Universal’s Superstar Parade | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal’s Superstar Parade

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
OI is reporting that the Superstar Parade character breakfast is ending on Nov 11 to be replaced by a new experience in 2018. Will the parade end too?

Thinking about it, with DreamWorks back at Universal, Nintendo collaborating on future theme park elements, Illumination kicking a lot of gears, I actually wouldn't mind them doing a brand new family parade, especially with the expansion of the Parade Building giving more for possibly more floats.

That’s probably the easiest way to get some Dreamworks characters in the park quickly. Double the number of the parade floats/IPs, reduce the ancillary dancers, and take out the show stops? It could work. Madagascar, Trolls, HTTYD, and Kung Fu Panda all seem like shoe-ins, unless they have other franchises to promote. We at least know they have suits for those four franchises, and while they might not want to invest in rides for them (especially Madagascar, which seems wrapped up at this point), a parade float and soundtrack usage isn’t too wild of a prediction.

The mini-shows are far better than the parade itself. It’s a great photo op, too... and totally unlike the way Disney usually sticks desirable characters in parades only. Or maybe that’s not as much of an issue anymore?

Reactions: SeventyOne
That’s probably the easiest way to get some Dreamworks characters in the park quickly. Double the number of the parade floats/IPs, reduce the ancillary dancers, and take out the show stops? It could work. Madagascar, Trolls, HTTYD, and Kung Fu Panda all seem like shoe-ins, unless they have other franchises to promote. We at least know they have suits for those four franchises, and while they might not want to invest in rides for them (especially Madagascar, which seems wrapped up at this point), a parade float and soundtrack usage isn’t too wild of a prediction.

The mini-shows are far better than the parade itself. It’s a great photo op, too... and totally unlike the way Disney usually sticks desirable characters in parades only. Or maybe that’s not as much of an issue anymore?
Give me a Monsters, BTTF, JP, and ET float...Then I'll watch

They need a compelling musical score no matter what it is.

Music makes the modern theme park parade. Otherwise it's just floats - and without beads and doubloons like Mardi Gras and Gasparilla it's not very interesting.

Reactions: fryoj
Nighttime Entertainment and Parades were two glaring weaknesses at UOR where Disney was the clear winner.

If they can make cinematic improved and make a real parade- that will close the gap just a little more.

The traditional daytime parade simply blows; whereas the Macys Christmas Parade is absolutely fantastic - I personally prefer vs Disney’s.
So we know they have the capability to do it when they have the amount of performers and floats needed. Here’s hoping!

Reactions: Quint and Mad Dog
Nighttime Entertainment and Parades were two glaring weaknesses at UOR where Disney was the clear winner.

If they can make cinematic improved and make a real parade- that will close the gap just a little more.

The traditional daytime parade simply blows; whereas the Macys Christmas Parade is absolutely fantastic - I personally prefer vs Disney’s.
So we know they have the capability to do it when they have the amount of performers and floats needed. Here’s hoping!

Without a big Fireworks show, it's going to be hard to ever compete with Disney's nighttime shows. Not to mention that I don't know what they could do that would compete with Paint the Night.

Reactions: Joel
They need to contact the Japan entertainment team...

Parade with custom floats, original soundtrack, lots of interaction-

Killer night shows-

Hollywood Magic, during the parks first few years. Large lagoon stages & boats & specail FX with pyro

Peterpan's Neverland. HUGE production with flying characters hanging from cranes above the lagoon!

Can't leave out their AMAZING holiday show

Killer night shows-

Hollywood Magic, during the parks first few years. Large lagoon stages & boats & specail FX with pyro

Peterpan's Neverland. HUGE production with flying characters hanging from cranes above the lagoon!

