Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The unintended consequence of virtual lines is that people need a window to return and some won't return. Which is math no one seems to have figured out yet - as seen in the spike of FP wait times throughout the day at various rides.

Tapu is more fluid in that it's not promising a specific return time - from what we can tell, rather works like a restaurant and pages you - but how long do you have to return?

In a traditional park each slide of a group of 4 racers at most has a 5-10min wait. Why bother with tapu on those?

Will they?

If they don't tapu everything, those slides will get overloaded as people try to slide while virtually waiting in line to slide.

As for the the non-returners, I'm sure they can figure a system that tells the computer that people missed their window and they need to either speed up everyone's return times or just pluck a few random people for immediate times to fill the gaps. I'd say the bigger issue would be the slowdowns from people who get to the top and take more time for whatever reason. Then they have to back everyone's wait times off to prevent over queueing. The question is how much queue do they anticipate holding on these rides. There has to be some to maintain capacity, but too much and people complain about false advertising. It'll be computer controlled I'm sure, but it's an interesting dynamic.

The unintended consequence of virtual lines is that people need a window to return and some won't return. Which is math no one seems to have figured out yet - as seen in the spike of FP wait times throughout the day at various rides.

Tapu is more fluid in that it's not promising a specific return time - from what we can tell, rather works like a restaurant and pages you - but how long do you have to return?

In a traditional park each slide of a group of 4 racers at most has a 5-10min wait. Why bother with tapu on those?

Will they?
15 mins.

Maybe, I see it as an answer to "how do I get to x". By having colored awnings and (somewhat) visible slides it solves an issue I've seen at other parks on finding your bearings. Would signage or something else be a better decision?

I think my main issue was with the completely forgettable names for rides. I think maps will suffice and have done a good job for years.

What I'm forgetting though is that Tapu Tapu will have the names at arms length so it kind of doesn't really matter.

This also really becomes a delicate matter choosing between theming and accessibility. Sure you want the park to look like a volcano paradise but people have to see the goods.

Will they?

The key difference here is that the system has he ability to become dynamic. I assume there will always be a small wait for the ride as a buffer to keep the rides at maximum capacity.

It really comes down to how good the window is for your return time. If it's an hour window, I can see isssues but if it's 15mins then not so much.

Since the system can also be dynamic, if people don't show then the system could always alert people earlier which I'm sure most people would be happy to.

It seems to be more of a page system than a reservation.

At this point, pretty much everything here is just speculation. I think we could all give a wishlist of what we want.

Given that alerts can be sent out, I'd love to see random gifts sent out to different people throughout the day. You get an alert that you've won a free ice cream would be a cheap thing for Universal but you can guarantee it's going to put a massive smile on the person who wins it.

I had a thought - Universal has had a policy for years of not letting you hold a place in line for others. They have now adopted a system that electronically holds a place in line for you? I wonder how that conversation went?

I had a thought - Universal has had a policy for years of not letting you hold a place in line for others. They have now adopted a system that electronically holds a place in line for you? I wonder how that conversation went?
"People are doing the thing we asked them not to do"..."Fine, invent a technology that makes it acceptable"

No new info on tickets but Taylor does know who to ask questions of so I think they are not going to do single day tickets for now. Maybe they do not want locals in an effort to shed the Wet n' Wild image forever

5 top Volcano Bay questions (and our best answers)

It's going to get complicated with 1 day tickets and pass holders. I don't want to add Volcano Bay to my pass and I'll want the option to do a 1 day ticket every couple of years.

It's moreso the concern that it'll be like Fastpass and artificially inflate the wait time making it impossible to do the whole park in a day when realistically that's very possible without the system.
Just like everyone's concerns that Hogwarts Express would post 3+ hour lines and have the worst capacity of any theme park attraction of all time. And that totally did happen. Biggest disaster in theme park history, and certainly worth talking about for several months before-hand, because it definitely wasn't a non issue in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.