Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 197 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this delay - however long it is - will actually be worth it. We’ll get to fully flesh out the current parks hopefully and avoid making the tragic mistake of basing a land on Fantastic Beasts.

Literally no one has ever given a crap about the franchise and the movies are sub-par/bad. It’s amazing that they thought it was a good idea to base a land on that franchise.

I agree that the resort on the whole will be more balanced this way. You weren't looking at a major addition for what, 15+ years at USF? Since Diagon you've had things on the range of total flops to moderate hits. But nothing on the level of Hagrid's or what the Jurassic Coaster appears to be.

This will make the never ending Star Wars comparisons more interesting as well. If you had told Disney the box office and reception of the new trilogy as whole, would they have built the Galaxy's Edge we got? The more time we get to see Fantastic Beasts, the obvious it is that it won't be as timeless...imo.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I agree that the resort on the whole will be more balanced this way. You weren't looking at a major addition for what, 15+ years at USF? Since Diagon you've had things on the range of total flops to moderate hits. But nothing on the level of Hagrid's or what the Jurassic Coaster appears to be.

This will make the never ending Star Wars comparisons more interesting as well. If you had told Disney the box office and reception of the new trilogy as whole, would they have built the Galaxy's Edge we got? The more time we get to see Fantastic Beasts, the obvious it is that it won't be as timeless...imo.
Well, the box office was great for the entire trilogy, so not sure what you're getting at there, and TLJ was arguably one of the best Star Wars movies ever made (but we won't get into that argument). It really doesn't matter much as most of SWGE is fairly timeless. RotR is clearly set in the new trilogy, but it's the best ride, so it'll always get a pass on that alone. The rest of the land can be fixed with minor tweaks here or there and it won't need to focus on the new trilogy so much.

Well, the box office was great for the entire trilogy, so not sure what you're getting at there, and TLJ was arguably one of the best Star Wars movies ever made (but we won't get into that argument). It really doesn't matter much as most of SWGE is fairly timeless. RotR is clearly set in the new trilogy, but it's the best ride, so it'll always get a pass on that alone. The rest of the land can be fixed with minor tweaks hear or there and it won't need to focus on the new trilogy so much.

I'd argue that $900-$600-$500 million (ish domestically, didn't look up the real numbers) isn't "great" for such a strong brand with such a strong first film. The point being the optisim for the the trilogy after TFA vs how there's rumors of it being wiped off the map now couldn't be more disperate views. In the same way the pretty sizable drop in box office from FB1 to Crimes is probably alarming, setting aside whatever hit JK will cause for the OG materials.

Given time and perspective, I would think Uni would want to focus on classic Potter. But will WB? Thats the question.

Reactions: Mike S
^ You people piqued my interest in where the franchise is at. The 3rd FB is still in preproduction and isn’t it telling that Steve Kloves has been brought on as a writer. I suppose that WB is contractually obligated to continue with it? I wonder if Universal is contract-obligated to build the land; if a commitment was signed?

Last edited:
I'd argue that $900-$600-$500 million (ish domestically, didn't look up the real numbers) isn't "great" for such a strong brand with such a strong first film. The point being the optisim for the the trilogy after TFA vs how there's rumors of it being wiped off the map now couldn't be more disperate views. In the same way the pretty sizable drop in box office from FB1 to Crimes is probably alarming, setting aside whatever hit JK will cause for the OG materials.

Given time and perspective, I would think Uni would want to focus on classic Potter. But will WB? Thats the question.
Don’t forget merchandising.
b7e99e7bd0b63ca812a054849b9332ef.jpg

The Sequels went below expectations there too with toy companies coming out and saying as much.

To reiterate, EU is not cancelled, it is indefinitely paused - and I mean paused. No plans are being altered at this time to bring any of the EU lands/attractions over to the original parks. Universal plans on riding this wave out until its no longer feasible. Unfortunately, I'd expect more cutbacks to happen (reduced hours, more temporary attraction closures, layoffs/furloughs) before a final decision is made on EU.

I'm not saying don't discuss anything because things are changing daily and I'm not trying to halt conversations.

Personally, if anything were to get moved, I'd wager Potter plans to USF around FFL.

To reiterate, EU is not cancelled, it is indefinitely paused - and I mean paused. No plans are being altered at this time to bring any of the EU lands/attractions over to the original parks. Universal plans on riding this wave out until its no longer feasible. Unfortunately, I'd expect more cutbacks to happen (reduced hours, more temporary attraction closures, layoffs/furloughs) before a final decision is made on EU.

