Universal Lack of Announcements Thread | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Lack of Announcements Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm really struggling to see what they could realistically say about the new park or why they would do so now.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but didn't they reveal of UOR's expansion, including the second park (not named Islands then I think) and resorts in 1993. They then held off on revealing details until a year or two before.

My guess, is they may be doing something to inform more of the surrounding area more..officially, to allow groups and companies to start planning ahead for the future.

That doesn't mean they have to be detailed, but that's a thought.

Reactions: tankart150
I'm sure I'm wrong, but didn't they reveal of UOR's expansion, including the second park (not named Islands then I think) and resorts in 1993. They then held off on revealing details until a year or two before.

My guess, is they may be doing something to inform more of the surrounding area more..officially, to allow groups and companies to start planning ahead for the future.

That doesn't mean they have to be detailed, but that's a thought.

I’m sure they did as well.

I mean, they also announced the new resort at this location before Islands opened.

I'm starting to think Orlando Rising is reading the discussions here. Another article from them on this topic:

Universal’s silence on coming attractions frustrates fans. Here’s why it makes sense - Orlando Rising
I understand Universal's position on marketing the new stuff. And it may be a 2 pronged strategy. By not formally announcing before it's time, they don't run the risk of postponed vacations. But, as an addendum, Universal may well be leaking info in the hope that it does hit the social media sites and create a buzz, without actually jeopardizing vacation reservations. And, one reason I think that may be occurring is that Universal legal has not been sending out cease and desist letters to the various bloggers who have been leaking info. In the past, Universal legal was quick to send C&D letters to sites like Orlando United (IU now) when Universal deemed their proprietary info was being released. The fact that it's not happening now 'possibly' tells me they want this info out there, just not in an 'official' capacity.

I understand Universal's position on marketing the new stuff. And it may be a 2 pronged strategy. By not formally announcing before it's time, they don't run the risk of postponed vacations. But, as an addendum, Universal may well be leaking info in the hope that it does hit the social media sites and create a buzz, without actually jeopardizing vacation reservations. And, one reason I think that may be occurring is that Universal legal has not been sending out cease and desist letters to the various bloggers who have been leaking info. In the past, Universal legal was quick to send C&D letters to sites like Orlando United (IU now) when Universal deemed their proprietary info was being released. The fact that it's not happening now 'possibly' tells me they want this info out there, just not in an 'official' capacity.

It could be that not as much information is being leaked and the people digging for information are satisfied with what they're getting.

I think Universal is probably leading the way in gorilla social media. CBBR is the most instagram'd hotel in the world, look down Diagon Alley and every person has their phone pointed up waiting for the dragon to breath a fireball. Leaking information out there costs them virtually nothing and when you have people like @Alicia and @RollermanDan who are likeable and have developed their own following, it's a huge win.

Plus, it's easy market research. Somebody has a crazy idea? Leak it out and see what the feedback is.

Perhaps they feel that people that are already visiting see construction and go "oooh something new" and want to come back....Personally, I think Universal is taking for granted how in the dark and misinformed the GP can be

Like I said a while back, Universal still thinks of itself as a scheduled trip (i.e. people just don't "come anyway")....Where as Disney knows that people are going to keep coming regardless

I think, for Universal, that way of thinking needs to change

Universal is NOT happy with the leaks though.

We can assume it’s the result of some clever, alternative promotional campaign, but every source I have has commented on how nervous they are about getting caught.
Maybe Universal should release something, ANYTHING then. When you have a bunch of people starved for information regarding certain projects, eventually things are going to leak. Not condoning it, but it's just a reality.

I mean they haven't given us any concept art or a name for Potter and haven't officially announced Bourne as the IP yet. If they would just do the bare minimum they wouldn't have to deal with leaks (although i'm sure they're more frustrated with the Fantastic Worlds leaks than anything).

Maybe Universal should release something, ANYTHING then. When you have a bunch of people starved for information regarding certain projects, eventually things are going to leak. Not condoning it, but it's just a reality.

I mean they haven't given us any concept art or a name for Potter and haven't officially announced Bourne as the IP yet. If they would just do the bare minimum they wouldn't have to deal with leaks (although i'm sure they're more frustrated with the Fantastic Worlds leaks than anything).
Exactly. How you going to be mad when you give 0 info on a ride that’s 5 months to opening of your largest IP.

Exactly. How you going to be mad when you give 0 info on a ride that’s 5 months to opening of your largest IP.
Easy. It’s their resort, their process, their timelines, and their rules. They spend years and millions developing these things, including information release strategies, and leaks invalidate swaths of that.

The argument that, “They haven’t released anything, so what do they expect,” reeks of (yes) entitlement. It comes from fans’ belief that, because they’re fans, they deserve to know EVERYTHING that’s going on. And I get that. When a bunch of money is spent supporting something, a sense of ownership develops. But it’s just a sense. It’s not reality. We have no direct say in things - especially marketing/advertising strategies.

I recognize there’s some irony in my stance here. I get information I shouldn’t be privy to. I have pictures that cannot go public and can get people fired. I don’t share them:

1) Because I want to protect my sources. have gotten people fired because I shared info I shouldn’t have, and have seen it happen with others.

2) I don’t want to piss off Universal. They know who I am. I know they know. I hint and drop tidbits because there can be some plausible deniability. I’m not really violating Universal’s plans.

When I say they’re not happy, I mean it. They required ALL of Creative to received training on the legal ramifications of leaks. I know they’re using different code names to track leaks from different sections. Because I’ve seen the different codenames.

It’s Universal’s playground. They’re Universal’s rules. Don’t be surprised the corporation gets sore when those are broken.

Easy. It’s their resort, their process, their timelines, and their rules. They spend years and millions developing these things, including information release strategies, and leaks invalidate swaths of that.

The argument that, “They haven’t released anything, so what do they expect,” reeks of (yes) entitlement. It comes from fans’ belief that, because they’re fans, they deserve to know EVERYTHING that’s going on. And I get that. When a bunch of money is spent supporting something, a sense of ownership develops. But it’s just a sense. It’s not reality. We have no direct say in things - especially marketing/advertising strategies.

I recognize there’s some irony in my stance here. I get information I shouldn’t be privy to. I have pictures that cannot go public and can get people fired. I don’t share them:

1) Because I want to protect my sources. have gotten people fired because I shared info I shouldn’t have, and have seen it happen with others.

2) I don’t want to piss off Universal. They know who I am. I know they know. I hint and drop tidbits because there can be some plausible deniability. I’m not really violating Universal’s plans.

When I say they’re not happy, I mean it. They required ALL of Creative to received training on the legal ramifications of leaks. I know they’re using different code names to track leaks from different sections. Because I’ve seen the different codenames.

It’s Universal’s playground. They’re Universal’s rules. Don’t be surprised the corporation gets sore when those are broken.
I get all of this and I get how what I said may have come off as entitled. To be clear, I have stopped caring or expecting any announcement at all. It’ll all happen when it happens.

My point was that there’s a large fan community that is begging for even the tiniest bit of official info on a ride opening in just a few months. To have concept art leak is not a surprise to me given how long it’s taking Universal to say anything. That’s all I meant.

I think most of the insiders here are pretty careful about not just dropping big things without an ok.