Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 123 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
but? DVC people don't get the 60 day fast pass window? I thought for some reason that only on site hotel guests got that.
I like fast pass in theory. I dislike knowing that Disney is manipulating my behavior. I have not experienced fast pass +, to be fair. I only experienced paper fast pass at Disneyland in the early years of it's use.
DVC does not get the 60-day window unless they booked a stay.

What is the point of this? To prevent more people from joining the stand by line so they can push more fast pass through?
Because if you put the wait time at 30 minutes for ASS mid-afternoon (for example), people are going to see that and go jump in line because it has a low-ish wait. That means that the wait time is no longer 30 minutes once all of those extra people join the line. It's better to promise crazytown lines and deliver better, rather than the opposite.

Also, it may just keep people off the rides altogether and spend money at the merch kiosks or at the food location.

I saw it plenty of times while at Disney last year, people come up to a ride see a really long wait time and wander off elsewhere, only the really dedicated people who want/have to ride will join the queue (or people who don't know any better)

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
I saw it plenty of times while at Disney last year, people come up to a ride see a really long wait time and wander off elsewhere, only the really dedicated people who want/have to ride will join the queue (or people who don't know any better)
But also knowing how many minutes of queue in certain areas helps. For example, any time that the SDMT queue is down to the covered portion, there's only roughly a 25-30 minute wait at most. Another example - if you can walk under the entrance sign for Slinky (the area where you would tap a magicband), you are waiting no more than 50 minutes. If the line is under the covered part of Slinky, the line is about 30 mins.

So being able to debunk the posted sign as BS helps too, but I wouldn't expect many non-locals to know those types of things.

The land looks neat. I never said it sucks, just poking at the crazy bias like a few others are. When folks are already saying how the budget went in to the lights, it sounds a lot like Pandora. And the whole "Pandora is amAAAAZing at night" propaganda that fell flat.

Everyone is expecting E tickets everywhere. DizNoids rip on Universal for opening F&F, an inexpensive ride clearly meant to capitalize on a franchise quickly. Now, Disney spent a fortune on a family coaster, and a spinner. They deserve to take flak for it. Disney has been adverizing the hell out of this land for months. Universal didn't advertise hardly at all.

Both attractions have a target audience that is probably happy to experience the rides. It's just Disney has the 40 year old women saying a small coaster is the greatest ride in the universe. They were probably the same people crying as they left Flight of Passage the first time.

It's clear that Disney will be defended to the end for anything they do by their rabid fanbase.
that bias goes both ways
me, i think both are great products
honestly go to magic plenty of people rip Disney there

When I went to Disney World last Jan, all the wait times at every park I visited were almost to the minute accurate. Some even took longer. Pirates was marked at 40, and took 50. Teacups were marked as 15 and took 25. Peter Pan was marked at 20 (at opening), and took about 35.

So they may inflate some wait times, but not all.

Reactions: twebber55
When I went to Disney World last Jan, all the wait times at every park I visited were almost to the minute accurate. Some even took longer. Pirates was marked at 40, and took 50. Teacups were marked as 15 and took 25. Peter Pan was marked at 20 (at opening), and took about 35.

That's why I think it's so sketchy. They're making their new rides look way more popular than they are.

"OMG the new Toy Story rides have 5 hour waits! They must be really good if people want to ride them that bad!"

That's why I think it's so sketchy. They're making their new rides look way more popular than they are.

"OMG the new Toy Story rides have 5 hour waits! They must be really good if people want to ride them that bad!"

See it has the complete opposite effect on me. I see "5 hour wait", and immediately cancel all travel plans.
We all knew it would be popular, it's opening weekend. Let's see how things are standing in a few months.

Reactions: twebber55

They inflate in the morning and at night attractions that are new and/or unreliable. It’s not always on purpose, wait times are not scientific and ops needs to learn the attraction.

but? DVC people don't get the 60 day fast pass window? I thought for some reason that only on site hotel guests got that.
I like fast pass in theory. I dislike knowing that Disney is manipulating my behavior. I have not experienced fast pass +, to be fair. I only experienced paper fast pass at Disneyland in the early years of it's use.
Dvc gets 90 days out for reservations.

I'm wondering if the wait times for SDD are based on a conservative throughput and include FP+ riders that may not actually be there? Could people with FP+ have seen the waits or got delayed entering the land and said the hell with this? I can't imagine it being that far off unless as someone suggested they are trying to inflate the popularity for social media, but then again that turns me off as well....

