Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that" Orlando market is mature" might have been one of the worst business calls ever. It was the New Coke of tourism.
To be fair, when they made that decision, it was right after 9/11, so with WDW already having 4 parks (and Universal Escape having just failed), they thought they were far more set than they actually were.

Harry Potter and Comcast changed the game.

To be fair, when they made that decision, it was right after 9/11, so with WDW already having 4 parks (and Universal Escape having just failed), they thought they were far more set than they actually were.

Harry Potter and Comcast changed the game.
I can understand the 9/11 time frame since tourism dropped everywhere, but they continued the policy for the next decade plus. The economy was booming again by 2004/2005. And if it wasn't for Potter, my guess is that Avatar, Star Wars, Toy Story expansions never happen. Disney seriously underestimated the potential of the Orlando theme park business, and possibly Universal's very poor previous ownership groups had something to do with it at that time. But only the success of Universal since 2010 finally forced them to recognize that their really poor evaluation of the market was wrong. We both read Magic a lot, even though I don't post over there. Parents of Four has some really good posts showing how poor, historically, Disney's investment in WDW has been from the early part of the century until now. As you said, I can see Disney using 9/11 as an excuse, but a well managed company needs to continually evaluate their market place, ideally on a yearly basis....You are so right that Comcast/Universal changed the game.

I can understand the 9/11 time frame since tourism dropped everywhere, but they continued the policy for the next decade plus. The economy was booming again by 2004/2005. And if it wasn't for Potter, my guess is that Avatar, Star Wars, Toy Story expansions never happen. Disney seriously underestimated the potential of the Orlando theme park business, and possibly Universal's very poor previous ownership groups had something to do with it at that time. But only the success of Universal since 2010 finally forced them to recognize that their really poor evaluation of the market was wrong. We both read Magic a lot, even though I don't post over there. Parents of Four has some really good posts showing how poor, historically, Disney's investment in WDW has been from the early part of the century until now. As you said, I can see Disney using 9/11 as an excuse, but a well managed company needs to continually evaluate their market place, ideally on a yearly basis....You are so right that Comcast/Universal changed the game.
Disney changed their focus from improving the parks to building timeshares during most of the 2000's and they are really feeling the affect of that decision today with two crumbling parks.

Anyone think Disney would start building a 5th gate if universal announces the 3rd? Based on their history I don't think it would be unreasonable. I think that the 3rd gate with volcano bay opened would really be the tipping point of when people who did Disney for their whole vacation would start to choose universal instead.

Anyone think Disney would start building a 5th gate if universal announces the 3rd? Based on their history I don't think it would be unreasonable. I think that the 3rd gate with volcano bay opened would really be the tipping point of when people who did Disney for their whole vacation would start to choose universal instead.

Nope....they are so cheap when it comes to the parks and it takes so long that it wouldn't even be worth it as what would they be able to put in it as Stars Wars already is in Hollywood Studios now and They can't use Marvel which are their two money makers. Also all the other parks still need upgrades.

Reactions: SeventyOne

Exactly what ThemeParks said. With the massive amount of money pouring into Avatar and Disney Shanghi and well as Star Wars Land additions, If say financially they are stretched with what they are willing to do at the moment (and it seems they would agree with cuts they are making to the parks).

They really need to continue addressing the issues with their current parks (they are making some strides with AK and HS)... Namely Epcot and IMO Tomorrowland in Magic Kingdom.

So I guess it is really a great time for universal to build the 3rd gate and take market share away. Universal from what I have read seems to have their efficiency/costs under control when building new attractions so they might be in a better positions to build a new park from a cost standpoint.

So I guess it is really a great time for universal to build the 3rd gate and take market share away. Universal from what I have read seems to have their efficiency/costs under control when building new attractions so they might be in a better positions to build a new park from a cost standpoint.
Plus more hotel rooms, more restaurants etc & more incentive for a tourist to stay on site at Universal for a week or so.

I think a fifth gate at WDW would be a horrible idea. What they need now is to balance out their four current parks. Give MK a few more huge-capacity people-eaters and a new Tomorrowland, update most of the Epcot Future World pavilions and add more countries/rides in World Showcase, continue completely revamping DHS with more lands than just SWL and TSL, and continue adding things to DAK to fill out a full day from open to close.

Universal on the other hand, seems to be covering most of their major loose ends (such as KidZone/Disaster/Twister being replaced), so it's getting to a point where a 3rd gate would be reasonable.

I think one of the things they NEED to consider for the third park should be designing walkways conducive to parades. Both IoA and USO are too tight for proper parade viewing and traffic flow during a parade.
That's is very true. I can see USF having a Fantasmic, WoC, RoL style show for its permanent nighttime spectacular. IOA is more conducive to the typical nighttime fireworks. The new park would focus on the nighttime fireworks and a good parade akin to MK.

That's is very true. I can see USF having a Fantasmic, WoC, RoL style show for its permanent nighttime spectacular. IOA is more conducive to the typical nighttime fireworks. The new park would focus on the nighttime fireworks and a good parade akin to MK.

Without delving into something we aren't suppose to bring up, I say our best bet for a nighttime show at IOA is a projection show similar to what they have done at USJ in recent years. IOA has the same problem with USF as far as fireworks go, and that the residential areas next door. And I think IOA's lagoon lends itself better for a WOC type show than USF's does if they ever went that route.

Does it seem that the foreign parks are at least good to that? Sincerely, I hope that it's resolved for the third gate on when it opens.

Okay this legit could make a great theme park attraction now that the story is fully fleshed, story being true with magical elements

Thank god that I wouldn't be the only one in that IP being good for a ride.

--

Speaking of, I do have a feeling that the third gate will start infrastructure work at that plot next year.

Reactions: Stitch_101
Why not instead of having the parades in the new park just have parades in the new citywalk area along with an outside park performance venue so they don't need to add a new one in citywalk when Ellen or One Direction visit and can make money with merchandise from all those guests without bogging down attendance in the park. Either way Universal is going to make money from parking and everything else.

Why not instead of having the parades in the new park just have parades in the new citywalk area along with an outside park performance venue so they don't need to add a new one in citywalk when Ellen or One Direction visit and can make money with merchandise from all those guests without bogging down attendance in the park. Either way Universal is going to make money from parking and everything else.

This would be a bad idea. People won't need a ticket to see a parade and night time shows draws people in.

As for 5th gate and WDW, this made me laugh. Not only will they not do a 5th park, they NEVER need to do a 5th park, and a 5th park at any point would be an awful idea.

I could see a new indoor concert hall, to accommodate live bands. But. That would be what questions me in terms of the popularity that it could do. It could also lose space that the park may need (ie, Gibson from Hollywood).

Anythings possible, but I cannot see a parade outside the park; as it makes zero sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.