Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 83 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge difference with room charging and all inclusive. All inclusive the price tag is the price tag. You aren't being charged extra, a hold on your card for room charging means you can't use the money or see it go away.

For people who like to drink and eat all inclusive is the way to go as you can drink and eat as much as you want. Why do you think Cancun is so popular with college kids in the summer along with cruises and all inclusive resorts are becoming more and more popular. An all inclusive theme park would put a dent into the Orlando theme park market in a positive way.

Also before Busch got bought out they already were serving free beer with admission and planned to go the all inclusive route for theme parks.

Last edited:
I can't see it happen for the merch reason alone. If there is a just a big gift shop at the end, the average guest will spend a lot less. Its one thing to spend $50 3-4 times throughout the day, but to save it all for the end and spend $200 at once? You probably just buy a couple things and spend $50-$100. Seeing it all together at one time makes it seem like you spent more. You also lose the impulse buys that are spread throughout the park.

Not to mention, the all-inclusive part would pretty much kill money made off of alcohol sales as I can't imagine them having free alcohol. They'd have to price the park at like $200 or some people would come just to drink all day. Also, specialty drinks like Butterbeer would probably not make sense to have as there is no incentive for extra income.

Also, where do you price this thing? Food is pretty expensive in the parks as it is. To build 2-3 meals, drinks, and snacks into the price when parks are already over $100 a day as it is, you'd be pushing a $200 ticket. We are talking ultra boutique level there and pricing a very large portion of the market out.

I can't see it happen for the merch reason alone. If there is a just a big gift shop at the end, the average guest will spend a lot less. Its one thing to spend $50 3-4 times throughout the day, but to save it all for the end and spend $200 at once? You probably just buy a couple things and spend $50-$100. Seeing it all together at one time makes it seem like you spent more. You also lose the impulse buys that are spread throughout the park.

Not to mention, the all-inclusive part would pretty much kill money made off of alcohol sales as I can't imagine them having free alcohol. They'd have to price the park at like $200 or some people would come just to drink all day. Also, specialty drinks like Butterbeer would probably not make sense to have as there is no incentive for extra income.

Also, where do you price this thing? Food is pretty expensive in the parks as it is. To build 2-3 meals, drinks, and snacks into the price when parks are already over $100 a day as it is, you'd be pushing a $200 ticket. We are talking ultra boutique level there and pricing a very large portion of the market out.

I understand the criticism, however when we look at the growing trends in travel and money, people are willing to pay more upfront for less costs later on. These are the reasons why people buy into dining plans, refillable cups etc as they don't want to whip out their wallets as they feel nickeled and dimed by everything. A one time upfront at the gate cost will put people's minds at ease.

Discovery Cove has managed to be able to conduct this model of all inclusive resort with all you can eat and unlimited beer as well at costs starting at $186 during the low season. When you think about their expenses its even more than Universal in the long run as zoos and zoo based theme parks tend to have more problems and costs for animal care that can not be recouped. With Universal not having animals, prices will be much lower.

When it comes down to merchandise, I know a lot of people wonder why would anyone buy anything on the way out etc. How many people like carrying merchandise bags through theme parks and already have stuff they bought ready for pick up at the front? Imagine you have a system where you still have shops to browse but everything you want is paid for when you leave and no longer a hassle for you to care around. Universal saves money on staff. Its more convenient for the consumer. Also smaller lockers will be needed for around the park saving universal money based on the quantity that is needed to be ordered.

Food and drink becomes less of a hassle for Universal as well as they won't need to hire cashiers just food handlers, drink magicians, etc. Like most all inclusive resorts, they usually stock with select breweries who they partner with. This lower costs for the resorts as they can bulk buy with an exclusive partnership. With food, same thing it allows them to bulk buy as well. Theming is the reason for the inclusion of specialty drinks. The same reason why they don't serve butter beer in production central is it didn't fit the theme, Theming is also what will get people in the park.

