Toothsome Chocolate Emporium | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Toothsome Chocolate Emporium

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Is anyone else not interested in eating a steak from a "chocolate factory"?

I'm sure the shakes and chocolate concoctions will be a hit, but I don't think this place will succeed as an actual restaurant. And for a place that will definitely attract kids, it doesn't seem very kid-friendly.

This gets a big 'eh' from me.

What makes something kid friendly? I think my daughter will love this place.

I'm sure the shakes and chocolate concoctions will be a hit, but I don't think this place will succeed as an actual restaurant. And for a place that will definitely attract kids, it doesn't seem very kid-friendly.

Cheesecake Factory has excellent steaks and pasta. And before they were discontinued, their ribs were probably the best I've ever had.

Reactions: jarmor and Eckert
Cheesecake Factory has excellent steaks and pasta. And before they were discontinued, their ribs were probably the best I've ever had.

I hate cheesecake with a passion (It's something me and my mother in law bond over) but I love the Cheesecake Factory.

Reactions: Quint

Cheesecake Factory serves more than cheesecake, Sugar Factory sells more than sugar. It's not all in the name.

I don't think Captain America is steampunk at all, so not sure how that would make sense.

I guess it depends on your definition of steampunk too...I think it works great as a design aesthetic and a "future from the turn of the 20th century" idea that I don't think has really been captured well in movies or TV shows actually, BUT Disney has done it well in the original Journey Into Imagination (Steampunk before Steampunk was a thing!) and the various Jules Verne inspired lands around the world

I thought parts of Cap were fairly dieselpunk, as filtered through a Marvel lens--comparable to Sky Captain and The Rocketeer. But for purer steampunk ... League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Wild Wild West, Brisco County Jr., The Golden Compass (another one where not really, but a lot of steampunk imagery in the ads). Never really caught on here outside of a couple video games.

Look, we all know kids love chocolate. That's not what I'm here to argue. I'm arguing that the impression that I get from this place is that there isn't going to really be anything for kids to do other than sit down and eat their dinner (or drink their chocolate bacon milkshake). I'm disappointed to see that with an idea as fantastical as a chocolate factory, all it seems we're getting is a sit down restaurant with a bar for the grown-ups.

CityWalk needs things to do other than eat and drink. It lacks unique stores that you're interested in exploring. I bet you only 30% of the people who walk into that hat store at Disney Springs leave with something. It's extremely difficult to kill time while you're waiting for a table at the Cowfish.

If we had an actual sort of "factory" type deal where visitors could take a tour and invent their own flavors of chocolate I would totally be sold.

Look, we all know kids love chocolate. That's not what I'm here to argue. I'm arguing that the impression that I get from this place is that there isn't going to really be anything for kids to do other than sit down and eat their dinner (or drink their chocolate bacon milkshake). I'm disappointed to see that with an idea as fantastical as a chocolate factory, all it seems we're getting is a sit down restaurant with a bar for the grown-ups.

CityWalk needs things to do other than eat and drink. It lacks unique stores that you're interested in exploring. I bet you only 30% of the people who walk into that hat store at Disney Springs leave with something. It's extremely difficult to kill time while you're waiting for a table at the Cowfish.

If we had an actual sort of "factory" type deal where visitors could take a tour and invent their own flavors of chocolate I would totally be sold.

First, it will have a shop/chocolate making demonstrations:

"You’ll even be able to watch chocolate creations being made—and purchase your very own from the restaurant’s retail shop to take home and enjoy."

Second, your post assumes that CityWalk is trying to be Disney Springs/DTD. It's not. Like it or not, CW is primarily there to serve the 5000+ resort rooms that are now 90% filled every day with dining, and to catch some off-site people on their way in/out of the resort.

Last edited:
Wow. This looks... amazing. :drool: The name is a bit odd, but not terrible.

First, it will have a shop/chocolate making demonstrations:

"You’ll even be able to watch chocolate creations being made—and purchase your very own from the restaurant’s retail shop to take home and enjoy."

Second, your post assumes that CityWalk is trying to be Disney Springs/DTD. It's not. Like it or not, CW is primarily there to serve the 5000+ resort guests with dining, and to catch some off-site people on their way in/out of the resort.
To be fair, they have a point that a better balance of shops would be nice while waiting for dinner tables and such. This actually might help since it has the shop and factory demonstrations, but more of other things would be nice too. I personally want a "Nintendo FL" store.

Reactions: Mike S
To be fair, they have a point that a better balance of shops would be nice while waiting for dinner tables and such. This actually might help since it has the shop and factory demonstrations, but more of other things would be nice too. I personally want a "Nintendo FL" store.

There's no where to put shops, unless they're going to evict people from the current ones. *shrug*

Honestly this really seems to strike a good balance of kid friendly and appealing to adults. It certainly looks like there will be some fantastical things for the kids (and adults) to see but yet still has a somewhat albeit steampunk sophistication that could appeal to adults. I would definitely choose this for a family spot over the NBC Sports Grill Brew.

Looks like an attempt to counter Sugar Factor (so far menu looks like a complete rip-off) and preempt The Edison in one fell swoop. Will all depend on the execution.

ETA: how is steampunk still a thing? Every steampunk/dieselpunk movie and TV show other than Captain America has underperformed. Such a niche thing, but here we have two competing Orlando tourist outlets ape that vibe.

Steampunk has it's roots in Verne and really has been prominent since its inception as speculative fiction until it became antiquated. Wild, Wild West (the series) was extremely popular back in the 50s/60s. Just because we didn't have a name for it until the 80s doesn't mean that's when it came into being.

Also, Captain America is not steampunk. Not even a little.

Reactions: Truecoat
Honestly this really seems to strike a good balance of kid friendly and appealing to adults. It certainly looks like there will be some fantastical things for the kids (and adults) to see but yet still has a somewhat albeit steampunk sophistication that could appeal to adults. I would definitely choose this for a family spot over the NBC Sports Grill Brew.

Agreed. I am not sure how anyone can't think this thing won't attract kids and adults. I think it will be a big hit for everyone.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I can't imagine there will be many parents visiting Universal that won't get begged by their children to take them to the Chocolate Factory, seems like a very good decision to me.

Reactions: Mad Dog