Universal Lack of Announcements Thread | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Lack of Announcements Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I get all of this and I get how what I said may have come off as entitled. To be clear, I have stopped caring or expecting any announcement at all. It’ll all happen when it happens.

Haha. Like you, I've stopped caring too. Not sure that's what they wanted but oh well.

I honestly don't think Universal (or any company) minds leaks as long as the info is favorable. They're getting free publicity every time the bloggers (and then the media at large) run stories on new attractions. People are talking about the Potter Coaster and the JP coaster and they haven't had to spend a dime.

And, here in Orlando, theme park news is big news. Every time a blogger posts new info/artwork it gets picked up by the Sentinel and all the local news channels and spreads beyond.

Reactions: HPFred
I honestly don't think Universal (or any company) minds leaks as long as the info is favorable. They're getting free publicity every time the bloggers (and then the media at large) run stories on new attractions. People are talking about the Potter Coaster and the JP coaster and they haven't had to spend a dime.

And, here in Orlando, theme park news is big news. Every time a blogger posts new info/artwork it gets picked up by the Sentinel and all the local news channels and spreads beyond.

This goes against everything they’ve done. They’re not happy.

It’s a control issue, though. When bloggers are the ones releasing details then it’s the bloggers controlling the narrative, not Universal. More importantly - not Comcast.

Look at the “spike” discussion. The board went into a tizzy about the news that something they assumed was happening wasn’t. It didn’t matter when it was cut in the design process or why. People were angry about the loss of an idea where wires got crossed and things were presumed. Enclosing the spike was expected because that’s what was leaked months ago. If that was never leaked, we would have never known it was even a possibility.

Same with Nintendo in KidZone

Same with Scream.

Hell, same with Van Helsing.

Universal employees may not care about leaks - the organization cares about controlling information. In fact a few years ago they fired the guy who disclosed ticket prices to HHN rumors. When I chatted with my friend in Creative a few months back they were more interested in talking about how Universal was cracking down on leaks than the project they were working. And this was the person who told me about Galaxy’s Edge in 2010; not someone skittish about info.

Universal absolutely cares.

I don't think they care.

Is a lack of an announcement really going to stop you visiting the parks? Does not knowing the HP coaster name or details result in you not wanting to visit and ride it?

No.

If plans are already made at other parks & resorts? Then yes, especially if vacation days and vacation dollars are already accounted for. Neither are unlimited and this is where planning comes in to play.

If plans are already made at other parks & resorts? Then yes, especially if vacation days and vacation dollars are already accounted for. Neither are unlimited and this is where planning comes in to play.

That door swings both way. If you know the coaster opens in June and you've already planned a visit for May, you might not bother visiting. Plus if they announce a June opening and it gets delayed (It's Intamin which is more than likely) and you've booked your vacation because of the HP coaster and it's not open, you're going to be pissed off.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Real question. If they are that angry why is HHN completely leaked year after year?
Is it, though? Do we know for sure what is coming this year? Did we know last year? Or the year before? Some official stuff will get released a few days before it’s supposed to, but blogs and fans aren’t posting images of stuff they’ve been given - hard evidence of knowledge - months in advance. Everything with HHN is couched with a speculative air.

Last year, I literally could have posted house walk-throughs for 8 of the houses and detailed descriptions for scenes and backgrounds for 9 of them in APRIL. Those images are still on my phone (they’re actually what I used to “trade” for info on the Potter coaster). I knew event nights the second week of January. And here’s the thing: several other active posters on this board had the exact same information.

HHN isn’t leaked anywhere near the way it could be. Blogs, “insiders,” etc have been playing that specific game too long and know better. If a source gets fired, you lose the info. If you get trespassed, then your knowledge is useless. Those are things that happen.

It’s a control issue, though. When bloggers are the ones releasing details then it’s the bloggers controlling the narrative, not Universal.

Part of the issue, though, is that there is basically no narrative coming from Universal about a lot of these projects. You don't have to give away a ton of details, but I have to believe there are ways to keep the fanbase engaged in a way that would undercut the leaks (which there's a market for due to a general hunger for information) without endangering attendance in the short term (if that's truly their genuine concern).

