The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 347 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I was wearing a dark brown shirt and, yes, I did talk to you because I remember you saying you were from Behind the Thrills. Oh, and no offense taken on the geek part. Actually, I've heard from those in the industry that the correct term is "foamers", as in foaming at the mouth.

I do remember you! Awesome! :D

Here's a pic of the WWOHP on the map since the other is a broken link.
2010-05-23%2012.08.04.jpg

For anyone in attendance today a couple of questions please.

1. Was the butter beer cart out
2. Were employees out in full uniform for training
3. Were there any crews (cleaning,painting,installation) seen working
4. Was FOTH running at all

Thanks!

Forbidden Journey Queue: Part 2

I apologize for not posting -- came down with a nasty flu (probably from the chilly weather in Hogsmeade) and couldn't do much, even type!

I'll try to avoid repetitiveness, as several people have already posted a good deal on this topic.

There is an Express queue, but it was closed -- I even asked if we could use it, but it was not open during the TM preview. The cast members there told us that it rejoined the main queue after the Greenhouse -- based on the space provided, it rejoins at Dumbledore's Office.

The order of the queue has already been laid out, so I'll hit some points of interest:

The Mirror of Erised: Nestled in the "dungeons" is the famous Mirror, but it was so short! I remember the prop in the film standing at least 7 feet tall, but the one used in the queue was only about 5-6 feet. Plus, the reflection was distorted or dirty -- probably because the magical effect demanded of the mirror is too complicated. But couldn't they pull an effect similar to the Haunted Mansion's "Hitch-hiking Ghost"? Just show the ride vehicle behind us, and that'll be true!

"Great Hall": I'm putting this in quotations, because it was more like the "Great Corridor", but based on the elements therein, I think it's the prior. Two statues (Gryffindor and Slytherin?) stand tall on the right, and in between them are the large glass cases that hold the house points. I imagined these being much larger, but maybe my height again is making things look tiny. This leads to the stairway that leads to Dumbledore's Office (in the movies, but the next room was...

"Portrait Rooms": There were two, actually. The moving portraits are AMAZING. I'm not going to speculate on the technology behind it, but I can say that there is a painting gloss over the screens or "pictures" that make the images appear oil-based and authentic. Very well done. The first two pictures are... about older wizards watching quidditch -- quite humorous! And then, in the next room, are... the Four Founders of Hogwarts. The actor playing Slytherin = perfect. Gryffindor reminds me of Poseidon at PF down the street, but he seems more appropriate as Gryffindor.

Then, we came to Dumbledore's Office. This room is worth staying in if the line is moving quickly. It's obvious that they use the same technology for Dumbledore that they do for Christopher Walken at "Disaster", but here it is executed flawlessly. His office is beautifully detailed and paying close attention will allow you to experience smaller touches, such as... books that magically shelve themselves. There is a massive fireplace and dozens more portraits of previous headmasters, and they are all dozing away (saving Universal the expense of more moving portraits).

Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom: Set up just like the film, the DADA classroom is worth checking out, especially the chalkboard and the sides of the room. You may notice little details, props, or suggestive items from the books and films. The film of Harry, Ron, and Hermione is executed well here too, but it's easier to critique the movements of three actors rather than one. The snow effect is funny for everyone -- except... the poor suckers right under it. The snow is really a hundred tiny globs of soap that will make you look like a melting snowman -- I know this because...well, it happened to someone else. Really.

The final approach to the loading area is a long corridor that contains three areas: The Fat Lady (hilarious, no need to say more); the Gryffindor Common Room, and the Sorting Hat. I will say, though, the next to the Fat Lady is a newspaper posting about Harry Potter's success at quidditch -- moving pictures and everything. The Common Room was a great touch and includes one of the better pre-flight videos I've seen. I really like that the FJ queue uses new characters in addition to those we know and love. This is the case here, with three characters who instruct you on how to use a flying bench. In the Common Room, note the immense tapestries on the wall -- if these weren't purchased just for the WWoHP, then their creation is worth admiring in themselves.

Finally, the Sorting Hat just gives safety information and common sense in enjoyable rhyming couplets. He sits inside a stone alcove (not a bench, like the films), and you can get excited when you see him, because you're almost there!

