UO to discontinue Paper Park Maps | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

UO to discontinue Paper Park Maps

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No more paper park maps?

Devastated here. As an international tourist these maps were in my view one of the best souvenirs, and free.

I had to bring some home so I could trace them out after.

But I understand both the sustainability and financial aspects.

I guess it’s just one of those.

:(

This definitely stinks. I'd hope they will start selling charging cables somewhere in the park because I have experienced multiple times a friend having their battery completely drained during a park day or HHN night and not having a charger with them, and with this, not being able to check showtimes or anything like that thru the app would be a pain. Smaller issue but it is one I've seen multiple times.

If they do continue to create paper maps but lock them behind a desk at Guest Services like it seems like some are saying, I think I actually feel a lot better about this than if they didn't. I can at least quell my super-fan collector urge through that, and I can rest easy that some Minnesotan Grandpa might be able to figure his way around after all if he's directed to the right person.

I've heard this repeated a bunch and I've taken it at face value for awhile. It might be a conversation more suited for the Ride System thread than this Paper Maps one, but I'm really curious to dig deeper on this. I think this conversation started in the Mummy Refurb thread around December 2019, or at least that's where I first heard it prominently discussed.

There are Fuel Rod kiosks around the parks that sell and exchange portable chargers. That being said, I burned through my battery and the Fuel Rod over a particularly long day at the park last HHN, then I ran into an issue exchanging my charger on my last visit and had to visit three different kiosks to swap it out. I can see how they'd be reluctant to sell cords and implicitly encourage people to plug into outlets around the park, but they definitely need to make sure these kiosks are working.

That is crazy. The ticket window lady said don't bother try adding it as it is a known glitch. When I entered park I logged into app and the passes did actually show up since I ordered them under my account, but there is no barcode and you can't use them to enter the park or use them as express.

I just think their app needs a lot of work. I also think they need to allow more customization of their food. Not being able to change out side items on the app or maybe not at all in person is kind of a pain. These small changes could go a long way. Not everyone likes peas or beets.

I know that for most tickets, once you've physically printed the ticket, the app doesn't allow you to pull up a barcode. I wish I could update my wallet to remove old tickets like my Unmasking the Horror tickets. They take up space on the app that make it hard to find my annual pass, so I still use the physical pass.

The consensus that I'm seeing here is that people are bummed about losing the maps, but it wouldn't be such a bad thing if the app worked more effectively. I hope that the Universal lurkers on the boards are taking the feedback seriously.

I know that for most tickets, once you've physically printed the ticket, the app doesn't allow you to pull up a barcode. I wish I could update my wallet to remove old tickets like my Unmasking the Horror tickets. They take up space on the app that make it hard to find my annual pass, so I still use the physical pass.

The consensus that I'm seeing here is that people are bummed about losing the maps, but it wouldn't be such a bad thing if the app worked more effectively. I hope that the Universal lurkers on the boards are taking the feedback seriously.
That is interesting, for my passes we were required by universal to go to the ticket window to get them or we couldn't enter the park. We were only given a QR code for all 5 tickets with instructions to show the QR code at the ticket window. Ironically for a company trying to go green with maps it said I needed to print the e-mail. I did not, I knew they would scan it from my phone, which they did. They then gave us our actual passes which we use to enter the park and Express after 4 PM. But we had no ability to enter the park prior to getting those passes.

I agree, it wouldn't be a big deal if their app was better. And I understand some chalk it up to generational stuff but my 13 year old agrees the app is bad and needs updated. She also took a map when I said this is the last chance to get a map.

Reactions: gator and Nico
I agree, it wouldn't be a big deal if their app was better. And I understand some chalk it up to generational stuff but my 13 year old agrees the app is bad and needs updated. She also took a map when I said this is the last chance to get a map.

I agree, the Universal app isn't as intuitive and helpful to the parkgoing experience as they make it out to be.

Would you guys be OK with no maps if each park sold a special commemorative map? I'd love to have a fancy foil IOA map.

.I'd like to see a 1 pg. pamphlet like WDW does that lists show times (Street shows, Bourne, Horror Make Up, Potter shows) in the Studios park for that day. IOA doesn't really have any meaningful shows so they don't need one there. That would be real helpful.

I agree, the Universal app isn't as intuitive and helpful to the parkgoing experience as they make it out to be.

Would you guys be OK with no maps if each park sold a special commemorative map? I'd love to have a fancy foil IOA map.
I actually think they should sell the old map for $1 and add a commemorative for $15. Then fix the app. If they did that I would have no issues with getting rid of free maps. I agree it is terrible for the environment and I do try to do more electronic myself and less paper. But the key is having a better app. Top things I would change for the app:

1. Truly link AP to your account you log into so that you don't need to add AP later with scanning to get discount

2. When scanning QR code at restaurant take you to the restaurant you scanned. Not a list of EVERY restaurant in all parks/hotel/citywalk (this will get worse with Epic)

3. Allow filters to be saved and defaulting allowed to be saved. This way when I am in IOA I can save that filter for my entire time in IOA, then when I switch parks I can save the filter to be something different. With defaulting, allow me to select rides and it bring the list not the map. The map was less important to me and more the list of attractions with wait times/next show times.

4. Fix Premier pass linking so that app can be used instead of physical pass if user wants this.

5. Mobile ordering needs to be WAY less clunky and substitutions of sides and toppings for burgers/sandwiches need to able to be customized. I went to Bento recently and when you click an item to order the next screen shows all toppings and you can click to get rid of it. Then bring you to a screen where you pick sides. With the less clunky it shouldn't take a minute to bring up subtotal when you add your AP discount to the app. Also, when you add the AP, tell you, don't bring you back where it still shows the link to add AP. Instead of that link it should say "AP Added". Then you know it worked. I mean this is basic user friendly programming I learned 20 years ago lol

6. Maybe this exists and I can't find it, but every other theme park app allows you to select "take me to ride" and gives you directions. This would make the people who are going the first time who really need the map have a better experience. I know for Sea World this was hugely helpful finding the street acts for Christmas that I had never seen and didn't know where they were.