Reactions: HPFred and therock
Part of the issue, though, is that there is basically no narrative coming from Universal about a lot of these projects. You don't have to give away a ton of details, but I have to believe there are ways to keep the fanbase engaged in a way that would undercut the leaks (which there's a market for due to a general hunger for information) without endangering attendance in the short term (if that's truly their genuine concern).

I've said this before, but they have no desire to "keep the fanbase engaged". They don't want a Disney-style fanbase.

The issue is not their problem though, it's the fans. As far as they are concerned, the business model has worked; and there is no evidence, from a business standpoint, that it's going to fail at this moment. No one has to like it, but at the end of the day - numbers don't lie.

I've said this before, but they have no desire to "keep the fanbase engaged". They don't want a Disney-style fanbase.

When I look at how most Disney fansites have the mentality that Legacy mentioned...multiplied ten-fold, it might be for the best. Like, there's plenty of legit complaints that can be made about Disney, but that debate about the spike is pretty much the norm on most of those sites.

Last edited:
Reactions: RevFreako
The issue is not their problem though, it's the fans. As far as they are concerned, the business model has worked; and there is no evidence, from a business standpoint, that it's going to fail at this moment. No one has to like it, but at the end of the day - numbers don't lie.

This is all fine, but if their attitude is "We don't want fans to get hyped for these attractions until we announce a specific opening date," they should be prepared for their longtime and loyal guests to look at other avenues to start building excitement.

I do also think it's kind of rich for them to be so (apparently) upset about leaks when they unofficially provide Robert Niles seemingly the complete plans for attractions like Gringotts years before they open, with the understanding that Niles will share that information publicly. That seems like an odd double standard -- "We'll give you basically a scene-by-scene rundown of attraction X years away, but attraction Y opening in a couple months? Yeah, we're not telling you anything and you shouldn't even be asking."

It's funny that so many articles love to point out, "well this is not how regional parks work!" when that's a bit of a stretch. Regional parks announce at the end of the season so guests have a reason to come back next year. It's essentially a model that Universal is just not seeming to follow for the moment, and when I say "moment", I say for this specific attraction, the Potter coaster.

I find myself nodding my head constantly to a lot of these pro-Universal arguments, but I just keep coming back to exactly what's going on right now: a Universal that's seemingly terrified of any promotion of this thing whatsoever. A lot of people can keep stammering, "trust us, they know what they're doing!"

But we don't. From the outset, it's baffling. And I feel like those in the know are a little less willing to give that perspective the benefit of the doubt? I know there's entitled whining and it's annoying, but I can't help but feel that yes, this is freaking weird and it's tiring. So whatever Universal is planning, I hope it goes well but for now please just release the info so this thread can just chill for a moment. :lol:

This is all fine, but if their attitude is "We don't want fans to get hyped for these attractions until we announce a specific opening date," they should be prepared for their longtime and loyal guests to look at other avenues to start building excitement.

I do also think it's kind of rich for them to be so (apparently) upset about leaks when they unofficially provide Robert Niles seemingly the complete plans for attractions like Gringotts years before they open, with the understanding that Niles will share that information publicly. That seems like an odd double standard -- "We'll give you basically a scene-by-scene rundown of attraction X years away, but attraction Y opening in a couple months? Yeah, we're not telling you anything and you shouldn't even be asking."

I'm not going pretend to know the relationship between Niles, TPI, and Universal; other than it's a good one. Still, regardless of the accuracy of why it was "leaked" - that's still Universal controlling the narrative.

My opinion, formed from following business news for a really long time, has always been that it's common for companies to release 'controlled' leaks on information or projects. The issue is that we'll probably never know what the 'controlled' leaks were or what the 'unauthorized' leaks were. One qualifying concept though is that if it's a major unauthorized leak, the company will send out cease and desist notices to any parties that they discover. If letters are not being sent out, or appropriate actions are not taken, that will sometimes indicate they wanted the information out there.