Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Game of Thrones ever be a viable IP? I could imagine a more Animal Kingdom style park with Game of Thrones/LotR/Fantastic Beasts would be really nice.

My concern with Game of Thrones would be the content but I'm sure a family version could be made. I like the laid back idea of that kind of park.

Would Game of Thrones ever be a viable IP? I could imagine a more Animal Kingdom style park with Game of Thrones/LotR/Fantastic Beasts would be really nice.

Switch out Fantastic beasts with Narnia now that Disney doesn't own the rights and you have the top level less Animal Kingdom but more fantasy based park

Reactions: Cheezbat
As cool as I'm sure many would think that is, I doubt it would ever happen. I think it's a bit too mature for a theme park. All of the GOT merchandise is marked as "Ages 17+" so they're clearly trying to avoid marketing them to children. Similarly, I'm sure Universal/HBO wouldn't want so many young theme park goers to be exposed to the series. Aside from Terminator, I don't think any of the IP's represented in the parks have R rated movies.

Another thought I had was of the Pacific Rim franchise in the parks. Knowing the first movie did very well in China, I wonder if Univsersal plans to build an attraction in the Beijing park. With the sequel coming out within the next few years and even chatter about an animated series, I do think the IP has a chance in this upcoming third gate. What do you all think?

As cool as I'm sure many would think that is, I doubt it would ever happen. I think it's a bit too mature for a theme park. All of the GOT merchandise is marked as "Ages 17+" so they're clearly trying to avoid marketing them to children. Similarly, I'm sure Universal/HBO wouldn't want so many young theme park goers to be exposed to the series. Aside from Terminator, I don't think any of the IP's represented in the parks have R rated movies.

Another thought I had was of the Pacific Rim franchise in the parks. Knowing the first movie did very well in China, I wonder if Univsersal plans to build an attraction in the Beijing park. With the sequel coming out within the next few years and even chatter about an animated series, I do think the IP has a chance in this upcoming third gate. What do you all think?

I don't its that mature, most of the kids in my cousin's class (7th grade) watch GoT despite the MA rating label it has . It is no different than most of the rated R Intellectual Properties they use at Halloween Horror Night and there are ways for it to be done to still be a PG-13 level in a theme park. That would be like saying Deadpool shouldn't be allowed to be use because the movie was rated R even though young kids for sure saw that in theatres.

What is the likelihood of HTTYD?

I feel like Berk would be a great theme park environment and the franchise is full of ride and attraction ideas.
I'm not familiar with the current relationship between DreamWorks Animation and Universal right now, but is there any possibility of this happening?

I would expect some time travel ride in some shape or fashion....mainly because for some reason every single media company (ABC, CBS, NBC, Netflix, Fox, etc) has greenlit some time travel project

I don't its that mature, most of the kids in my cousin's class (7th grade) watch GoT despite the MA rating label it has . It is no different than most of the rated R Intellectual Properties they use at Halloween Horror Night and there are ways for it to be done to still be a PG-13 level in a theme park. That would be like saying Deadpool shouldn't be allowed to be use because the movie was rated R even though young kids for sure saw that in theatres.

There is 0 chance that GoT is a viable Orlando theme park property. Come on, man.

What is the likelihood of HTTYD?

I feel like Berk would be a great theme park environment and the franchise is full of ride and attraction ideas.
I'm not familiar with the current relationship between DreamWorks Animation and Universal right now, but is there any possibility of this happening?

Berk would be awesome, but we're about 5 years too late for that to happen

Berk would be awesome, but we're about 5 years too late for that to happen

Agreed. The IP went pretty dead after the 2nd movie pretty quickly. The movie was released in June/July and by the time I was doing my daughters birthday party in December everything was deep discounted and no store carried dragon stuff. Unless they create a 3rd movie just as good as the first one (which I doubt) this IP is not worth being in a park.

Agreed. The IP went pretty dead after the 2nd movie pretty quickly. The movie was released in June/July and by the time I was doing my daughters birthday party in December everything was deep discounted and no store carried dragon stuff. Unless they create a 3rd movie just as good as the first one (which I doubt) this IP is not worth being in a park.

For what its worth, the series was always intended to be a trilogy. The 3rd film is slated for release on June 29th of 2018. I loved the first two, and I'm actually probably one of the few that prefers the second to the first due to its darker emotional elements... however I think Skip is right. Unless the third film really surprises and out performs the first two (which is possible... The second film made almost as much internationally as the first film made its entire worldwide gross) then its probably not very likely.

For what its worth, the series was always intended to be a trilogy. The 3rd film is slated for release on June 29th of 2018. I loved the first two, and I'm actually probably one of the few that prefers the second to the first due to its darker emotional elements... however I think Skip is right. Unless the third film really surprises and out performs the first two (which is possible... The second film made almost as much internationally as the first film made its entire worldwide gross) then its probably not very likely.

Oh, I didn't realize there was a 3rd. The second was OK, but my daughter much more preferred the 1st over the 2nd. It just seems to be out of everyone's mind was my point. As much as I think it would make an awesome ride/land.

Realistic Properties for 3rd Park, IMO:

-More Nintendo
-Universal Monsters
-Potter/Fantastic Beasts

Outside of that I don't think anything is all that solid of a lock.

I do feel we'll see UC take a whole other approach at media focusing on Video Game properties

We've already had movie. TV, Comic Book and Book properties.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Volterra as featured in twilight to replace the lost continent.. Even Travel underneath and see the volturi?
volterra_porta_arco.jpg 1Volterra.jpg New-Moon-The-Volturi-the-volturi-29404287-1366-581.jpg

Twilight is an IP that if translated into the parks, would piss off a LOT OF PEOPLE. Me included, and that its as bad of an idea as The Hunger Games becoming a Theme Park I- oh wait.
Well that was quick lol! What would be so bad about it I'm interested to know? And Hunger games is not even close to twilight caliber, twilight has a much bigger fan base. I can see universal getting really creative with this, almost like you're in italy.

Well that was quick lol! What would be so bad about it I'm interested to know? And Hunger games is not even close to twilight caliber, twilight has a much bigger fan base. I can see universal getting really creative with this, almost like you're in italy.

The Twilight Saga has multiple assets that either A.) can NOT work in a Theme-Park environment or B.) the interest of this would be bare or almost non-existant. Even as the film series has made a billion, it would be a waste of space that'd be better saved for an IP like Seuss or expanding the Wizarding World to that section.

Hell, if you want to compare it; Twilight doesn't even make as much as some of the IPs represented in the entire resort;

TF: 1.3 Billion
Potter: 2.3 Billion
F&F: 1.2 Billion

While you could say that Twilight inches ahead Fast and Furious, theres a difference between an IP that has ended its course in films well over four years ago; and an IP that has plenty of films left in its roster.

Reactions: Mike S
Status
Not open for further replies.