The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 730 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Harry Potter will die down eventually. Which is why it makes sense. HP makes so much money right now. Imagine, if you will, it's died down to an extent. Families say "I'm not going to be heading back there for a while now". An expansion would make a return trip more worthwhile. And Sweeney, LC is NOT a people eater rotfl. It's ALWAYS dead aside from a few kids playing the carnival games and people looking in the shops. Mythos is an exception. And do you really think that Harry Potter has less potential than a generic myths and legends island...

Poseidon had a 60 minute wait yesterday.

Harry Potter will die down eventually. Which is why it makes sense. HP makes so much money right now. Imagine, if you will, it's died down to an extent. Families say "I'm not going to be heading back there for a while now". An expansion would make a return trip more worthwhile. And Sweeney, LC is NOT a people eater rotfl. It's ALWAYS dead aside from a few kids playing the carnival games and people looking in the shops. Mythos is an exception. And do you really think that Harry Potter has less potential than a generic myths and legends island...

I think you're missing what I'm saying. I'm not saying that the Lost Continent is a MASSIVE people eater, but I bet if you were at Islands on a heavily busy day, maybe such as today, I can guaruntee there is a plentiful amount of people there right now. Do you always choose to go on the busiest days over all? None of us do, when we can, we go on the days we know are at least not suicidal busy. When I go on empty days and busy days I see people wandering the shops and in line for Poseidon's Fury, and while it doesn't seem like much, the crowds in the other islands would be exponentially higher without it. If they closed the whole island to take the time to expand it to fill that much space, the lines for everything else would be much longer while it went on. I think Universal would take a piece of Lost Continent, but not the entire thing. They couldn't replace all of those attractions, shops, and eating establishments with Harry Potter without diminishing the quantity (and quality) of them and when the hype dies down (maybe many years from now) it'll just be another Lost Continent, but with less to offer in that section. I think in the long run, yeah the more generic and original island will have more potential. People will always be into mythology, but popular franchises die out eventually. Do you see what I'm saying?

Alright, so if Universal wasn't thinking about expanding the WWoHP, why would they put it in there survey? They are at least thinking about it, and I'm willing to bet LC will get the boot. Maybe not all of it, but most of it you mark my words. Harry Potter is a piece of literature that is quite timeless because it's message is relevant - bravery and love conquer all. Sure, will the massive fan bases die down? Probably. But Harry Potter will be just as recognized as Sinbad or Posiedon, because A. It's been marketed right, and B. No book has ever gotten as popular as Harry Potter did. J.K. Rowling was the first author to become a millionaire off of a book series. That tells you that Harry Potter will be popular if not always, for a very long time.

Really? Your clinging to a thread there. The arch looks like it fits Hogsmeade and the pictures I've seen don't look Arabian. It would not look out of place, don't waste your breath trying to convince me of that...

ww-arch.jpg

arch.gif

See the resemblence? That wasn't a coincidence.

I've seen Universal surveys with properties that couldn't possibly be used (Star Wars, Disney franchises, etc.). Are you saying Universal is SERIOUSLY looking at everything they survey? And saying that Harry Potter won't die down is like saying people would still flock somewhere to see a Pride and Prejudice experience as die-hard fans (and of course there are some, but not as many as in the early days). Okay, maybe the wrong example, but think of many older book franchises. The movies are done being made (for the most part), the books are pretty much done with. The hype will die a couple of years after the last movie, and a couple of years after the supposed expansion.

Another note about the popularity and money making ability of the Lost Continent, Mythos alone pumps in the cash day after day. The food is good, it's higher quality so it's higher priced, and people still flock to it making Universal a bunch of cash.

Alright, so if Universal wasn't thinking about expanding the WWoHP, why would they put it in there survey? They are at least thinking about it, and I'm willing to bet LC will get the boot. Maybe not all of it, but most of it you mark my words. Harry Potter is a piece of literature that is quite timeless because it's message is relevant - bravery and love conquer all. Sure, will the massive fan bases die down? Probably. But Harry Potter will be just as recognized as Sinbad or Posiedon, because A. It's been marketed right, and B. No book has ever gotten as popular as Harry Potter did. J.K. Rowling was the first author to become a millionaire off of a book series. That tells you that Harry Potter will be popular if not always, for a very long time.

Are you kidding? Mythology, namely The Odyssey and The Illiad, have lasted thousands of years and people still read them today. Nothing is more timeless and popular than ancient mythology.

Why do people always attempt to question the staying power of HP? They are proven wrong every time. People said it was a fad when it first got really big around 2000, that it would pass quickly, well here we are ten years later. People said there was no way all the movies would be made because it would die down - well look at that, all eight movies have been made and all are similar in gross. Then people said, once the final book is released, people will get bored. Umm looks like the franchise is still going strong to me.