I can't imagine it being that far off unless as someone suggested they are trying to inflate the popularity for social media, but then again that turns me off as well...
My guess is it’s new so they probably haven’t gotten the wait times refined yet. It’s also just kind of basic preventative customer service to inflate them a bit so there aren’t complaints if it ends up being longer. Also once it gets into the 2 hour range it makes sense to pad it a little to take into account the possibility of weather delays.

Reactions: alomar
I'm wondering if the wait times for SDD are based on a conservative throughput and include FP+ riders that may not actually be there? Could people with FP+ have seen the waits or got delayed entering the land and said the hell with this? I can't imagine it being that far off unless as someone suggested they are trying to inflate the popularity for social media, but then again that turns me off as well....

My guess is it’s new so they probably haven’t gotten the wait times refined yet. It’s also just kind of basic preventative customer service to inflate them a bit so there aren’t complaints if it ends up being longer. Also once it gets into the 2 hour range it makes sense to pad it a little to take into account the possibility of weather delays.
To give a little more context to the wait time I reported vs. experienced -

It was roughly 9:40 when I got in line for my first ride. The fireworks started at 9:45 and i'm sure there was also a Fantamic! going on. The park closed at 10:30. So it makes sense why the actual wait time was low. About an hour beforehand, the line was stretched out towards the TSMM entrance, which I would guess was around 1.5-2 hour wait (was listed at 120 minutes then).

That's how I knew the 145 listed time was complete crap because we were able to just walk right into the queue. I imagine that they were trying to dissuade people from riding at that point because the issue is, if the line ever really does get to be 2 hours when the park is about to close, then the CMs are going to be there loading guests until 12:30 and then they have to get guests out of the park still after that.

So like I said about Saucers, if they were to list Slinky as say, a 40 minute wait at that time of the night, so many people would jump in line that it's no longer 40 minutes but probably well over an hour within minutes. As much as Disney loves money, at a certain point, everyone just wants to go home because most of them have to be in the next day. Universal does this too, especially at the end of the night on certain rides.

Reactions: jtsalien
I'll agree with those that have said the new TSMM exit is obnoxious and unnecessary. But overall I like the changes from the Pixar Place entrance. The land itself has lots of neat details and will be great to hang around many years in the future when it's not a headliner.

Timing didn't work out on trying either ride for us today. The line we saw was never near the front entrance, and that 40-60 minute window would be my limit right about now.

I'll agree with those that have said the new TSMM exit is obnoxious and unnecessary. But overall I like the changes from the Pixar Place entrance. The land itself has lots of neat details and will be great to hang around many years in the future when it's not a headliner.

Timing didn't work out on trying either ride for us today. The line we saw was never near the front entrance, and that 40-60 minute window would be my limit right about now.
I'm not sure how else they could've handled the TSMM exit given how everything is laid out. The only thing that comes to mind would be that they built a themed "bridge" over the queue to dump everyone into TSL instead of taking the long walk around. Think of Gringotts, Mummy, etc on how they have bridges crossing the track to get you out of the building.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how else they could've handled the TSMM exit given how everything is laid out. The only thing that comes to mind would be that they built a themed "bridge" over the queue to dump direction into TSL instead of taking the long walk around. Think of Gringotts, Mummy, etc on how they have bridges crossing the track to get you out of the building.

That's a fair point. But also a decent solution. They already have the bridges over the ride track in the queue.

Reactions: Nick
That's a fair point. But also a decent solution. They already have the bridges over the ride track in the queue.
I think most of the issue was the park was operating with only 4 rides and they did take this one down for a week or so, bringing the park to 3 rides at one point. They didn't really have enough time to keep this ride closed and build something like that for an exit.

I will say though, walking out of that TSMM queue really does take you out of the land's theming for a minute as you can hear the cars/trucks that are passing on the service road right next to you and in some instances even see through as the trees aren't mature enough yet.

I think most of the issue was the park was operating with only 4 rides and they did take this one down for a week or so, bringing the park to 3 rides at one point. They didn't really have enough time to keep this ride closed and build something like that for an exit.

I will say though, walking out of that TSMM queue really does take you out of the land's theming for a minute as you can hear the cars/trucks that are passing on the service road right next to you and in some instances even see through as the trees aren't mature enough yet.

No way that is the permanent exit. Just bad show for the rest of the year likely.