Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 196 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A small Nintendo only park would be an absolute capacity nightmare. It would be like Christmas week every single day of the year.

Crowds would be handled much better if they just split that in half as a headliner in both the two new parks.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
A small Nintendo only park would be an absolute capacity nightmare. It would be like Christmas week every single day of the year.

Crowds would be handled much better if they just split that in half as a headliner in both the two new parks.

Ehhhh, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Uni will find a way to keep the crowds from becoming a Walking-Dead spinoff ;)

If it was only these lands they would need to expand DK to more than one ride. Mario only has 2 rides designed so far. They would need to add a Luigi’s Mansion attraction. Pokémon could get two E-tickets possibly, Zelda 1, Kirby? Can’t think of an E-ticket idea for that. So we would get like 8 rides worth anything in a brand new park?
Super Mario Galaxy coaster like Space Fantasy, Jungle Japes rapids for DK, Metroid shooter ride (next level MiB), F-Zero mega launch coaster (Big Blue), Star Fox something (lol), Zelda adventure ride, etc. in addition to what we already know. Kirby could be a kid’s area sharing with Animal Crossing.

I'm split on this. On one hand, Super Nintendo World as its own theme park is like, my fangirl dream. On another hand... I have a hard time seeing this park having the same kind of wide appeal that USF/IOA do. The only way I see it happening is:

- It IS the mythical "video game only" park, and features more than just Nintendo, with other huge game IPs such as Minecraft (which, like it or not, is absolutely MASSIVE). If they're loose with the theme, you could include things along the lines of Ready Player One (not saying RPO would be added because of how underwhelming the film is doing, I just mean similar vaguely video game-based IPs).
- If Universal is actually planning a 4th gate as not a long distance possibility, but as an actual fairly soon goal.

Either way, I have a feeling a Nintendo/video game-only park being Gate 3 would signify that LOTR is no longer on the table. Which is... weird, considering it felt like a lock beforehand, especially now that the Tolkien estate is being more lenient with rights.

Reactions: zg44 and Mike S
I'm split on this. On one hand, Super Nintendo World as its own theme park is like, my fangirl dream. On another hand... I have a hard time seeing this park having the same kind of wide appeal that USF/IOA do. The only way I see it happening is:

- It IS the mythical "video game only" park, and features more than just Nintendo, with other huge game IPs such as Minecraft (which, like it or not, is absolutely MASSIVE). If they're loose with the theme, you could include things along the lines of Ready Player One (not saying RPO would be added because of how underwhelming the film is doing, I just mean similar vaguely video game-based IPs).
- If Universal is actually planning a 4th gate as not a long distance possibility, but as an actual fairly soon goal.

Either way, I have a feeling a Nintendo/video game-only park being Gate 3 would signify that LOTR is no longer on the table. Which is... weird, considering it felt like a lock beforehand, especially now that the Tolkien estate is being more lenient with rights.
Third party characters have appeared in Smash Bros. so who knows. As long as the franchise has history with Nintendo maybe they’d be willing.

Third party characters have appeared in Smash Bros. so who knows. As long as the franchise has history with Nintendo maybe they’d be willing.
Despite being competitors, Microsoft has been fairly friendly with Nintendo recently so I could see Minecraft happening. That game is nearly a Pokemon-level phenomenon, if Universal were making a video game-based park, they'd be crazy not to utilize it. It'd basically guarantee every 7-13 year old in the country begging to go.

Lost Continent could just as easily become HTTYD or Kung Fu Panda as it could become Zelda (and they're repainting Mythos, so don't expect something new there any time soon anyway.)

They replaced all of the light bulbs on the Epcot wand just before tearing it down.
Also, a Nintendo only park is a terrible idea, leave that in Nintendo Land. The general theme park public isn't as Nintendo obsessed as the online gaming community, very little people would visit the park as much as IOA or USF.

It's also my opinion that would be a boring park.

Reactions: WowFactor
I can think of many reasons why it wouldn't happen. On the flip side, Universal has not built anything in the existing parks with Nintendo so it is possible.
All they need is one big reason to do it:

Nintendo made an offer they couldn’t refuse. Maybe Universal now has movie, TV, etc. rights to anything Nintendo in addition to Nintendo footing a good amount of the bill for the park.

Reactions: E.Gadd
Super Mario Galaxy coaster like Space Fantasy, Jungle Japes rapids for DK, Metroid shooter ride (next level MiB), F-Zero mega launch coaster (Big Blue), Star Fox something (lol), Zelda adventure ride, etc. in addition to what we already know. Kirby could be a kid’s area sharing with Animal Crossing.

Hot take. That park fails long term.

While we're on the topic of a potential video game-only park, and in the blue sky thread...

I want a Namco arcade-themed area. I imagine an area with an 80s' retro neon arcade aesthetic. Pac-Man trackless dark ride through a dark neon labyrinth populated ghosts as if we're in a Pac-Man machine, and Galaga interactive dark ride using Kuka ride vehicles so guests are "flying" through space, shooting pixelated aliens. The arcade characters look similarly pixelated as they do in the movie Pixels, but not... trapped in an absolutely terrible movie.

Okay, done with my unlikely-and-probably-not-great blue sky idea.

Some things to consider:
  • Jurassic Park getting overhaul/new ride over at IOA, indicates to me JW was moved off the table for the new park.
  • While there was some speculation of Pokemon coming to KidZone, seems like Trolls is being eyed to go there now.
  • Does anyone actually care enough about Shrek for it to get something new at a shiny new park?
  • Lost Continent could just as easily become HTTYD or Kung Fu Panda as it could become Zelda (and they're repainting Mythos, so don't expect something new there any time soon anyway.)
  • What if they never secured the rights to LOTR? Has anyone heard anything concrete on that?
  • As much as I would love a Universal Classic Monsters land, lets be real, the Dark Universe crashed and left a bad taste in their mouths. You think Comcast wants to build something new based on that right now?
  • Pacific Rim's sequel didn't do well enough to break even. They seem to have lost traction with Paramount over building Star Trek attractions. Can't think of any other Sci-Fi IPs they want to use at the moment.
  • What else? Sanrio? Would make a great re-theme for the southern half of Toon Lagoon if you ask me, or share KidZone with Trolls 50/50.
And most importantly, what properties have we actually gotten truly confirmed for a 4th gate so far, besides Nintendo? Any? Or have we just been guessing all this time?
I don’t like the “dark universe is bad” argument. Mummy and Dracula aren’t exactly going to start a shared universe but they also have 60 or so years of iconic filmmaking with these characters and they’re easily the most classic property universal has outside of Spielberg’s stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.