Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 518 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's both an issue and a feature. By controlling them as separate gates they can manage events much easier (see my earlier post). But the issue is more lines and more paid team members to oversee the gates. If they solve the "issue" they can take advantage of the benefits.

Also I'm sorry but I have to be very dismissive of the phrase "if it ain't broke." That is the most anti-creative, anti-innovative, anti-imaginitive phrase humans have ever come up with. How about, shoot for the stars but have a contingency?
This isn’t shooting for the stars. It’s change for the sake of change and just creating more headaches that don’t need to be made.
Yeah people are getting hung up on that when it was said to be scrapped.
And for good reason it was. The argument stems from the defense the terrible idea is getting.

Even under the old plan of entrances off of a public hub, you wouldn't have been able to only buy tickets to the individual worlds. It would have been a ticket for all the worlds.
Which makes perfect sense. That is just a mess and probably not profitable long term.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Even under the old plan of entrances off of a public hub, you wouldn't have been able to only buy tickets to the individual worlds. It would have been a ticket for all the worlds.
To me even that would cause unneeded issues with the public hub potentially getting crowded with both guests and non guests. This could create issues with people being used to just crossing a hub to get where they need to go and then lines at each world making sure everyone actually has a ticket.

“Pay admission, then go inside” is not a concept that needs fixing.

To me even that would cause unneeded issues with the public hub potentially getting crowded with both guests and non guests. This could create issues with people being used to just crossing a hub to get where they need to go and then lines at each world making sure everyone actually has a ticket.

“Pay admission, then go inside” is not a concept that needs fixing.
The plan was for there to be no turnstiles. Just an entry way and the facial recognition tech would know who does or doesn't have valid admission media. If you are flagged for not having a ticket, a CM with a "Point Of Sale" iPad would stop you and either sell you a ticket or ask you to return to the hub.

That said, it didn't sound like a workable system to me. Too many people just wandering in not knowing they just entered a $160/day theme park.

Catching up on this thread, yeesh. What a god awful idea.

Look at the trends in "downtown" areas where they have retail on the ground floor with apartments above. What if the new hub/CW/entrance was the same kind of thing, with shops, restaurants, etc. at ground level with hotel space above?

I like the idea as a clever use of space. Kind of like Portofino in look and feel but my concern would be noise.

One thing I think we can be sure of, there won't be many, if any, chain restaurants in this place. They've seen the light on creating their own restaurants.

There's always going to be a need for chain restaurants. Even if you had the best restaurants at the best prices, some people will only eat what they know.

FW will not be an á la carte park. A FW ticket will include all the "worlds". You won't be able to get tickets for the individual worlds.

If everybody has a ticket for every 'world' then what's the point? Constant use of a ticket would skyrocket lanyard sales in the parks.

"IF" they were to do the open citiwalk hub idea, then having options for people to buy single land tickets only makes sense. So you get someone in theres at 5 pm for dinner. They are not buying a $160 all park ticket. But dropping $40 to go into Harry Potter land(or whatever) is a possible upcharge you could get them with.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I think there's a way Universal can have their cake and eat it to with Fantastic Worlds. Here's a rushed concept that I made for the layout, it is not to scale:

Fantastic Worlds Layout.png
So as others have mentioned, it makes sense to have the lands that are parallel to each other to just have pathways between the two, but I still think there's a way to have the lands "closed off" and still be convenient to access: build pedestrian bridges above the hub.

This way, guests can travel between lands on the opposite side of the hub without having to go back out and re-scan their tickets. You could even have the entrances to the bridges be enclosed, removing sightlines into the land.

As far as the expansion plots behind the hotel go, you can build pathways to them through the hotel by building the first floor above the hub. Hotel guests just have to walk/take an elevator door down and exit via a one-way set of doors. You could also expand the hub further down through the hotel, and have it surround the nighttime show, with new "portals" being built around that section.

I don't think it's a perfect plan, but as far as allowing the hub to be an open-access retail space while still allowing easy access between lands, this is the best thing I could think of.

Reactions: FatalBubbles
I think there's a way Universal can have their cake and eat it to with Fantastic Worlds. Here's a rushed concept that I made for the layout, it is not to scale:

View attachment 9311
So as others have mentioned, it makes sense to have the lands that are parallel to each other to just have pathways between the two, but I still think there's a way to have the lands "closed off" and still be convenient to access: build pedestrian bridges above the hub.

This way, guests can travel between lands on the opposite side of the hub without having to go back out and re-scan their tickets. You could even have the entrances to the bridges be enclosed, removing sightlines into the land.

As far as the expansion plots behind the hotel go, you can build pathways to them through the hotel by building the first floor above the hub. Hotel guests just have to walk/take an elevator door down and exit via a one-way set of doors. You could also expand the hub further down through the hotel, and have it surround the nighttime show, with new "portals" being built around that section.

I don't think it's a perfect plan, but as far as allowing the hub to be an open-access retail space while still allowing easy access between lands, this is the best thing I could think of.
Those would have to be some wide bridges.

I still wonder if it will be designed so the hub can stay open later after the park closes with no admission (just for shopping and dining) on early close nights.

If properly implemented - and enough turnstiles built - having separate gates for each world shouldn't be any more inconvenient than needing to tap your magic band for every fastpass or scan your room key each time you use express.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I have a slightly different (but similar) idea that could alleviate the issue of having to scan your tickets or whatever every time you want to enter one of the lands.

See attached. Have a "ring" around the Free Hub, and with many turnstile points to get to the outer "Ring" means you only need to scan your ticket once to get to that outer ring and then can freely go from world to world without having to scan again.

So the only time you have to scan is when going from the hub to the outer ring.

This is pretty good, could alleviate the issues that would previously have been there.

I worry about the hotel placement. On one hand having a hotel in the park is cool, and has been done well (Grand Californian and Mira Costa), but with it being in the back of the park and the *middle* of the back of the park, it better have some really good plans on blending in

I also cant figure out what it means for pyro for the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.