I'm not saying don't discuss anything because things are changing daily and I'm not trying to halt conversations.

Personally, if anything were to get moved, I'd wager Potter plans to USF around FFL.
Thank you... cancelled means the land is gone and there will be two parks forever.

As long as they have the real estate to build a third park, and as long as Orlando is a viable tourist destination as it has been since the 80s, cancelled isn’t the correct term to use.

Reactions: Grabnar

They can close F&F first if they want to save costs. No one will miss it.

Reactions: Magic-Man

Best timeline: USF gets SNW and the main Potter E-ticket, then EU gets Pokemon, Zelda, and LOTR to replace the two lost lands.

TFA made over $2B WW
TLJ made $1.33B WW
TROS made $1.074B WW

Yes, there is a $1B dip between TFA and TROS, which i'm sure is way more than Disney would've wanted. But all 3 movies in total made roughly $4.5B at the box office. Strip away your fanboy hat for just a second and put on an analytical one - this was solid business whether you like the films or not. And none of that is even counting Blu-Ray/VOD sales, Toy Sales, etc. These films practically paid for the entire Lucasfilm acquisition alone. Also, if you want to talk about the brand being strong, all you have to do is look at Rogue One. A spin-off Prequel film with all new characters that all die and it still made $1.056B WW. The success of The Mandalorian also shows the brand is extremely strong. People clearly didn't like the new trilogy on the whole, but they do like things that remind them of classic star wars, like Rogue One and The Mandalorian.

Just imagine if the whole trilogy was cohesive how much they could've made if they are generally disliked and still made $4.5B. Fantastic Beasts could make all 5 films they originally planned on for the franchise and still not make $4.5B WW based on the most recent film only bringing in about $650M. And generally films make less and less as a franchise goes on, especially if the public is disinterested. Does that show the Potter brand is weak? No. It shows Fantastic Beasts is a terrible franchise.

I still don't understand all the "Fantastic Beasts is terrible, therefore a land shouldn't be based around it" talk. Both Pandora and Cars Land are the most popular sections of their respective parks and have proven that execution of the attractions count far more than any lackluster source material.

I still don't understand all the "Fantastic Beasts is terrible, therefore a land shouldn't be based around it" talk. Both Pandora and Cars Land are the most popular sections of their respective parks and have proven that execution of the attractions count far more than any lackluster source material.
There's more proof that Cars and Fantastic Beasts sucks than Avatar, to be fair. We're still waiting on several sequels. For all we know, they could be good. Of course, no matter what, the land already exists so that's a mute point. And you make a good point about Cars, as those moovies suck, but I think the difference is the sole reason for the land was that back in the day, Cars merch flew off the shelves (and for all I know, still does). Obviously they'd have wands to sell, but I just don't think that people have literally any connection to this franchise. Avatar changed the movie industry entirely after it came out because of the reception it had to the 3D visuals and held the Worldwide box office record for a decade.

I just don't think FB is really remembered for much as it currently stands. I'll admit a MoM ride would probably be cool, but i'd rather it be connected to London than a part of FB. This franchise has little to no longevity imo.

TFA made over $2B WW
TLJ made $1.33B WW
TROS made $1.074B WW

Yes, there is a $1B dip between TFA and TROS, which i'm sure is way more than Disney would've wanted. But all 3 movies in total made roughly $4.5B at the box office. Strip away your fanboy hat for just a second and put on an analytical one - this was solid business whether you like the films or not. And none of that is even counting Blu-Ray/VOD sales, Toy Sales, etc. These films practically paid for the entire Lucasfilm acquisition alone. Also, if you want to talk about the brand being strong, all you have to do is look at Rogue One. A spin-off Prequel film with all new characters that all die and it still made $1.056B WW. The success of The Mandalorian also shows the brand is extremely strong. People clearly didn't like the new trilogy on the whole, but they do like things that remind them of classic star wars, like Rogue One and The Mandalorian.

Just imagine if the whole trilogy was cohesive how much they could've made if they are generally disliked and still made $4.5B. Fantastic Beasts could make all 5 films they originally planned on for the franchise and still not make $4.5B WW based on the most recent film only bringing in about $650M. And generally films make less and less as a franchise goes on, especially if the public is disinterested. Does that show the Potter brand is weak? No. It shows Fantastic Beasts is a terrible franchise.
Actually, they didn’t. You have to take into account the cost to make and market them and the cut to theaters. Disney has not made their money back yet.

