Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A logo is extremely important in establishing a brand. As far as logo design goes, this one is not good.

The off-the-shelf retro font does not match the contemporary iOS flat app logo above it (which will look outdated in 5 years)

And a wave in front of a volcano -- a total rip off of typhoon lagoon's OG logo.

But design nerds like me are the only one that care about this stuff. The public won't realize, except possibly in a subconscious level.

Why are we even comparing it to logos that were made in the 90's? As if nearly all logos haven't been updated since then to reflect something more modern.

Uni should have made the logo closer to this:

200px-TyphoonLagoonWaterParkColor.png

Relaxing but exciting and conveying the park's icon.
Typhoon Lagoon has the best Water Park Logo!

Since everyone is a critic... I challenge to make a better logo.
Or those whose job it is to come up with a stand out/iconic logo could've done that. I honestly don't see why everyone is so defensive of the logo as if criticizing it isn't even allowed. It's trivial, certainly, but what else is there to talk about with this right now?

There's no issue in talking about this for the time being imo. If someone posts pictures, great, we move on. But someone posted a picture of a logo, that's the latest we have to discuss right now here.

Or those whose job it is to come up with a stand out/iconic logo could've done that. I honestly don't see why everyone is so defensive of the logo as if criticizing it isn't even allowed. It's trivial, certainly, but what else is there to talk about with this right now?

There's no issue in talking about this for the time being imo. If someone posts pictures, great, we move on. But someone posted a picture of a logo, that's the latest we have to discuss right now here.

I never said there was an issue talking about. But since we're talking about it, I challenged people who were critical to come up with a better one because I can flip your statement and say I don't see why anyone is so critical of the logo.

As you said, it's trivial but everyone wants to be a critic about it.

As someone who's been involved in graphic design, and I'm sure others can attest, you make what your told. The graphics people were probably told to keep it simple. IMO, not every logo has to be grandiose.

Colors, lines, font all play a factor. Blue/Green conveys tropical/water. The font looks like a retro/tiki vibe. It works. Could it have been better? Sure, but I like it. The simplicity of the logo may be a better pay off for merch.

I never said there was an issue talking about. But since we're talking about it, I challenged people who were critical to come up with a better one because I can flip your statement and say I don't see why anyone is so critical of the logo.

As you said, it's trivial but everyone wants to be a critic about it.

As someone who's been involved in graphic design, and I'm sure others can attest, you make what your told. The graphics people were probably told to keep it simple. IMO, not every logo has to be grandiose.

Colors, lines, font all play a factor. Blue/Green conveys tropical/water. The font looks like a retro/tiki vibe. It works. Could it have been better? Sure, but I like it. The simplicity of the logo may be a better pay off for merch.
I appreciate a reasoned response and get that the designers come up with something along the lines of what they are described. My point was though, you are calling everyone a critic. I simply see it as people having opinions. Everybody has them.

Just because some don't care for it doesn't mean they are all of a sudden haters as some want to insinuate or that we should go draw a better one (I actually think it's fine, I just expected something, well... more). No one who was saying they didn't like it was being rude initially, so what I don't get is when a few people display opinions that some oppose, others have to get nasty and start mocking the situation.

Things like that are what made Magic the mess that it is.

Last edited:
Since everyone is a critic... I challenge to make a better logo.
I mean, we don't have to experts in a craft to say something doesn't look appealing lol. Saying that is like saying "you don't like Antarctica? I challenge you to build a better ride" :tongue:

As for my opinion on the logo, meh. It's just not exciting to me. Look at IOA's logo, it just generates epic feelings and a sense of adventure. This? Looks like a logo for a spa. The tone they might be going for is relaxing, but it's something that doesn't catch the eye. Whatever it's a year till opening, things will change

I appreciate a reasoned response and get that the designers come up with something along the lines of what they are described. My point was though, you are calling everyone a critic. I simply see it as people having opinions. Everybody has them.

Just because some don't care for it doesn't mean they are all of a sudden haters as some want to insinuate or that we should go draw a better one (I actually think it's fine, I just expected something, well... more). No one who was saying they didn't like it was being rude initially, so what I don't get is when a few people display opinions that some oppose, others have to get nasty and start mocking the situation.

Things like that are what made Magic the mess that it is.

I agree with this. I am indifferent, neither like or hate it. Like others said it could have been better. But some of the supporters of the logo have gone to extremes saying people who hate it won't visit or things like that. No one said they hate the logo and that means the park will suck. They just don't like one aspect of it. I am sure as more stuff comes out some people will like something and others wont, but agai, it doesn't mean just because they don't like a logo, slide, etc they won't go to the park and enjoy themselves. They still have the right not to like it and to speak up about their opinion.

Reactions: Nick
It isn't particularly striking and memorable but ultimately I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves with jumping to conclusions about the logo. It's likely a placeholder for the time being.

See early IOA logo's:

ioa_g_3_1.jpg
ioa_g_3_2.jpg
ioa3logo.jpg

Edit: The last one was an alternate IOA logo found on promotional material and official documents.

It isn't particularly striking and memorable but ultimately I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves with jumping to conclusions about the logo. It's likely a placeholder for the time being.

See early IOA logo's:

ioa_g_3_1.jpg
ioa_g_3_2.jpg
ioa3logo.jpg

Edit: The last one was an alternate IOA logo found on promotional material and official documents.

Wow, I've never seen the second and third ones, thanks for posting those.

Reactions: universal_fanatic
Status
Not open for further replies.