This third parks needs to differentiate itself from the other two parks. Being more of the same will not fix any flaws that it currently has or open itself to a new audience. Universal needs to more forward by creating theme park experiences than more of the same. I believe this is the best way to create a new theme park concept that will bring in people with 100% immersion similar to Potter and unique enough to give it a new identity.

I don't buy things often at parks but at least at Cedar Point, guests could have the park hold stuff they won/bought somewhere near the entrance and pick it up on the way out. I assumed Universal did this in some form as well.

I don't buy things often at parks but at least at Cedar Point, guests could have the park hold stuff they won/bought somewhere near the entrance and pick it up on the way out. I assumed Universal did this in some form as well.
As far as I know all the US parks do this for purchases in the park. Not so sure about stuff you have won.

I understand the criticism, however when we look at the growing trends in travel and money, people are willing to pay more upfront for less costs later on. These are the reasons why people buy into dining plans, refillable cups etc as they don't want to whip out their wallets as they feel nickeled and dimed by everything. A one time upfront at the gate cost will put people's minds at ease.

Discovery Cove has managed to be able to conduct this model of all inclusive resort with all you can eat and unlimited beer as well at costs starting at $186 during the low season. When you think about their expenses its even more than Universal in the long run as zoos and zoo based theme parks tend to have more problems and costs for animal care that can not be recouped. With Universal not having animals, prices will be much lower.

When it comes down to merchandise, I know a lot of people wonder why would anyone buy anything on the way out etc. How many people like carrying merchandise bags through theme parks and already have stuff they bought ready for pick up at the front? Imagine you have a system where you still have shops to browse but everything you want is paid for when you leave and no longer a hassle for you to care around. Universal saves money on staff. Its more convenient for the consumer. Also smaller lockers will be needed for around the park saving universal money based on the quantity that is needed to be ordered.

Food and drink becomes less of a hassle for Universal as well as they won't need to hire cashiers just food handlers, drink magicians, etc. Like most all inclusive resorts, they usually stock with select breweries who they partner with. This lower costs for the resorts as they can bulk buy with an exclusive partnership. With food, same thing it allows them to bulk buy as well. Theming is the reason for the inclusion of specialty drinks. The same reason why they don't serve butter beer in production central is it didn't fit the theme, Theming is also what will get people in the park.

This third parks needs to differentiate itself from the other two parks. Being more of the same will not fix any flaws that it currently has or open itself to a new audience. Universal needs to more forward by creating theme park experiences than more of the same. I believe this is the best way to create a new theme park concept that will bring in people with 100% immersion similar to Potter and unique enough to give it a new identity.

You make a lot of great points!

I really look at the next park, not as a third/forth park, but as UNI having a clean canvas that is in an area near a large Convention Center. So, I just see them wanting to find a balance that can attract from the all the various types of visitors the CC brings in as well as making to draw longer stays to current properties.

I just don't think you go boutique in this area. Maybe a 2nd gate built on the new property, but not the first gate built out there...but if they wanted that type of park now, I would think they would use the Wet and Wild land for something like that if they really planned something considered boutique.

Reactions: quinnmac000
You make a lot of great points!

I really look at the next park, not as a third/forth park, but as UNI having a clean canvas that is in an area near a large Convention Center. So, I just see them wanting to find a balance that can attract from the all the various types of visitors the CC brings in as well as making to draw longer stays to current properties.

I just don't think you go boutique in this area. Maybe a 2nd gate built on the new property, but not the first gate built out there...but if they wanted that type of park now, I would think they would use the Wet and Wild land for something like that if they really planned something considered boutique.

The new land is the exact same size as the north campus in total. Actual a slight bigger. They easily could do multiple parks with room for hotels, citywalk, etc.

The other BIG advantage to creating an all inclusive park is that you can create a REAL boutique experience. Let guests know there is a limit to the number of guests you allow in the park to enhance their experience. Make people book ahead if they want that experience (with limited stand-by for any last minute cancellations). You know exactly the staffing you need each day, you have a totally predictable revenue stream from ticket sales, and you know the park will be at or near capacity each day with few days lost to weather.