Reactions: jtsalien

Obviously I don’t not beleive you, my only thing is what is their plan to bring people back to the parks? Just add more Potter? They gotta diversity, I think if all they do is add the Ministry ride then I’d be disappointed. Can’t imagine the Ministry and SNW costs are so vastly different that SNW can’t be done.

More Potter before anything else post JW re-do is disappointing. Universal can’t become “The Potter resort” if they want to compete and expand further. They must prove they can do things to Potter level with other properties. Adding Potter after SNW? Sure I guess, but first, feels meh and a boring choice to me no matter how amazing the ride is.

TFA made over $2B WW
TLJ made $1.33B WW
TROS made $1.074B WW

I guess my point isn't clear. I think the Star Wars brand is extremely strong. That's why I think the new trilogy has to be considered underwhelming as a whole. From a business perspective, are the returns in box office and merch more like Marvel or DC? Obviously the films made money and I'm not foolish enough to call it a failure or say it's killed Star Wars. But given the overall lukewarm reaction the full new trilogy, vs how the more classic leaning Mandalorian was a resounding success... I can't help but think there's a little regret in shifting from the classic leaning focus and may be considered a mistake long term.

So in the same way, I think it's unnecessary to focus on a weaker part of your IP (in this case FB) just because it's newer. Will Potter fans love it regardless? Absolutely. Look no further than Cursed Child. People loathed the script, but actually going and seeing it makes all the difference. Actually living the Potter magic will cure a lot of problems. But it's hard not to hope the perspective and time changes things a bit.

I think if all they do is add the Ministry ride then I’d be disappointed.
What if it were already in the plan to be added before SNW in the first place?

Can’t imagine the Ministry and SNW costs are so vastly different that SNW can’t be done.
I would think one ride would be a fraction of an entire land. But that's just me

More Potter before anything else post JW re-do is disappointing.
Are you forgetting that the PEOPLE want more potter, they want as much potter as the resort can handle.

Universal can’t become “The Potter resort” if they want to compete and expand further.
It kinda has already. I see more robes while walking around than I see regular clothes at any given time.

They must prove they can do things to Potter level with other properties.
They have though. Kong, SNW, the new jurassic coaster. . .

Adding Potter after SNW? Sure I guess, but first, feels meh and a boring choice to me no matter how amazing the ride is.
If it feels a boring choice no matter how amazing the ride then I guess it shouldn't matter which order it comes in?

What if it were already in the plan to be added before SNW in the first place?

I would think one ride would be a fraction of an entire land. But that's just me

Are you forgetting that the PEOPLE want more potter, they want as much potter as the resort can handle.

It kinda has already. I see more robes while walking around than I see regular clothes at any given time.

They have though. Kong, SNW, the new jurassic coaster. . .

If it feels a boring choice no matter how amazing the ride then I guess it shouldn't matter which order it comes in?
Well thanks for dissecting every party of my comment lol.

No, Kong and Jurassic Coaster are not the same as an immersive land like the WWHOP. They’re fabulous additions but if you compared Kong to that kind of experience then that’s just silly. Doesn’t mean both can’t be great but they’re simply beyond incomparable.

SNW absolutely SEEMS to be the answer, but we have yet to see their rides and we’ve yet to see what they can do for attendance. That’s the question mark here, how does it drive attendance.

I guess I do understand going with more Potter, give what you know your clientele wants, then expand. I just think expanding right away may be the better long term strategy but if they really want to try to make EU happen then can’t move SNW.

Carsland is more based off a Route 66 land that was coming to the park anyway with Cars just added....also the new tech was cool and kids enjoy it while adults like the old vibes
Avatar Has impressive tech and while I don't for the film its not bad just generic and also the world was cool

Fantastic Beasts is not liked much by fans and would most likely be another "ride" the movie ride which if you don't like the source I doubt the ride would do much for you. Also the area's of Paris and New York are already in the parks...not even unique locations. It's just all around a bad idea compared to doing something with the Harry Potter Characters and locations people like

I’ve watched Harry Potter, in full, twice during lockdown and have also tried to watch the second fantastic beasts 3 times and given up on every occasion because it’s that bad. They really shouldn’t build a land on this.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
Status
Not open for further replies.