We have right now, a legion of young people who grew up with these books, are major fans, and will be having kids of their own soon. When they get old enough they will share the series with their kids, who will go on to become huge fans. In the meantime there are still people of all ages discovering Harry Potter everyday, many of which will join the fandom.
The movies will be ending shortly, but JK will continue to write companion books (like the encyclopedia) if not another HP series. Another version of movies will probably be made in around 15-20 years, plus video games and any other media will continue to produce HP related products. It's not going away.

Are you kidding? Mythology, namely The Odyssey and The Illiad, have lasted thousands of years and people still read them today. Nothing is more timeless and popular than ancient mythology.

Go ask another kid in highschool (highschool is where your actually learning that curriculum)/middleschool about that and you tell me which one is more recognized. I understand that Greek Mythology is widely recognized today, but so is Potter. So popular in fact that it became the first childrens book (at first) to get on New York's best seller list since "Charlotte's Web". So popular that it was the first series to make an author a millionaire. It's based in part on mythology. And I remember going last winter (or the winter before, I forget), and granted IoA was still in the poor shape it had been in with the dropping numbers, but lines were all fairly long, all except the LC, which was, at the time, just about empty except for a few people. And once it lost the only rides it had, Dueling Dragons and the Flying Unicorn, it probably got even less attention. It just doesn't seem (to me), relevant anymore. I'm in honors English, and we studied a lot of Greek Mythology, etc last year, I know how lasting it is. But Potter at a theme park is like Spiderman. Mythology, well... Not so popular. Especially when having two very sub par attractions, and one (however excellent) restaurant.

I've seen Universal surveys with properties that couldn't possibly be used (Star Wars, Disney franchises, etc.). Are you saying Universal is SERIOUSLY looking at everything they survey? And saying that Harry Potter won't die down is like saying people would still flock somewhere to see a Pride and Prejudice experience as die-hard fans (and of course there are some, but not as many as in the early days). Okay, maybe the wrong example, but think of many older book franchises. The movies are done being made (for the most part), the books are pretty much done with. The hype will die a couple of years after the last movie, and a couple of years after the supposed expansion.

So why put out a survey? I can understand number surveys asking people if they know about that stuff, but let's not forget Disney recently bought Marvel out. They can't put out a ride HERE, however, they have already begun selling merchandise. Even if the FAN bases are gone, tourists visiting a park know about the classic stuff and old franchises and are like "Wow!!!". I remember going to see Terminator 2: 3D for the first time when I was about 8 or 9. I had never seen the movie, or anything like that, and I might have heard of it once or twice. But the idea of "Robots taking over, oh no!" was such a cliche and the way they presented it, I knew the basic storyline of the movie and I thoroughly enjoyed the attraction. Terminator was pretty big (okay, not as big as Potter, but you get my drift). Potter can, and will, stand the test of time. They wouldn't have gone this far if they didn't think so. And I'm thinking in terms of size as well as attraction wise. It will be relevant to an extent. However, as you said, the fan base and hype will die out. And then all that merch sale will go away. So what do you add to keep visitors coming? More than three (four if you count both dragons) rides. Shops, once Potter dies out, will not be considered attractions (aside from detail which is emaculate).

--- Update ---

ww-arch.jpg

arch.gif

See the resemblence? That wasn't a coincidence.

Yes but it still looks like a British archway and most people still think it's VERY jarring. The arch doesn't help at all and people wouldn't think about it even if the Arabian section was taken out.

Roxy: Yes, we've been proven wrong, but that was at the beginning of the franchise before it grew into what it is today. Now, the books are all written. The movies are almost all out. Once that's out, there won't be anything to report on and as people grow up, we grow out of Harry Potter. We were with Harry Potter from start to finish (some of us growing up on it), but the kids in five, ten years won't be nearly as into it because it won't be the big thing at the time. The older people who were around when it was big will continue to like it, but it won't be that big of a hype. When the final book was released, there were more movies to be made and seen. After that, there's nothing more to release or you risk ruining the franchise. I must disagree with you. I don't think JK Rowling will continue it, as she's more about the series than the money she's making. I honestly think this fad is done with (coming from a massive Harry Potter fan). And concerning growing up with it, kids will never be as into what their parents were growing up as much as the modern stuff and the media hype won't be surrounding them.

Frogki: I'll have you know I'm in high school, and have been extensively been studying greek mythology since sixth grade. I'm a junior currently. Children's Book should be the first thing to set off a flashing light in your head. The kids growing up in a few years won't be surrounded with Harry Potter in the media because the movies and books will be over with, and will grow out of it like many hyped childrens books. Part of the reason it stuck with us is because we've ridden along on the journey. Mythology appeals to people as they grow into adults and it sticks. Whole professions are made off of it's study, which is more than you can say for Harry Potter.

