Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worry about the hotel placement. On one hand having a hotel in the park is cool, and has been done well (Grand Californian and Mira Costa), but with it being in the back of the park and the *middle* of the back of the park, it better have some really good plans on blending in
Finally we agree on something like this.

I'll be honest I was never expecting much pyro to begin with, though that's not something I care much about in general

Since UOR is, right now, in a residential neighborhood with sound ordinances and inside the city of Orlando, they are very restricted on pyro and ride height. This new land has none of those restrictions, but if you build a hotel in the middle of the property, that’s going to limit what you can do with nighttime shows.

I’m not really understanding the benefit of the multi-gate setup. It sounds like four smaller, mini-parks, connected with a CityWalk. I think a better idea would be to put two entrances on either side, and then run a monorail or transit system to connect two halves of the theme park, with a “neutral zone” in the middle as a CityWalk shopping/dining district, and a hotel at the back. Each “world” would not need its own gate, and guests could freely move between the East and West parts of the park.

Think about a layout like Epcot’s Future World, but the entrance would be near the World Showcase gateway shops/pathways. You’d enter into shopping and dining in the center (old Communicore buildings), and then go right to get to Test Track, Mission Space, etc. Left would take you to Imagination, The Land, and The Seas. SSE would be a hotel in this example, and the breezeways between the old Innoventions buildings and retail/dining would be your actual gates. Once you’re inside, there would be a transportation ride (train, monorail, aerial tramway, peoplemover, etc) to take you to the other side, or you could exit and walk through the center if that’s faster.

And that kind of layout wouldn’t restrict future plans as much, because under the current rumor, a one-off ride/land like Skull Island: Reign of Kong or Men in Black could never justifiably open, being so small and underdeveloped. Or if they wanted to reposition a “world” decades later, ala Wizarding World of Harry Potter at IOA (that ate into parts of Lost Continent and JP expansion space), they could still work one in, without having to build a whole new branch of the hub and entrance path. Even the two new “worlds” could just piggy-back off the two existing gates, without having to build dedicated entrance portals and have extra staff added. Just a thought for the future.

I’m all for deconstructing the idea of a theme park, but you have to be realistic about capacities, ride closures and refurbs, and future expansion plans.

Last edited:
It is not a horrible concept for different pods to branch off a common area. It could work under the right circumstances, but I don't like it here with the layout and what else is known.

For the bridges, tunnels, or other ways to bypass the shopping area... that effectively takes it out of the park so what is the point of trying to put it into the park? If the shops, restaurants, etc. aren't pulling double duty for those in the parks it'd still be a separate shopping area, with a big hole taken out of the park. There's also the challenge of keeping these separated corridors in theme.

For the talk on verification, the fingerprint scanners basically create a password from details of the scan. With each time it checks with the database, if the password this time matches that from before you're probably the same person. This can also be done with faces though more complicated and there'd need to be a pre-system that tracks and identifies what even is a face. There's a trade-off between speed and reliability. Too sensitive gives false negatives, and not sensitive enough gives false positives. And this would still just alert a team of human beings to administrate.

With what some others have suggested it could work that it's all only for park guests during the day, then in the evening as the crowds die down open the hub to the public and then restrict access to the worlds to park guests. With a lot still unknown about the new park it is hard to speculate if they could get this to work smoothly.

I hate the open hub idea. The parks are busy enough I don't want to see or interact with everyone at City Walk while I'm walking through a gated park, or Disney Springs while I"m in the magic kingdom. People love to do anything free at theme parks, Tons of people just walk around Disney Springs window shopping... Imagine all these people on main street. The current system for City Walk/IOA/USF is perfect for me. I love having that option there... I love that I don't have to travel far from the parks to utilize it and there is one point of entry for all three, but I love that only ticketed guests are inside the actual parks.

These new parks are all about immersion! Seeing people just shopping and eating out, who aren't guests of Fantastic Worlds would take me out of the experience the parks should strive for.

Last edited:
I guess I mean imagine all the people in Disney Springs are on Main Street with all the people who are already on Main Street lol... Imagine a portion of Disney Springs inside of Magic Kingdom where people can sit and eat lunch/watch fireworks for free with the castle in the background.

I guess I mean imagine all the people in Disney Springs are on Main Street with all the people who are already on Main Street lol... Imagine a portion of Disney Springs inside of Magic Kingdom where people can sit and eat lunch/watch fireworks for free with the castle in the background.

Even if they were going this route, which it doesn't seem like they are, I don't think it would ever get to anywhere near that point

I'm trying to follow along but I'm just so confused...

Can somebody please clarify...are they going with this new design where they have a CitiWalk area as their "Main Street" with separate entrances to each world? Or was this idea scrapped and they are they sticking with the original hub and spoke design? :think:

Having a hotel on the edge of a theme park is fine when it's themed well.
h512

Take could even put their offices in the park (back drop building is an office).
maxresdefault.jpg

I'll be honest I was never expecting much pyro to begin with, though that's not something I care much about in general
I mean, I don't typically stay and watch all the time, but people like big fireworks shows. This is the only place Universal will have the freedom to do a "big fireworks show" night in and out. I'd think they'd want to take the opportunity and show they can do something great.

Having a hotel on the edge of a theme park is fine when it's themed well.
h512

Take could even put their offices in the park (back drop building is an office).
maxresdefault.jpg
I feel like the new park will be A LOT like phantasialand. In terms of surrounding you within a world with multiple layers.

I'm trying to follow along but I'm just so confused...

Can somebody please clarify...are they going with this new design where they have a CitiWalk area as their "Main Street" with separate entrances to each world? Or was this idea scrapped and they are they sticking with the original hub and spoke design? :think:
Yes: they are going with option A or B. :)

Most of the people in this thread are saying they scrapped the idea and going with a traditional design (one main entrance), but TPU says it's still the multiple entrances for each world. Since it's all rumor and speculation, nothing is confirmed.

These new parks are all about immersion! Seeing people just shopping and eating out, who aren't guests of Fantastic Worlds would take me out of the experience the parks should strive for.
If everyone in Potter wore a robe I'd agree with you: full immersion and anyone who doesn't wear it would ruin immersion. But those with robes are a small percentage, and typically you can't tell the difference between a guest to IOA or a guest at City Walk.

If everyone in Potter wore a robe I'd agree with you: full immersion and anyone who doesn't wear it would ruin immersion. But those with robes are a small percentage, and typically you can't tell the difference between a guest to IOA or a guest at City Walk.
You guys don’t wear your theme park guest costumes when you visit the park? My email was VERY CLEAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.