If it was new each year (and for hhn), this would solve my personal problem. That’s a bit selfish, though - there are people who want to unplug or who just don’t like using apps, and it wouldn’t be fair to them. It’s a better solution then the current one, however.

I think parks (especially Universal) have severely missed out on selling things that fans want. Stuff like large park maps that can be plastered on your desk/wall would be cool, and I wouldn't mind being charged there. But no way I'm paying $ for the standard park map that used to be free.

I think parks (especially Universal) have severely missed out on selling things that fans want. Stuff like large park maps that can be plastered on your desk/wall would be cool, and I wouldn't mind being charged there. But no way I'm paying $ for the standard park map that used to be free.
You look at the spectacular merch at Tokyo Disney compared to what American parks get and it’s night and day. The USA is supposed to be world leader in pushing overpriced knick-knacks!

The main thing Uni needs is more ride and land and restaurant specific merch. I want figures of Minions riding every attraction in the park! I want shirts and socks and pins and everything else featuring ETs weird alien friends!

You look at the spectacular merch at Tokyo Disney compared to what American parks get and it’s night and day. The USA is supposed to be world leader in pushing overpriced knick-knacks!

The main thing Uni needs is more ride and land and restaurant specific merch. I want figures of Minions riding every attraction in the park! I want shirts and socks and pins and everything else featuring ETs weird alien friends!
IOA is the 3rd most popular park in the US and all there is available is a pin and a keychain. They keep coming out with standard Universal gear each year, give IOA some love this year for its 25th.

Article, with some official words from Universal.

Universal Orlando will no longer offer paper park maps at its theme parks, encouraging guests to use the official Universal Orlando app for park information.

I would've preferred to see a physical sign with a park map if they're going to use that for QR codes. Shopping malls have them and it could display dynamic information like showtimes that day on one of the flaps. If you're trying drastically cut down on phone time while on vacation this isn't helping.

If they are still printing them at the parks on-demand they should've stuck a message about that there too. I also like the idea of a freshly printed park map from the day of my visit in a "this was made just for me" way. As long as it's a visually nicer version and not a plainer one they want you to print at home.

Park maps and ticket stubs feel so important on a personal level years later. Rummaging through a box and coming across an old map from a place you forgot you visited only once a long time ago isn't the same on a phone. It's a cool historical reminder of what the park was like at that time too.

I know a couple of other people mentioned it but I too wonder if EU will have printed park maps available for the first year already, you'll still have to ask if you remember at Guest Services, or if it'll all be digital. Like of course I want a physical map of a new park!

Install coin-operated dispensers by the entry to the parks.
Put that next to a change machine and more of those penny press machines and you might have something worthwhile.

My main issue with this emphasis on the 'complete digital experience' is that it seems ultimately intended that it will be the only way to fully experience the Universal Orlando parks. This during a time, when as expected, the studies are basically telling us that 'overt' use of smartphones are injurious to one's physical, mental and emotional well being and overt use during youth creates learning issues. Additionally, the studies have been indicating that people need to back off the use of smartphones during vacations and other rest periods. Even Disney surveys are showing guest dissatisfaction with having to use their phones in the parks all day while vacationing. Universal seems to be doing this at the wrong time.....Fine if they want to push their app on those that want their phones in their face all day. But the procedures shouldn't be making it less park friendly for guests that want to get away from the 'phone pressures' and nervously waiting and responding to that next click while on vacation.

Fine if they want to push their app on those that want their phones in their face all day.
I wouldn't really necessarily you need to have your phone "in your face all day."

Want to know show times? Open the app, check show times, close the app.

Want to know the wait times? Open the app, scroll through the wait times, close the app.

I get being upset about physical maps being unavailable but Uni is FAR behind what Disney requires on one's phone.

but Uni is FAR behind what Disney requires on one's phone.
I'm not sure if this is true, but I also don't think it matters. If Universal makes more of the experience smartphone dependent, it won't matter to me that it's worse down I-4. They're both incentivizing a type of vacation experience I don't particularly want. I think there are solutions to this beyond printing physical maps, but it remains to be seen if either of these major resorts intends to do the work to find them.

I wouldn't really necessarily you need to have your phone "in your face all day."

Want to know show times? Open the app, check show times, close the app.

Want to know the wait times? Open the app, scroll through the wait times, close the app.

I get being upset about physical maps being unavailable but Uni is FAR behind what Disney requires on one's phone.
Yes, but that's just the start. It's a process of Smartphone creep. They're slowly pushing the restaurant requirements in that direction. And if the rumor of virtual lines for Express end up happening that would be pretty encompassing. But, bottom line is that a guest shouldn't have to carry a phone in the park in order to receive a 'full' experience.

Yes, but that's just the start. It's a process of Smartphone creep. They're slowly pushing the restaurant requirements in that direction. And if the rumor of virtual lines for Express end up happening that would be pretty encompassing. But, bottom line is that a guest shouldn't have to carry a phone in the park in order to receive a 'full' experience.

It does seem to follow trends in other areas though. Want to go to a sporting event or concert? Need ticket on your phone since there are no physical tickets. Want to pay for parking at a garage or street parking? Download the app or text this number to pay for parking. I still wish there were paper maps but I feel like it's not a huge leap to have people use their phones. I mean everyone in queues are already using their phones while waiting.