Surveys aren't always put out with exact ideas in mind. For example you might put Disney Princesses in the survey to find out that people are drawn to more pink, girly, princess-like things, not necessarily that they're going to buddy up with Disney and expand the park that way. They could just be seeing how people feel about an expansion period and you don't know how other people answered that survey. For all you know, everyone but you was against expanding into the Lost Continent.

Last edited:
Roxy: Yes, we've been proven wrong, but that was at the beginning of the franchise before it grew into what it is today. Now, the books are all written. The movies are almost all out. Once that's out, there won't be anything to report on and as people grow up, we grow out of Harry Potter. We were with Harry Potter from start to finish (some of us growing up on it), but the kids in five, ten years won't be nearly as into it because it won't be the big thing at the time. The older people who were around when it was big will continue to like it, but it won't be that big of a hype. When the final book was released, there were more movies to be made and seen. After that, there's nothing more to release or you risk ruining the franchise. I must disagree with you. I don't think JK Rowling will continue it, as she's more about the series than the money she's making. I honestly think this fad is done with (coming from a massive Harry Potter fan). And concerning growing up with it, kids will never be as into what their parents were growing up as much as the modern stuff and the media hype won't be surrounding them.

Frogki: I'll have you know I'm in high school, and have been extensively been studying greek mythology since sixth grade. I'm a junior currently. Children's Book should be the first thing to set off a flashing light in your head. The kids growing up in a few years won't be surrounded with Harry Potter in the media because the movies and books will be over with, and will grow out of it like many hyped childrens books. Part of the reason it stuck with us is because we've ridden along on the journey. Mythology appeals to people as they grow into adults and it sticks. Whole professions are made off of it's study, which is more than you can say for Harry Potter.

Surveys aren't always put out with exact ideas in mind. For example you might put Disney Princesses in the survey to find out that people are drawn to more pink, girly, princess-like things, not necessarily that they're going to buddy up with Disney and expand the park that way. They could just be seeing how people feel about an expansion period and you don't know how other people answered that survey. For all you know, everyone but you was against expanding into the Lost Continent.

Concerning the arches, I lived in the UK and have no idea what you're referring to. I've also studied British architecture. How familiar are you with British arches?

It wouldn't be about the money. I believe all (if not, most of) the money she makes now goes to assorted charities. She said in an interview at the White House that she MIGHT revisit it in the future. Notice she said might. She's done with the series as a whole at the moment. She does plan on releasing the encyclopedia.

I'll have you know I'm in middle school and I am studying it as well. I said middle school as well. I just pointed out it's more in the curriculum in highschool, seeing as I'm in advanced this year and we're doing more of the Shakespear stuff. And it's more than a kids book, you should know that. It started out as a kids book but by the third (maybe fourth) we see death (the movies were even more graphic) and all sorts of darkness, along with a little more of the romance that kids wouldn't get so much. Along with the message presented throughout the books that will always stick with a reader. Whether or not there will be an expansion probably shouldn't be the question, because as quoted in the Orlando Sentinel, they are planning additions. How big it will be can be debated until they announce whether or not there will be new rides or "Find Voldemort's horcruxes in the race against time to save the Wizarding World!" is the advertisement (minus the corniness and plus the detail). And I meant the way the arch looks. Tourists probably don't know (or care) that it looks like an arabian arch, because it's themed in Britain. It looks like what you might see leading into a small English village IMO. I have NOT studied it. But it's been themed so well that it looks like it belongs somewhere in Britain.

This argument's been dragged out far enough. Let's all stop and focus on the current, wonderful Wizarding World of Harry Potter...

Last edited:
Yes but it still looks like a British archway and most people still think it's VERY jarring. The arch doesn't help at all and people wouldn't think about it even if the Arabian section was taken out.

I agree that it wouldn't look completely out of place if the surrounding Arabian area was removed, but that is not a British style arch.

I agree that it wouldn't look completely out of place if the surrounding Arabian area was removed, but that is not a British style arch.

I know, I should have made myself more clear - the themeing makes it look right. The architectural styling is, as said, Arabian. But the actual decoration of it looks right. And I did not know that it was meant to be an Arabian Arch, and I would have bought it as a British arch. It wouldn't look out of place... And it wouldn't be necessary to change it.

...but that is not a British style arch.

Wrongy... That is an element of Gothic architecture which is prevalent throughout Hogwarts. As that arch delivers you first to the Hogwarts express and station (the station is more reminiscent of Hogwarts than Hogsmeade) it is quite British/Scottish. The Brits picked up Gothic from the French who in turn picked it up from Spain and the Moorish Style of architecture. You want Brit pointy arches, look to the two photos below... one from the park and the other from the films. Also read the short text of the explanation Here.

