The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, apparently, but we don't know that 100%. Let's hope it'll be slightly different from the model. Or let's wait and see what Japan builds. So far it looksd like Japan's was a clone as well....

In essence, we're getting a 14+ year old ride. But I'm not complaining. It's one more ride! I just hoped it'd be longer and better to make up for no Dragon Challenge.

Yeah, apparently, but we don't know that 100%. Let's hope it'll be slightly different from the model. Or let's wait and see what Japan builds. So far it looksd like Japan's was a clone as well....

In essence, we're getting a 14+ year old ride. But I'm not complaining. It's one more ride! I just hoped it'd be longer and better to make up for no Dragon Challenge.
The fact that they're building an outdoor coaster at all is enough to get excited about, even if it is nestled snuggly between WaterWorld, Forbidden Journey and Shrek. I would have thought that extra room where the current entrance walkway to the Gibson was would have made for a nice addition to the track layout of Hippogriff. We'll see.

Reactions: Jon Fu
The fact that they're building an outdoor coaster at all is enough to get excited about, even if it is nestled snuggly between WaterWorld, Forbidden Journey and Shrek. I would have thought that extra room where the current entrance walkway to the Gibson was would have made for a nice addition to the track layout of Hippogriff. We'll see.
I agree. A coaster is still a coaster, and this will be the first open-air amusement-style ride in Hollywood. That in itself is a big feat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chris
Eh, I guess you could count that as a nice leap, but I'm referring to an actual roller coaster. I don't think a spinner was ever seen as an unlikely attraction within the context of Universal Studios Hollywood's existing roster.

I agree. A coaster is still a coaster, and this will be the first open-air amusement-style ride in Hollywood. That in itself is a big feat.
Oh, I'm not complaining! I'm very excited for Hippogriff! It's a big deal for USH imo! I just wish they took this opportunity to make it more unique or especially longer, since they're not stuck with just reskinning an existing ride like they did in Orlando ;) They have a chance to make it different compared to Orlando. That, and improving the Hippogriff experience by making it longer would be more beneficial here considering we won't have Dragon Challenge.

I have the same excitement over an open air coaster.  I was wondering if they would place sound guards on specific areas of the track to muzzle sound.  Then I thought, theme would be broken.  So I can imagine we will get an extra amount of trees surrounding Hippogriff to help naturally absorb sound.

They're going to need to anyways because it's going to look awkward seeing the back of the Citywalk buildings as a backdrop for Hippogriff. Hopefully the trees they install will be pretty mature already to cover the backstage areas.

You know HPWW at USH is going look hella better than IOA if only because of the hills in the background. I know you guys have wondered about the congestion this layout is going to cause. I wonder if they could ever move the studio tour entrance? 

Reactions: BruceTheShark
There aren't any hills that are significantly higher than USH if I'm not mistaken, so I doubt you'd see any of them from WWOHP. I know you can see them from other areas of the park, but I don't think you'll see any towering hills over Hogwarts.

And they've moved the entrance multiple times throughout the park's history, so it's not out of the question. But with the new Tour Sign, and the new tour bathroom, I doubt it'll be moved now.

You know HPWW at USH is going look hella better than IOA if only because of the hills in the background. I know you guys have wondered about the congestion this layout is going to cause. I wonder if they could ever move the studio tour entrance? 
It's strange now to look over the construction wall and just see the Citywalk buildings and the distant hills from the SF Valley. The hills in the background of these shots could probably be visible from WWOHP but won't tower over it to create the cool view your probably imagining. 

IMG_3994 by InsideUniversal.net, on Flickr

IMG_3970 by InsideUniversal.net, on Flickr

Reactions: BernardMesa
They're going to need to anyways because it's going to look awkward seeing the back of the Citywalk buildings as a backdrop for Hippogriff. Hopefully the trees they install will be pretty mature already to cover the backstage areas.
I find more interesting how they plan to cover the backstage area of Waterworld.  Hippogriff will get an easy view of Waterworld when you climb the height of the ride.  I don't think they will attempt to cover Citywalk as its far too large.  However, they now have a great place to post some large scale advertising on the IMAX building!

Reactions: BernardMesa
There aren't any hills that are significantly higher than USH if I'm not mistaken, so I doubt you'd see any of them from WWOHP. I know you can see them from other areas of the park, but I don't think you'll see any towering hills over Hogwarts.

And they've moved the entrance multiple times throughout the park's history, so it's not out of the question. But with the new Tour Sign, and the new tour bathroom, I doubt it'll be moved now.
Yeah you're right. Oh well. It will still be much better because it's in California since I'm not going to fly to Orlando any time soon. B)   I'll go to Osaka before I do that. 

Reactions: Allen The Actor
So I was watching old video from Universal today, and came across a news segment from when the Power Rangers actors came to Universal Studios in 94, it caused mayhem and completely gridlock on the freeways. Hopefully the new infrastructure can support the massive amount of people that will show up to WWoHP. But it's a nice blast from the past as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EuKoNjnzcQ

So I was watching old video from Universal today, and came across a news segment from when the Power Rangers actors came to Universal Studios in 94, it caused mayhem and completely gridlock on the freeways. Hopefully the new infrastructure can support the massive amount of people that will show up to WWoHP. But it's a nice blast from the past as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EuKoNjnzcQ
Thanks for the video really brought back memories. I was there a remember the hours of traffic. Power Rangers were a TV phanominon that might never be seen again.  

You have to wonder how they're going to incorporate the surrounding landscape. As Bruce posted, there are definitely some mountains that could intrude into the Harry Potter skyline. They'll probably encapsulate the entire land like they did in Islands of Adventure, but you have to wonder about the backside of the ride building and the Studio Tour...

I have no doubt you will see the back of the building from the tour loading area similar to the Amphitheater.  Only the northwest end of the building will have the rock face and castle on it.

From the guests point of view, you will not be able to see the mountains.  Picture this... you won't be able to see the castle from Universal Plaza either.  If you do, it will only be the very top of the castle.  Hogsmead surrounds Shrek 4D and the buildings are purposely tall to block view from outside.

Another concept to consider...  The Owlery and Ollivander's will be next to the Shrek 4D queue which should help obstruct much of the castle view from outside the Wizarding World.