Reactions: quinnmac000
Also new fun fact...from the lips of a NBCU owned company themselves...USJ will have an in park hotel themed to Minions as their new expansion. I will assume this will come to the third park as well.

Also new fun fact...from the lips of a NBCU owned company themselves...USJ will have an in park hotel themed to Minions as their new expansion. I will assume this will come to the third park as well.

If they go with competing TDS in immersion, theming, and whatnot; I can definitely see that being open game with a large luxury hotel like how Miracosta is in the park itself for TDS.

Wild, I actually thought to myself today that Universal could build a Legoland style childrens family style hotel resort on the new property. Ain't life grand.

New film from Peter Jackson based off Predator Cities novels, produced by Universal studios. Does it have theme park potential as the series is 7 books and Universal is hoping for a franchise?
Peter Jackson sets Mortal Engines film; protege Christian Rivers directs | Deadline

Jaekyung_Lee1.jpg

Reactions: tielo
In all honesty this is probably far fetched even for this thread. But I was pondering a cool concept for a park and thought to myself "one based around the concept of time".

Have four major sections "Gateway of Time" which would be the entrance into the park. Then make the park a ring like structure where if you go left you start in the "Past", the middle being "Present" and the right side being the "Future". At the center add an island of sorts (Fifth Section possibly, more minor likely) with a landmark being a clock tower. Each of the four side of the clock tower is theme'd to the time period which you see it from. Around the clocktower's island would be a small river of sorts, no major body of water like in the other parks though.

Plug in the past IPs like LoZ, LotR, HtTYD, Warcraft. Present put Fantastic Beasts, Pokemon, Jurassic World. Future put Star Trek, Starfox, Metroid, Halo. These are all examples for the most part.

The gateway would act as a path into the park for the most part.

Anyway, not exactly contributing a ton to the discussions going on right now so sorry to derail, just figured I'd throw that idea out though.

Reactions: chewbacca1995
In all honesty this is probably far fetched even for this thread. But I was pondering a cool concept for a park and thought to myself "one based around the concept of time".

Have four major sections "Gateway of Time" which would be the entrance into the park. Then make the park a ring like structure where if you go left you start in the "Past", the middle being "Present" and the right side being the "Future". At the center add an island of sorts (Fifth Section possibly, more minor likely) with a landmark being a clock tower. Each of the four side of the clock tower is theme'd to the time period which you see it from. Around the clocktower's island would be a small river of sorts, no major body of water like in the other parks though.

Plug in the past IPs like LoZ, LotR, HtTYD, Warcraft. Present put Fantastic Beasts, Pokemon, Jurassic World. Future put Star Trek, Starfox, Metroid, Halo. These are all examples for the most part.

The gateway would act as a path into the park for the most part.

Anyway, not exactly contributing a ton to the discussions going on right now so sorry to derail, just figured I'd throw that idea out though.
I do like the time-based element since it allows for a wide variety of attractions without using a rigid format (must be a movie! must be a TV show! must be a book!) and leaves space for original attractions. But you gotta include Doctor Who if there's a time theme to the park :tongue:

Fantastic Beasts might not be the best choice for Present since it's set in 1940s New York City, but the other IPs are good choices!

Reactions: ArchieAndrews
I do like the time-based element since it allows for a wide variety of attractions without using a rigid format (must be a movie! must be a TV show! must be a book!) and leaves space for original attractions. But you gotta include Doctor Who if there's a time theme to the park :tongue:
I can't beleive I forgot Who, it was something that definitely came to mind when I was thinking of the idea.

Fantastic Beasts might not be the best choice for Present since it's set in 1940s New York City, but the other IPs are good choices!
I was thinking that present would be a pretty wide open window (because otherwise it get get dated fairly fast), but in all honesty you're probably right that it's a bit too old to be there.

(I also was just trying to think of a way to put a Potter related IP in there is a chance it will appear)

If they made a Hill Valley land, I'd love for it to change the year every few days. Build it in such a way that the facades can all be changed out easily, different merchandise in the stores and different food.

Something like this:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.