Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 296 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At a glance, I just see two new ponds and an explanation of how they will interconnect with the larger existing pond. Not sure what will happen to the larger pond down the line. It also shows how the large pond connects to one of the mini creeks.

Every modern park needs a water feature.

I'd think the second pdf would have that info, as it has a section on things that were never completed from the previous plans. I'm not seeing anything, but stormwater really is not my expertise. But on my read, It's either already cleaned up, or falls under a different agency and would not be mentioned here.
It was long before the stormwater permit was issued. The cleanup put the various areas contaminated with TCE (Tricloroethylene) soils into a lined pit onsite from what I could gather on the superfund website. It seemed to show that pit over by the lake but I am working from a few year old memory. I will have to dig around in the next few days to see if I can find the maps again. It's not like it is nuclear waste but it is a known carcinogen that was used to wash circuit boards and may have some lead in the waste.

There’s a lot of other general analysis of the water and soil quantity levels and location. The project is basically for a storm water management system for whatever eventually comes to the property. That’s pretty much it. They’ll submit more permits for pavement closer to construction time.

The permits state that this is intended as a temporary configuration until they complete a full master plan for the site. So basically we shouldn't read into this too much regarding what they are planning to build.

There's two main things I'm seeing in a quick glance.

First is either the removal or redesigning of the big retention pond in the middle. They are creating two new ponds to the Northwest, one of which appears to sit in the path of the Mandarin extension ROW. Not sure the significance of that. It looks like they might be planning on putting the road between the ponds, but too hard to tell from this.

Second is a clear distinction between the East and West parts of the property. This only covers the West. Not sure why they want to keep them separate, unless its for Hotel/Park or park/park purposes.

Nowhere in the plans did I see any reference to theme park. As close as they get to calling it that is entertainment use.

The pond does indeed sit on top of the Mandarin extension route. It would make sense for universal to try and force the road farther to the north between the ponds, but they might also just move the pond again. This permit also doesn't include any plans to remove or significantly redesign the large pond in the middle, the goal is likely just adding drainage capacity for the new warehouse area.

I think the division between east and west goes back to when universal originally owned the land and was trying to set up water management plans for the long term. Now realizing this, I would guess that this area(the west) was where they wanted to build the first park, with parking to the south and hotels to the west. The area to the east of this plot is a perfect size to fit the second theme park.

Reactions: zg44 and fryoj

A few things:

1.) The Legend of Zelda, as of now, has been seemingly speculated/rumored to be replacing Lost Continent at Islands.

2.) The Ministry of Magic, is not exclusively from the Fantastic Beasts series, and plays a larger role in the later half of the main Potter story. It has been rumored very much though to be replacing Fear Factor Live at Universal Studios Florida for a few years.

I think there may be some hidden meanings into what D&M is saying, but a lot of it seems to be not lining up with what some here on IU and Magic are referring too.

What I'm curious, is Project 314, as I am looking through @NJBrandon and his endless tweets of permit filings, and can't find anything pertaining to it (Also trying to look it up myself via by the City of Orlando's permit searchings).

EDIT: Upon further reading into the article, it seems whoever the source was, didn't really seem to specify what was what, and that the writer of the article may of thought that the entire things that he was talking about was about the Fourth Gate, and not having it boiled down to be classified in the respected areas.

Last edited:
What I'm curious, is Project 314, as I am looking through @NJBrandon and his endless tweets of permit filings, and can't find anything pertaining to it (Also trying to look it up myself via by the City of Orlando's permit searchings).

Permitting for the new park won't show up on the City of Orlando website. The new park is located in unincorporated Orange County. Also, it's still too early to be seeing any permits with the new park's project number on it.

If not for the project number, the article reads like somebody skimmed this board and didn't really read in depth.

I'd say low chance of all 3 of Nintendo's big properties in "314"(I really just want a name for the new area we all can agree on).

Ministry of Magic is n0t a FB term at all. In FB it's MacUSA. Doesn't mean it won't show up in future films, but it didn't in the first film. The only reason I could see them putting the MoM in 314 is if they are concerned with FB as a draw and feel the need to put something HP there to draw those crowds. IF that is the case, it could explain why FFL is still there after all the we heard happened prior to HHN. If we see the actual MoM in FB2, and theres new elements that would adapt well to a theme park, then I'd say this is more likely. Gives them a FB tie in that will be more likely to draw the HP crowd as well.

Reactions: Scott W.
Also, the DC coaster replacement is definitely not indoors, so I'm calling a honking load of BS on this one

Yeah lets quote that bit...

Talking about Harry Potter, don't go away as he also told me interesting infos about the new Harry Potter coaster coming at Islands of Adventure Wizarding World: “The new Harry Potter ride will be an indoor coaster and the rumor that it'll be located outside is not true as they can’t do it due to the weather and also because the indoor coaster will have projections and dark lighting for the forbidden forest, so that’s why it won’t work outside". Well, may be a part of it will be outdoor, we'll see...

I'm calling 110% bull.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m with the article until the Jurassic World stuff. That seems redundant, and it’s a stretch to envision the way they’d operate two Jurassic lands at the same time (it’s a big franchise, true, but marketing the two as distinctly different would be a challenge).

But the project number and Nintendo stuff make total sense to me. I’d rather see Illumination take over KidZone (SLOP in the Animal Actors plot, DMM replacing Barney, rethemed rest of the area to Minions, keep ET with a new entrance). And “Little Europe” (Classic Monsters) take over the FF/MIB waterfront and fix the KidZone dead end past the Sprung tents, but.. anyway.

This reads like it is high school kids talking and dreaming. Not to put down anyone's writing style (mine is very pedantic) but it reads that way to me. This is the first I have heard of D&M but that means nothing, does anyone know who this is and what type of record they have?

As far as the project number, I can buy that is it and might guess at a reason for it. It may be a play on the public saying this is not the 4th gate but the 3rd hence 314. Kind of a way to say "whatev"
All speculation at this point, it will be years til this gets built and open.

This reads like it is high school kids talking and dreaming. Not to put down anyone's writing style (mine is very pedantic) but it reads that way to me. This is the first I have heard of D&M but that means nothing, does anyone know who this is and what type of record they have?

As far as the project number, I can buy that is it and might guess at a reason for it. It may be a play on the public saying this is not the 4th gate but the 3rd hence 314. Kind of a way to say "whatev"
All speculation at this point, it will be years til this gets built and open.

D&M used to be relatively good, but I legitimately haven't heard anything from them in a long, long time. Keep in mind they are (or at least were) a French site, so the poorer writing quality may be due to translation.

I don't think any of this is legit though

Reactions: JoeCamel
If the Potter coaster was all indoors, we would be seeing the footings for the building. So the "entirely indoors" talk is wrong (however it could be that you spend more time indoors than outdoors as the faster parts will be outdoors).

The article starts off ok but then quickly tails off.

I’m noticing a big push in advertising for Universal this year in the U.K. Disney doesn’t seem to be doing much at all but they can always piggyback off each other’s advertisements.

If the Potter coaster was all indoors, we would be seeing the footings for the building. So the "entirely indoors" talk is wrong (however it could be that you spend more time indoors than outdoors as the faster parts will be outdoors).
You most certainly will still spend more time outdoors than indoors, even with the faster bits being outside. Even if it was 50/50 on time spent inside/outside (which I doubt,) that's still nowhere near "entirely indoors" like they're reporting.

Sounds like somewhere they got their wires crossed on this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts