Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 129 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The Haddock Paddock.
If Tintin isn't there I'd be disappointed.
Captain_Haddock.png

When folks imagine a HTTYD land, the two ride types that seem the most logical are a flying theater for dragon-riding and a water dark ride/ flume. EU isn’t getting either. To a considerable extent that’s fine - Uni’s designers are a lot more creatively adept then the run-of-the-mill guest, but there’s a danger to trying to “outsmart” the public. It’s ok to give guests what they want sometimes.

As for the training element, that’s always a disastrous choice for theme. It removes any interesting narrative arc and saps a great deal of excitement from the ride. As evidence, I’d point to one of the worst major theme park attractions in the country, Mission Space, and one of the worst lands, Avengers Campus. Now, I fully expect HTTYD to be a LOT better than either of those. It will look great and be a very appealing place simply to wander around and spend time. But I believe the attraction lineup will be an issue.

Reactions: grlhowl
As for the training element, that’s always a disastrous choice for theme. It removes any interesting narrative arc and saps a great deal of excitement from the ride. As evidence, I’d point to one of the worst major theme park attractions in the country, Mission Space, and one of the worst lands, Avengers Campus. Now, I fully expect HTTYD to be a LOT better than either of those. It will look great and be a very appealing place simply to wander around and spend time. But I believe the attraction lineup will be an issue.
Honestly thinking now that the actual theme of the land is more like "Welcome to Berk, a fun place for people and dragons alike."

So I was thinking about all the categories of "rides" in a theme park. Let me know if I miss any. The reason this popped into my brain was I was wondering if we will see any "new" types of rides or just variations/combinations on the ones listed below.

Coasters (Obvious)
Water Rides (Flumes, River Rapids, etc.)
Flat Rides (Carousels, Swing Rides, Drop Rides, etc)
Dark Rides (Haunted Mansion, E.T.)
Simulators (Back to the Future, Simpsons, Flight of Passage)
Target Shooters (Men in Black, Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin)
Kuka Arm/Screen Based (Forbidden Journey)

So I was thinking about all the categories of "rides" in a theme park. Let me know if I miss any. The reason this popped into my brain was I was wondering if we will see any "new" types of rides or just variations/combinations on the ones listed below.

Coasters (Obvious)
Water Rides (Flumes, River Rapids, etc.)
Flat Rides (Carousels, Swing Rides, Drop Rides, etc)
Dark Rides (Haunted Mansion, E.T.)
Simulators (Back to the Future, Simpsons, Flight of Passage)
Target Shooters (Men in Black, Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin)
Kuka Arm/Screen Based (Forbidden Journey)
The general term "dark ride" still encompasses 99% of target shooters and Kuka arm/screen based rides.

The general term "dark ride" still encompasses 99% of target shooters and Kuka arm/screen based rides.
I know, but there are strictly dark rides and then there are dark rides with extra features. I didn't want to lump all "dark rides" together just because they are indoors and on a track.

Technically Men in Black is a dark ride. But it's also more than just a dark ride.

When folks imagine a HTTYD land, the two ride types that seem the most logical are a flying theater for dragon-riding and a water dark ride/ flume. EU isn’t getting either. To a considerable extent that’s fine - Uni’s designers are a lot more creatively adept then the run-of-the-mill guest, but there’s a danger to trying to “outsmart” the public. It’s ok to give guests what they want sometimes.
The flying theater thing is great in theory, but it's slow loading and unless you build 3-4 theaters (which take up a lot of space) you won't have the capacity needed, plus you have the "it's a copy of Disney's Avatar!"

Flumes are something that parks are all getting rid of. They need restraints (which is difficult on a water ride) to keep riders from venturing out of their boats and meet insurance safety standards, and they require more staffing which can prove problematic for many reasons. Yes, they could build a rapids ride, but same issues and it would be the FOURTH in the Orlando market. I'm also not sure how a flume or a rapids ties into HTTYD either any more than what they are building does.

The flying theater thing is great in theory, but it's slow loading and unless you build 3-4 theaters (which take up a lot of space) you won't have the capacity needed, plus you have the "it's a copy of Disney's Avatar!"

Flumes are something that parks are all getting rid of. They need restraints (which is difficult on a water ride) to keep riders from venturing out of their boats and meet insurance safety standards, and they require more staffing which can prove problematic for many reasons. Yes, they could build a rapids ride, but same issues and it would be the FOURTH in the Orlando market. I'm also not sure how a flume or a rapids ties into HTTYD either any more than what they are building does.
I also like the fact that the three major Universal water attractions are right next to each other (JPRA, Dudley, Popeye). Two of those get you extremely wet, so when on vacation we'll generally dress for the water rides and do all three in a row. After we're done we'll go back to the hotel and change clothes to come back to the park, or we'll hit the hotel pool. So, I'm comfortable with all the resort's water rides being in the same park, rather then scattered in Studios and/or Epic. Makes it really easy to do the rides and enjoy them.

Me looking at Disneysea adding 4 boat rides to their lineup for spring 2024....

Diversity of attractions is needed so I think having one flume ride won't hurt especially since the park is in hot florida.

Diversity of attractions is needed so I think having one flume ride won't hurt especially since the park is in hot florida.
The Japanese don't randomly get out of their boats and wander around in the scenery like Americans do for social media challenges. You can have multiples of the same ride systems as long as the actual rides offer something different. A rapids ride is a rapids ride.

If my understanding is correct, only 2 of the 4 Fantasy Springs attractions are boat rides.

Sometimes you have to out think - to quote Henry Ford "If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse" :D

Also HTTYD is getting a water flume ride that will get you very wet.
It's not a flume ride. Its a splash-boat ride (no up or down, just shooting water at other boats)

So, now the Mardi Gras info is out (minus concerts of course), I'm thinking the new year starts off the revving up of the EU publicity...

Reactions: GA-MBIT