The Room of Requirement is not really a part of the queue -- it's the loading platform. And that is where I will shut up, because I don't want to speculate about anything I don't know about! Yes, the work lights were on, and No, I couldn't see anything worth noting (including ride vehicles). Such build up for so little pay-off!

I know a lot of what I've stated is simply "incredibly detailed, amazing, authentic" and so on. This is because the details are just that -- focused and unique, and posting all of them is impossible. You can look forward to finding them, appreciating them, and relating them to your own theme park or HP experiences.

---

ON WAND'S AND WANTING: I've been through the experience as an obvserver, and it was very cool to watch. But I just have to put this out there, and some people may not like it. But think about how things will be 15 minutes after the experience, for you and your family. Will you be closer? Further apart? Will it make your relationship stronger or weaker? In the end, you are doing something together and being in the wand shop itself is a great thing to share and get excited about. While there is a dollar value attached to everything, nothing can buy gratitude, and your kids should be thankful no matter what.

That being said, no more Ollivander's, and :focus:!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mantaguy
For anyone in attendance today a couple of questions please.

1. Was the butter beer cart out
2. Were employees out in full uniform for training
3. Were there any crews (cleaning,painting,installation) seen working
4. Was FOTH running at all

Thanks!

I assume you are referring to those of us who camped out today. To answer your questions:
1. Didn't see a butter beer cart.
2. We saw a couple fully clothed TMs go through gates. We also saw employees in white/grey polos and jeans (they staffed the gate all day).
3. No. We saw lots of security walking around, the rest we couldn't tell.
4. No. FOTH was not running. Dueling Dragons was though with a pretty short wait all day.

I assume you are referring to those of us who camped out today. To answer your questions:
1. Didn't see a butter beer cart.
2. We saw a couple fully clothed TMs go through gates. We also saw employees in white/grey polos and jeans (they staffed the gate all day).
3. No. We saw lots of security walking around, the rest we couldn't tell.
4. No. FOTH was not running. Dueling Dragons was though with a pretty short wait all day.

You have to stand on some rocks and look over the gate to see the cart. I did and everything is in place, not a hint of construction in Hogsmeade.

scroll back and read my wave... I only wave when someone is pretty much dead on...

Oh yeah, and welcome IzzyB! Izzy is a great example of how many people read this forum very very closely for a long long time before joining... I know, I was one of them.

Thank you! I came here just to see if anyone knew when softs were starting because my sister is coming down to visit us next week and wanted to see if going to Uni was worth it yet or if they should wait until next visit. Then I got addicted to it and stayed :)

Okay, I'm prepared to get flamed for my n00bish question, but this has been bothering me lately.

All this time I've been hearing people say Forbidden Journey is like Spider-Man the ride. Now I look at the screen caps posted and the cast of Harry Potter aren't wearing any 3d glasses on the ride. Is that because the 3d film isn't top-notch yet or because the ride isn't even in 3d? I'm sure the ride will still be good regardless, but what I want to ask is this: Is Forbidden Journey a 3D ride?

Okay, I'm prepared to get flamed for my n00bish question, but this has been bothering me lately.

All this time I've been hearing people say Forbidden Journey is like Spider-Man the ride. Now I look at the screen caps posted and the cast of Harry Potter aren't wearing any 3d glasses on the ride. Is that because the 3d film isn't top-notch yet or because the ride isn't even in 3d? I'm sure the ride will still be good regardless, but what I want to ask is this: Is Forbidden Journey a 3D ride?

Forbidden Jouney is not 3-D, however its domed screens are something like I-MAX.

I apologize for not posting -- came down with a nasty flu (probably from the chilly weather in Hogsmeade) and couldn't do much, even type!

This was very clarifying and up to date. Thanks for posting. So interesting that this is the way they handled it at load. And I was told that the lights in the distance are really the lights behind you, including the exit sign, meaning mirrored reflections. There is a mirror on the wall behind the load vehicles. SO... the load area and unload area are very very OPEN... and not cloistered. Fascinating and not quite what I expected.

Once again, for those wondering about when softs start, remember that they may not be for an entire day. They may last an hour, two hours or even just a few minutes. If you see "softs started today", that doesn't mean that they will be going on the next day. Also don't expect Universal to announce any date other than June 18. It is NOT going to be like Rockit which was proclaimed "Now Open" after just a few days of "softs".