sold in every dining establishment in every country in the world practiacally) you have to walk outside (hope its not raining) and stand in ANOTHER line to buy a soda. Do you see why this is a problem. Millions of people drink soda with every meal. Im not one of those people, but trust me when I say the majority of these theme park people are.

--- Update ---

sorry for all the typos...have a good weekend everyone...

Hey, I get it. I'm not dumb, I understand the situation. But it's not like they're saying "water, beer or butterbeer." There are a lot of sweet, thirst quenching drinks on that menu. Like I said, I AM one of those people that has sodas with most of my meals. Am I going to flip out at the counter for them not having it? Nope, I'll ask for an apple cider or lemonade and have a seat. People who do have a fit are probably similar to those that used to throw books at me at Borders because I wouldn't price match with Amazon. I'm pretty sure normal people might be a little irritated, but they'll get over it in a matter of minutes.

I also think that the HP characters won't be roaming around because of the level of authenticity they're trying to bring to this thing. Almost every major character will be included in the ride by the actors from the films. Imagine seeing DD in Musion in his office and then seeing someone dressed like him 5 minutes later outside played by someone different. I, myself, would LOVE to take pics with characters, but I understand the decision and think there is integrity in it.

Last edited: