Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 81 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the "4th park." That's the third gate we keep talking about, because we don't count Volcano Bae as a full theme park.

The 5th park... we're a long ways away from that. Nobody has ever built multiple major theme parks at a time. That's because they have to understand the market saturation after they build a park and recoup some of their costs. Theme parks are an enormous up-front cost.

If Uni had four theme parks with more to do combined than Disney's that would be the ultimate blow.

Of course first we need the third.

I have a hard time believing Universal will do a 4th any time soon. I feel there is so much that needs fixed in the 2 they have, that adding 2 more would just cause them to end up where Disney is in 10 or 15 years. I feel 3 is the perfect number until all their parks don't have flaws in them.

And I refuse to call VB their 3rd park. They can say whatever they want in their marketing, it is still a water park.

I have a hard time believing Universal will do a 4th any time soon. I feel there is so much that needs fixed in the 2 they have, that adding 2 more would just cause them to end up where Disney is in 10 or 15 years. I feel 3 is the perfect number until all their parks don't have flaws in them.

And I refuse to call VB their 3rd park. They can say whatever they want in their marketing, it is still a water park.
I'm not saying they should rush into it but they have proven committed to fixing up their current parks that there won't be that much of a problem when the third comes.

I can wait till the 2030's for #4.

Theme parks make Comcast money....like more money than they thought when they first bought the park which is why they are trying to expand Cali and Orlando and bought out Japan as they each shown double digit growth with a building plan for the next 20 years. If Burke didn't mention that last week, then I would buy that statement but he specify mentioned that even with the other sectors of NBC falling at times...theme parks haven't stopped growing at exponential rates.

Reactions: Mike S
I think it will just be refreshing to have a new park to go to. By the time it opens, we could be talking almost 25 years since Islands opened and personally I think it's now starting to feel dated even though it's the newest park.

For the time being, Comcast has way more growth in content than cable. Their massive cable business grew by 6% last year. Their much, much smaller parks/movie business grew by 40%, with the non-parks part growing 70% (which seems insane).

Who knows how long it'll be that way. I imagine Comcast will have to follow the Disney growth plan. Grow the domestic resorts and then begin to focus more internationally.

I think it will just be refreshing to have a new park to go to. By the time it opens, we could be talking almost 25 years since Islands opened and personally I think it's now starting to feel dated even though it's the newest park.
And then the new park will feel old to us APs because we'll be there constantly :lol:

For the time being, Comcast has way more growth in content than cable. Their massive cable business grew by 6% last year. Their much, much smaller parks/movie business grew by 40%, with the non-parks part growing 70% (which seems insane).

Who knows how long it'll be that way. I imagine Comcast will have to follow the Disney growth plan. Grow the domestic resorts and then begin to focus more internationally.
They're doing that with Beijing and we're still getting big investment stateside. Doing both at the same time is a much better strategy.

Theme parks make Comcast money....like more money than they thought when they first bought the park which is why they are trying to expand Cali and Orlando and bought out Japan as they each shown double digit growth with a building plan for the next 20 years. If Burke didn't mention that last week, then I would buy that statement but he specify mentioned that even with the other sectors of NBC falling at times...theme parks haven't stopped growing at exponential rates.

20 years is a long time away. And for all you know 20 years is when they feel they will be ready to build a 4th. I just don't think we should get ahead of ourselves. Let them build the 3rd. Get their feet on the ground with the new park, fix the holes in their other 2 parks which there are holes. Then many many years down the road re-evaluate and look to build a 4th. If they build a 4th too quickly they will have a maintenance issue like Disney has. I am not saying they will never build a 4th, but they are not in a position to build a 3rd and 4th park in the next 10 years.

Idk. It seems to me most other video game IP wouldn't have the same mainstream appeal and/or wouldn't work as well in a theme park setting as Nintendo. They already have the golden goose, so to speak.

Not so much the IP but no modern theme park outside Alton Towers has any post apocalyptic lands/attractions...however think about the massive popular non nintendo games such as Halo, Fallout, Gears of War, etc all are post apocalyptic and could easily fall into a solo land based on that theme and would compliment and contrast enough with Nintendo to bring in other people.

Not so much the IP but no modern theme park outside Alton Towers has any post apocalyptic lands/attractions...however think about the massive popular non nintendo games such as Halo, Fallout, Gears of War, etc all are post apocalyptic and could easily fall into a solo land based on that theme and would compliment and contrast enough with Nintendo to bring in other people.

If GoW works out in Universal's favor and is a success (unlike like how Warcraft was handled, even though I love that film despite it's big flaws); I can see Microsoft letting Universal crack the Halo IP for the films. If Halo is a successful IP for film, I can easily see 343/Microsoft work with the parks for a dedicated attraction to the series. If it would be included within the third gate, it'd have to be in a Sci-Fi land.

You bring up a good point with an opposite feeling land. So what you're saying is a general post apocalypse area? What kind of attractions would be fitting for them?

You bring up a good point with an opposite feeling land. So what you're saying is a general post apocalypse area? What kind of attractions would be fitting for them?

Battlestar Galatica is post apocalyptic/dystopian as well as Hunger Games.
Halo you could do a ride like Tron cycles and the upcoming StormTrooper ride and it will work.
Gears of War you can have the roaming gangs.
Fallout you can go super meta and make Nuka Land and actually have a shooter coaster...I mean a theme park inside a theme park....
1Ut2rbr

Lastly a Mad Max Ride of course
FRD-DS-00253.0.JPG

They could even add Westworld.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.