Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 137 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone has posted about this yet, but Volcano Bay is now added to the 'Resort Wide Map' on UO's website. Fast and Furious also confirmed for 2018 on it:
28360849476_4ed5192c46_b.jpg

Universal Orlando Resort Downloadable Park Maps

I'm gonna keep this link in case anyone asks if Universal's added anything new in the X amount of years since their last visit.

Im a complete novice on this but this type of rock work being done is different than how the rock work is being done on avatar. Can any one explain the different ways? @Teebin
I'm so tempted to say "yeah, this one is being done in one year rather than 26 years", but I will hold my tongue...

I'm curious as well what the differences are..it looks almost identical to how Kong's rock work was done..

Im a complete novice on this but this type of rock work being done is different than how the rock work is being done on avatar. Can any one explain the different ways? @Teebin

This a slightly newer technique apparently developed by Nassal. It started with Kong and continues now.

Disney is probably still using the steel mesh backing behind the rebar. That technique has been around for a long time but the mesh is sharp as a razor and heavy. Nassal is using this newer fabric that looks like a cross between burlap and mill felt. The benefit to this is that it doesn't leave a ton of concrete mess on the ground below, is not sharp and appears light as a feather. I have not yet handled that fabric, but I have TRIED to get my hands on a piece of it.

Next time you go to Universal, there is a crevice just before the Hogwarts entrance and you can walk up in there and see up into the courtyard from below. The ground is covered with concrete "poops" that leaked through the steel mesh. A waste of concrete and super messy.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

I think the difference here is they broke it down to jigsaw pieces and fabricated them off site with the metal lath attached rather than building the frame in place then spraying the gunning over it and sculpting. I don't know if this saves time but Pandora was mostly built in place rather than having the skin assembled from small pieces.

Reactions: twebber55
I think the difference here is they broke it down to jigsaw pieces and fabricated them off site with the metal lath attached rather than building the frame in place then spraying the gunning over it and sculpting. I don't know if this saves time but Pandora was mostly built in place rather than having the skin assembled from small pieces.

Actually, the first I ever heard of this rebar technique was developed by Disney for the tree of life or everest or both. They scan a large sculpted model into a kinda cgi and then that data is chopped up into the puzzle and the rebar bent by machines controlled by computers for each panel.

Last edited:

Can't wait to see that blue slide go in! hopefully before the new CB rooms are built up too much blocking the view!

Also does it start too look like some of the rock work is being rendered in the grey area to the right on the image below? I am not familiar with the process so just speculating at why it is a different colour. We can also see the obvious openings forming now for slides exiting the volcano now that more rock work is going up. Gives a clearer image of where the slides will be located.

Volcano-Bay-Waterpark-Construction-Universal-Orlando-Resort-075.jpg

MGM/Hollywood Studios went up so quick they wanted to beat the opening of Universal Studios Florida.
Now they don't care anymore about the guest experience an they take their time, it's cheaper.

Reactions: Mike S
Status
Not open for further replies.