Hogwarts-Express1-300x225.jpg

2658.jpg

The Odyssey is so well known because teachers and schools make the students LEARN it against their will. Unlike harry potter books, kids read it because they want to. Trust me, reading Old English is the worst.

Last edited:
No. Islands of Adventure is Islands of Adventure. Not the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. WWoHP is a section of IOA. Sure, they're making a hell of a lot of money, but you've got to realize that it's only THIS popular, because it's never been done before. Harry Potter is one of the biggest franchises in the world, and when WWoHP opened up all of the fans AND non-fans were flocking to Orlando just to see it. Universal is not going to expand it any time soon, at all. There are rumors about everything in the world, and just because we're all obsessed with HP doesn't mean these rumors are possibly true. IOA values The Lost Continent as much as all the other lands in IOA. They are not going to get rid of it. Just because right now in front of your face it seems like The Lost Continent is ignored and by passed, doesn't mean it's true. You are not Universal OR the Tourists from all over the nation. They are the ones who determine what TLC's status is at the moment, and sure it's not as GREAT as Potter, but that doesn't mean it's going to be demolished to expand Potter. I can see a few small changes here and there inside of Potter, but they're not expanding it.

Right now, WWoHp is this crowded because it's new, it's the holidays, it's Harry Potter. There has never been a Phase 2 expansion on anything because of crowds, money, or popularity so why would they start now? They aren't. Once Potter's capacity dies down a bit, (which it may be 2 years or 22 years) it'll just be another part of IOA. Will there be small additions to say up to date with the HP7 movies? Probably. Will other things get slightly improved? Yes. Will there be a major Phase 2 expansion in the near future? Probably not.

:doh:

Reactions: mantaguy
No. Islands of Adventure is Islands of Adventure. Not the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. WWoHP is a section of IOA. Sure, they're making a hell of a lot of money, but you've got to realize that it's only THIS popular, because it's never been done before. Harry Potter is one of the biggest franchises in the world, and when WWoHP opened up all of the fans AND non-fans were flocking to Orlando just to see it. Universal is not going to expand it any time soon, at all. There are rumors about everything in the world, and just because we're all obsessed with HP doesn't mean these rumors are possibly true. IOA values The Lost Continent as much as all the other lands in IOA. They are not going to get rid of it. Just because right now in front of your face it seems like The Lost Continent is ignored and by passed, doesn't mean it's true. You are not Universal OR the Tourists from all over the nation. They are the ones who determine what TLC's status is at the moment, and sure it's not as GREAT as Potter, but that doesn't mean it's going to be demolished to expand Potter. I can see a few small changes here and there inside of Potter, but they're not expanding it.

Right now, WWoHp is this crowded because it's new, it's the holidays, it's Harry Potter. There has never been a Phase 2 expansion on anything because of crowds, money, or popularity so why would they start now? They aren't. Once Potter's capacity dies down a bit, (which it may be 2 years or 22 years) it'll just be another part of IOA. Will there be small additions to say up to date with the HP7 movies? Probably. Will other things get slightly improved? Yes. Will there be a major Phase 2 expansion in the near future?

It's highly unlikely. :doh:

It doesn't just seem like, everytime I've been there it IS ignored. It's nice break from the crowds actually. I never said there would be a major Phase 2 expansion, however, they WILL be having an addition and I wouldn't be surprised if LC was cut if not totally, than more than it was before...

"Although they won't discuss specific plans, Universal executives say additions to Wizarding World will happen at some point. The resort's licensing contract with Warner Bros. requires it to incorporate elements from the final Potter films, the last of which will open in theaters in July." From the Orlando Sentinel. As I said, I wouldn't be surprised at a moderate to major expansion. But you guys will be. It'll be funny if it does happen. So as of now, let's stop arguing over rumors and talk about the current WWoHP...

Last edited:
kind of random but I remember a long time ago, we were talking about that the astronomy tower doing something with its "lens". Does it do anything or do you guys just think that they ran out of money ????
imgres

Last edited:
The Odyssey is so well known because teachers and schools make the students LEARN it against their will. Unlike harry potter books, kids read it because they want to. Trust me, reading Old English is the worst.

Do you realize how many references to mythology there are in the HP series? There are more than I care to list. If it were not for mythology, HP would not exist, period. So, say thanks to mythology.

--- Update ---

kind of random but I remember a long time ago, we were talking about that the astronomy tower doing something with its "lens". Does it do anything or do you guys just think that they ran out of money ????
imgres

That was merely speculation I believe.