Its all the same team now however Peter Pan was a contracted show Universal Studios Japan LLC bought for the park wasn't UC product. Nor have they done the lagoon show anymore. However at least they can bring the multiple different types of parades and unique street shows stateside

Last edited:
Its all the same team now however Peter Pan was a contracted show Universal Studios Japan LLC bought for the park wasn't UC product. Nor have they done the lagoon show anymore. However at least they can bring the multiple different types of parades and unique street shows stateside

Still better than the stuff we get. Reborn is fantastic, as well as their new Halloween parade. I pray that now since you say its the same team that the USJ team is taking over the state side team and not the other way around... night and day difference in the stuff they put out. Notice their parades all have custom soundtracks!

Still better than the stuff we get. Reborn is fantastic, as well as their new Halloween parade. I pray that now since you say its the same team that the USJ team is taking over the state side teams... night and day difference in the stuff they put out. Notice their parades all have custom soundtracks!

Its important to note that despite the same people are designing these products, there are other levels of management involved that greenlit and deny a project. Biggest issue with USJ is they have a lot of licenses that UOR doesn't have. In addition events such as the Water Parade at USJ can't come to the states due to the use of water guns, etc. Some of the shows are logistically harder to recreate stateside like the Christmas show. Lets not forget the Osaka Castle show UC created and developed for Japan thematically doesn't fit here as they is no Japanese castle to recreate the show as well as interest may not be present.

Its important to note that despite the same people are designing these products, there are other levels of management involved that greenlit and deny a project. Biggest issue with USJ is they have a lot of licenses that UOR doesn't have. In addition events such as the Water Parade at USJ can't come to the states due to the use of water guns, etc. Some of the shows are logistically harder to recreate stateside like the Christmas show. Lets not forget the Osaka Castle show UC created and developed for Japan thematically doesn't fit here as they is no Japanese castle to recreate the show as well as interest may not be present.

Pretty sure Steve Tatham runs entertainment at USJ. He puts out fantastic product. I'm also fairly certain that UC is different than the entertainment department. I'd be very shocked if the same people who designed the Reborn parade designed the Superstar parade... just can't see similar quality at all. Reborn is leaps and bounds better than Superstar.

Bottom line is Japan puts out far better entertainment than UO does.

Pretty sure Steve Tatham runs entertainment at USJ. He puts out fantastic product. I'm also fairly certain that UC is different than the entertainment department. I'd be very shocked if the same people who designed the Reborn parade designed the Superstar parade... just can't see similar quality at all. Reborn is leaps and bounds better than Superstar.

Bottom line is Japan puts out far better entertainment than UO does.

UC develops entertainment as well. A lot of the shows are all developed together hints why the Potter shows got transferred to other parks etc. At least thats how it was explained to me by some of buddies who were in the shows there.

Reactions: Jwhee

Killer night shows-

I just want their giant roof to be copied over to our parks.. I may actually go during the summer then

Gonna post part of the press release for Japan...since we got the new parade building and since UC is creating this parade I'm under the impression this also may come stateside

The impossible is made possible with perfect synchronization of projection mapping, which completely cover the surroundings, floats incorporating dynamic movements, high quality film lighting, sweeping cinematic score and performances by live entertainers through the use of “Show Orchestration,” an outstanding technology specially developed by Universal Creative.

Can someone look into what Show Orchestration means

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Gonna post part of the press release for Japan...since we got the new parade building and since UC is creating this parade I'm under the impression this also may come stateside

Can someone look into what Show Orchestration means

It just sounds like some sort of show control system. Disney made their own show control program for.. umm... whats that water show at DCA? I legit can’t remember it’s name.

It just sounds like some sort of show control system. Disney made their own show control program for.. umm... whats that water show at DCA? I legit can’t remember it’s name.

World of Color. But unlike World of Color, you are dealing with a transportative show, that seems like it will be going through a good portion of the Osaka park.

World of Color. But unlike World of Color, you are dealing with a transportative show, that seems like it will be going through a good portion of the Osaka park.

And Disney wouldn’t let them use their program to control the show audio as it travels. Hence, “show orchestration.”

“We wrote our own UNIVERSAL Time code ya’ll!”

Reactions: AlexanderMBush