Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 42 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With this acquisition I think it changes everything for the third gate talks. You just expanded your portfolio by a large amount and that I think is the reason of the high figure paid for this animation company. A lot to gain for universal specifically on Disney. Universals market has always leaned more towards teens and adults and that's no secret however.. That focus is starting to change.. What could that mean for this third gate I think it can mean a lot.

With this acquisition I think it changes everything for the third gate talks. You just expanded your portfolio by a large amount and that I think is the reason of the high figure paid for this animation company. A lot to gain for universal specifically on Disney. Universals market has always leaned more towards teens and adults and that's no secret however.. That focus is starting to change.. What could that mean for this third gate I think it can mean a lot.

They should scrap Nintendo talk for the existing parks and go really big in third gate with it being about a 3rd of the total focus with Dreamworks being another each havingING their on lands and various other thing making up the rest.

I, for one, would like to see Jaws return bigger and better. If they can do Kong, they can do Jaws.

*cracks knuckles*

Okay...what if Park 3 ends up being a concept raised from the dead?

I'm of course speaking of the original concept that became IOA of "Tooniversal Studios". Featuring current and nostalgic cartoon properties, it's a whimsical world of color. DreamWorks, Nintendo, SpongeBob, SLoP, TMNT, etc.

*cracks knuckles*

I'm of course speaking of the original concept that became IOA of "Tooniversal Studios". Featuring current and nostalgic cartoon properties, it's a whimsical world of color. DreamWorks, Nintendo, SpongeBob, SLoP, TMNT, etc.
Too skewed to young families. I would think you need more diversity to attract a broad customer spectrum. I never cared much for that concept. Maybe half the park, not more.

Too skewed to young families. I would think you need more diversity to attract a broad customer spectrum. I never cared much for that concept. Maybe half the park, not more.

I don't agree. With the right mix of attractions it could certainly attract anyone.

I wouldn't be against something else, but it'd be nice to see a Uni park with a cohesive design concept throughout

*cracks knuckles*

I'd argue that Toon Lagoon is the least popular part of IOA. Granted some of that is IPs, some is the rides themselves, but event thematically, it seems to be a speed through to get to something more interesting area. I just can't see taking that basic idea and expanding it to what will probably be your flagship park.

Also consider, this thing is going in right across from the convention center and the Citiwalk will be an important part of this. Some of the convention people bring families, but many do not. And while they aren't really there for the theme parks, they certainly aren't going to be drawn into a park full of cartoons.

I certainly think that this Tooniversal idea could make up part of the park, but I just can't fathom it being the whole park.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I'd argue that Toon Lagoon is the least popular part of IOA. Granted some of that is IPs, some is the rides themselves, but event thematically, it seems to be a speed through to get to something more interesting area. I just can't see taking that basic idea and expanding it to what will probably be your flagship park.

I think that's more to do with the...interesting design choices they made there and less to do with the area. Don't agree with the rides being unpopular though.

Featuring current and nostalgic cartoon properties, it's a whimsical world of color. DreamWorks, Nintendo, SpongeBob, SLoP, TMNT, etc.

THIS. Very possible now. Im thinking yes they will target adults and teens but with the use of properties that attract little ones. Illumination Properties, Dreamwork properties, Possibly the time warner/hanah Barbera properties..

To the nay sayers of this idea all i will say is that your thinking NOW. in the moment, and while yes i would agree many of these properties are irrelevant to KIDS i think a revamp of these properties using all avenues that Comcast has can turn things around in a heart beat.

Reactions: chewbacca1995
Now that Comcast has DreamWorks that leaves Shrek 4D as a prime spot for SLoP paving the way for something better in Site B (I'm bringing it back!!!!! Lol). Also I know Shrek, Madagascar, KFP, and HTTYD are the big ones but there's another character I'd love to see Universal tackle: Megamind, incredibly handsome criminal genius and master of all villainy.

