Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 127 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dragons and medieval like age setting make for a strong interest, older children and adults alike. Think of the allure and success of Game of Thrones and Hobbit/Rings. It's not so much the HTTYD movie. It's that very similar genre. The land will be quite successful. It really won't matter much if people have seen the movie or not. It's just a great theme to throw out there.

Dragons and medieval like age setting make for a strong interest, older children and adults alike. Think of the allure and success of Game of Thrones and Hobbit/Rings. It's not so much the HTTYD movie. It's that very similar genre. The land will be quite successful. It really won't matter much if people have seen the movie or not. It's just a great theme to throw out there.
My comment was fully satire, as I think HTTYD is beyond perfect for a theme park land.

A park is never complete, even the perfect park can go and change and become even better (or worse).

Think that’s what makes them so great, always something new.
Agreed. I feel that USF is a much better park today than when it opened. But having said that I would not trade my experiences of that initial opening. I am glad I got to see all iterations of USF. From Jaws and BTTF, to Potter and Simpsons. I am glad to see that Universal is thinking ahead and allowing room to grow so they can keep the Phase 1 opening lands of Epic intact that much longer. Imagine in 10-15 years a fully developed Epic with 6-7 total lands with expanded areas added to the original four.

They do have room for expansion, mind you. So it isn’t “complete” per say.
Sure? But it's fair to judge what's on offer on opening day. A park doesn't get extra points just because someday something else really good might get added. You evaluate what the company puts in front of you.

But I'm really talking about the whole conception of the land's rides as a series of training exercises instead of experiences letting guests actually interact with or ride "real" dragons. I question the design aesthetics of a coaster with lots of undisguised supports running throughout this fantastical medieval Scandinavia. And I'm skeptical that the show (which I have every confidence will be fairly good, based on the version that has opened overseas) will truly fill the role of the land's de facto E-ticket.

That's not to say that anything will be bad, either. They're just things that seem somewhat counterintuitive to me (at this unfinished point, 20ish months before any of us will actually be walking around in the land for ourselves).

I feel that USF is a much better park today than when it opened.
I could not disagree more strongly, but that's a conversation for a different thread!

I could not disagree more strongly, but that's a conversation for a different thread!
Really wish we still had that “state of USF” thread around, was a great place to talk about this type of stuff. Interesting how what should be Universal’s headliner park ala Magic Kingdom is easily their most controversial. I could see both sides of the coin on whether it got better or worse.

Really wish we still had that “state of USF” thread around, was a great place to talk about this type of stuff. Interesting how what should be Universal’s headliner park ala Magic Kingdom is easily their most controversial. I could see both sides of the coin on whether it got better or worse.
In my opinion, Diagon Alley/HE/Gringotts is soooo impressive that it's presence alone makes it a better park than the original. BUT, the remainder of the park, mostly because it's so one dimensional, though different attractions from earlier, is just a toss up.

Sure? But it's fair to judge what's on offer on opening day. A park doesn't get extra points just because someday something else really good might get added. You evaluate what the company puts in front of you.

But I'm really talking about the whole conception of the land's rides as a series of training exercises instead of experiences letting guests actually interact with or ride "real" dragons. I question the design aesthetics of a coaster with lots of undisguised supports running throughout this fantastical medieval Scandinavia. And I'm skeptical that the show (which I have every confidence will be fairly good, based on the version that has opened overseas) will truly fill the role of the land's de facto E-ticket.

That's not to say that anything will be bad, either. They're just things that seem somewhat counterintuitive to me (at this unfinished point, 20ish months before any of us will actually be walking around in the land for ourselves).

Get where you’re coming from Bell. The training situation may just be a concept or rumor right now if that helps. There’s a chance that the in park story is more akin to what you’re asking for. The good thing is, either way, it seems like this land is going to be filled with dragons.

I honestly am beginning to think it’s less about training, and more about what Hiccup has built in Berk post the end of the films, and we’re simply visitors. Less story, more “just have fun in this world” vibes from me. Since we’re visiting it’s fair they aren’t letting us ride their dragons literally but are still giving us the full Berk experience.

I honestly am beginning to think it’s less about training, and more about what Hiccup has built in Berk post the end of the films, and we’re simply visitors. Less story, more “just have fun in this world” vibes from me. Since we’re visiting it’s fair they aren’t letting us ride their dragons literally but are still giving us the full Berk experience.
That’s where I am too.

I think that's arguably a distinction without a real difference, though.

It's still going to be a land of proxies for the thing (I would think) most guests who've watched and enjoyed the HTTYD movies would want to experience.

Again, the land may well be great. It just seems odd to me!

So the only way to make a ride that simulates flying on a dragon is a motion simulator... do we really need more of those?
This park isn't USF, oversaturated with simulators/simulator-y stuff (as far as we can tell). Epic could certainly handle a single (well-done) simulator.

I think that's arguably a distinction without a real difference, though.

It's still going to be a land of proxies for the thing (I would think) most guests who've watched and enjoyed the HTTYD movies would want to experience.

Again, the land may well be great. It just seems odd to me!

This park isn't USF, oversaturated with simulators/simulator-y stuff (as far as we can tell). Epic could certainly handle a single (well-done) simulator.
Well it could work because Hiccup builds a lot of things, so this could all be his doing. I know not everything is “Disney vs Universal”, but the comparisons to Flight of Passage would be unbearable lol. I have to imagine that’s part of the consideration as they need something very unique.

Reactions: Nico
Considering there aren't really going to be any at EU, I don't think it would be a bad add down the line. People like them.
If they can get rid of some of the ones at USF, sure, but even then it'll pretty much seen copy of Flight of Passage with a different story.

I just think the days of Universal plopping you in front of a screen for 4.5 minutes are in the past. They need to move on from that.

Reactions: Nico