Universal's 6th Hotel Rumors & Speculation | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's 6th Hotel Rumors & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's just me, but staying at the Portofino is seeming less and less appealing since it's becoming so far away from the other hotels/stuff to do.

Anyone else think this way, or am I missing the point?
Nope. One of the appealing factors for Portofino for me has always been that it's in it's own little almost isolated world, but still close enough, via water taxi, to get everywhere else.

Reactions: Brownie54 and UNIrd
I didn't realise how much room there is. If they went for something the size of the Double Tree across from the entrance, there would be plenty of room left for parking and the tram route.

ju2zglc.jpg

That hotel has 748 rooms.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I think a Spanish theme could go a long way there. Coronado Springs is one of my favorite hotels at Disney, actually. I just love the rooms.

I think it's more likely to go into the area where the construction trailers are for Sapphire and the retention ponds will stay where they are.

Reactions: Joel
I think it's more likely to go into the area where the construction trailers are for Sapphire and the retention ponds will stay where they are.

I think that would make most sense connection wise. If it goes into where the swamp is, the only road going by it is the off ramp from I4.

I'm sure I read some where that if a swamp is filled on property, that a swamp of equal size needs to be relocated to somewhere else on site?

I think that would make most sense connection wise. If it goes into where the swamp is, the only road going by it is the off ramp from I4.

I'm sure I read some where that if a swamp is filled on property, that a swamp of equal size needs to be relocated to somewhere else on site?
Well, they did extend the waterway for the water taxi.

Reactions: Scott W.

I have always been under the impression that all of Universal's retention ponds are interconnected. Still, they do need some place additional to put the water. Some of you will look at me funny, but I have always wanted to have a tour and explanation of Universal's water management. I once told this to one of my crane friends and his reaction was mystified and perplexed at why I would care.

:saywhat:

Well, they did extend the waterway for the water taxi.
That's a good spot. I'm hoping for an update to the maps soon so I can get a better idea of what's possible. If they could extend the waterway to the lake where the trams are going, this would be ideal for all hotel guests going to VB.

I have always been under the impression that all of Universal's retention ponds are interconnected. Still, they do need some place additional to put the water. Some of you will look at me funny, but I have always wanted to have a tour and explanation of Universal's water management. I once told this to one of my crane friends and his reaction was mystified and perplexed at why I would care.

:saywhat:

I could believe. I read this though and the first thing I think now is alligators.

That's a good spot. I'm hoping for an update to the maps soon so I can get a better idea of what's possible. If they could extend the waterway to the lake where the trams are going, this would be ideal for all hotel guests going to VB.

I could believe. I read this though and the first thing I think now is alligators.
Usually small retention ponds dont have GATORS. But its not entirely out of the question. Bigger retention ponds however, different story.

Reactions: Scott W.
Usually small retention ponds dont have GATORS. But its not entirely out of the question. Bigger retention ponds however, different story.

That's good to know.
BTW, just so you newer people know, crane was a term I used six years ago for a source. I just thought it made a better story. ;)

I'll be honest, I thought you were just into cranes like you are with trees and plants.

Not true. Both of the neighborhoods I have lived in down here in Florida have had gators in the smaller and bigger ponds. We had one removed in my old neighborhood and that pond was pretty small.

Not true. Both of the neighborhoods I have lived in down here in Florida have had gators in the smaller and bigger ponds. We had one removed in my old neighborhood and that pond was pretty small.
Small and big ponds are subjective in size. But usually commercially built small retention ponds have fences and they don't have gators. The ones in neighborhoods that are just in the open or on the brinks of a swamp and or lake do have the possibility .
I did not absolutely say they didn't. Geesh.

Small and big ponds are subjective in size. But usually commercially built small retention ponds have fences and they don't have gators. The ones in neighborhoods that are just in the open or on the brinks of a swamp and or lake do have the possibility .
I did not absolutely say they didn't. Geesh.

Funny story, my old manager lived by a pond that was chain linked fenced all the way around. He said in mating season he watched the gators climb the fence to get in and out. He was not from Florida and it shocked him. Lol

I just didn't want people thinking small ponds meant no gators. I like the rule if you see water in Florida there is a gator in there. Better to be safe than sorry.

Reactions: traveller
Funny story, my old manager lived by a pond that was chain linked fenced all the way around. He said in mating season he watched the gators climb the fence to get in and out. He was not from Florida and it shocked him. Lol

I just didn't want people thinking small ponds meant no gators. I like the rule if you see water in Florida there is a gator in there. Better to be safe than sorry.
Which is true. Gators can climb, and jump pretty well. They Also can accelerate in brief spurts. This is why I said "Generally". You and I both know a gator can be in any body of water in Florida no matter what fenced or not. But Typically retention ponds don't hold the right around of water year long like gators like for gators to be there consistently. When I think retention pond, I think "Only Fills When Rains a lot. Thus water retention via storm drain and or a localized flood. I have about 3 streams in Orlando where I live that are only filled during summer months due to rain or heavy winter rain. other than that they dry p and you can pretty much walk in them. The other type of retention ponds specified as detention ponds are the ones I was referring too, for short term water displacement. But anyway I think the users get the idea gators can be in any water in florida.

I don't know if it's just me, but staying at the Portofino is seeming less and less appealing since it's becoming so far away from the other hotels/stuff to do.

Anyone else think this way, or am I missing the point?
To me, Portofino is similar to (but far superior than) WDW Resorts in that it's secluded and very expansive. You can also still get anywhere you want on property via the water taxi pretty much. Want to go to CBBR? Take water taxi to Sapphire Falls and then walk. I'm sure there'll be a shuttle bus for Volcano Bay too.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.