It could work if some of the animation is more teen/adult-skewing

1. SpongeBob
  2. Warcraft (the games are animated)
  3. Legend of Zelda
  4. Mario Bros/Donkey Kong/Yoshi's Island
  5. DreamWorks (similar layout as Fantasyland)
  6. Pokemon
  7. The Big Apple (stylized NYC with toon IPs like SLoP or TMNT)
  8. Laika/Roald Dahl (Coraline, ParaNorman, Boxtrolls, Kubo and the Two Strings, Willy Wonka, etc)
  9. possibly more Seuss (maybe a Whoville area with Grinch and Horton E-tickets and a Seussical stage show on par with the former Aladdin show at DCA?)
Hanna-Barbera would be much better as a Toon Lagoon replacement.

Scooby-Doo replaces TL theater, Jetsons takes over carnival games/Comic Strip Lane area, Popeye stays as is, Flintstones and/or Wacky Races replace Dudley

I like the toon-based concept. It leaves USF and IOA open to live-action IPs and gives the 3rd gate a thematic hook/cohesion.

It could work if some of the animation is more teen/adult-skewing

1. SpongeBob
  2. Warcraft (the games are animated)
  3. Legend of Zelda
  4. Mario Bros/Donkey Kong/Yoshi's Island
  5. DreamWorks (similar layout as Fantasyland)
  6. Pokemon
  7. The Big Apple (stylized NYC with toon IPs like SLoP or TMNT)
  8. Laika/Roald Dahl (Coraline, ParaNorman, Boxtrolls, Kubo and the Two Strings, Willy Wonka, etc)
Hanna-Barbera would be much better as a Toon Lagoon replacement.

Scooby-Doo replaces TL theater, Jetsons takes over carnival games/Comic Strip Lane area, Popeye stays as is, Flintstones and/or Wacky Races replace Dudley

I like the toon-based concept. It leaves USF and IOA open to live-action IPs and gives the 3rd gate a thematic hook/cohesion.
That's a bit better. Warcraft & Legend of Zelda elevate the age level.

I'm not too convinced on the Toonuniversal concept. I think the future of theme parks lies in very weak theses. Look at USF + IOA. They have a strong central conceit, but you can take any IP and shove it into either park. Toonuniversal would make it impossible to add a lot of different live-action IPs in the future without breaking the central concept.

Sure, you could put those in USF / IOA, but why limit yourself to your smallest parks?

That's a bit better. Warcraft & Legend of Zelda elevate the age level.
Laika's pretty adult, too. Not that many little kids like eerie stop-motion :tongue:

I'd also say anime, but unless Universal can get the theme park rights to Studio Ghibli, I can't think of too many family-friendly anime series/films that are popular sans Pokemon.

I'm not too convinced on the Toonuniversal concept. I think the future of theme parks lies in very weak theses. Look at USF + IOA. They have a strong central conceit, but you can take any IP and shove it into either park. Toonuniversal would make it impossible to add a lot of different live-action IPs in the future without breaking the central concept.

Sure, you could put those in USF / IOA, but why limit yourself to your smallest parks?

Your smallest parks that are running out of space at that. I completely agree with this. I just don't see a 3rd gate consisting of only animated IP's. Could animated IP's be more prevalent then the other park? Sure, and the DWA acquisition gives them a lot to work with. However, not even a single Disney park relies souly on animated IP's.

Reactions: Mike S
Laika's pretty adult, too. Not that many little kids like eerie stop-motion :tongue:

Laika's never gonna happen. Their highest (domestic?) box office for any movie they made was $125 million (Coraline). Universal could never justify spending that much, or even half that, on a ride considering the IP is currently worth so little.

EDIT: It was domestic + international box office. Billion dollar IPs get theme park rides.

Reactions: Brian G.
THIS. Very possible now. Im thinking yes they will target adults and teens but with the use of properties that attract little ones. Illumination Properties, Dreamwork properties, Possibly the time warner/hanah Barbera properties..

To the nay sayers of this idea all i will say is that your thinking NOW. in the moment, and while yes i would agree many of these properties are irrelevant to KIDS i think a revamp of these properties using all avenues that Comcast has can turn things around in a heart beat.

How long is the current agreement with the WB/HB properties with Six Flags for.

How will this mesh with the indoor Dreamworks park slated for American Dream Meadowlands and was it for the proposed Miami site as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.